Leopard wrasse help

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male Leopard bipartitus was fine today. Have had him a couple months. Looked very healthy, ate well. Then Did a 10 gallon water change in my 75 gal display. Now I came back about two hours later to feed. Noticed my tomini tang acting a bit skittish, so I looked around and the leopard is laying on the sand. Not on his side, and not heavy breathing. But definitely not normal. I don’t know what could have happened. Temp : 78 deg, ammonia: 0 nitrite:0 nitrate:10-15. Water comes from my rodi unit. Other fish include melanarus wrasse, lineatus wrasse, and tomini tang all of which are acting normal and look very healthy. Any input would be appreciated

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a picture but he is on the other side of my scape. He’s just laying on the sand up against a rock. Also, I do not see any injury or anything noticeable on the body

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to think of would be some issue with the water change. However, I presume you've done water changes like this without issues in the past? Any chance of something contaminating your water change container? Not sure how your RO/DI is set up, but could the water have been stale? What brand of salt do you use?

In reality,the water change probably isn't the sole issue, you could probably add 10 gallons of RO/DI straight to a 75 gallon and the fish wouldn't even bat an eye (well, maybe a bipartitus would - grin).

Jay

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to think of would be some issue with the water change. However, I presume you've done water changes like this without issues in the past? Any chance of something contaminating your water change container? Not sure how your RO/DI is set up, but could the water have been stale? What brand of salt do you use?

In reality,the water change probably isn't the sole issue, you could probably add 10 gallons of RO/DI straight to a 75 gallon and the fish wouldn't even bat an eye (well, maybe a bipartitus would - grin).

Jay
I use IO reef crystals. Never have had any problems.. I noticed when I first saw him, he was in a cave next to my bta. The bta is recently new addition about two weeks. However, I didn't see any marks on his body.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO reef crystals. Never have had any problems.. I noticed when I first saw him, he was in a cave next to my bta. The bta is recently new addition about two weeks. However, I didn't see any marks on his body.
Reef Crystals has trace ammonia in it, often mixes up at 0.20 ppm. However, 10 gallons out of 75 would dilute that down to next to nothing.

Next idea - the fish got spooked and tangled with the BTA. You won't see sting marks right away from that, but the fish WILL act off.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals has trace ammonia in it, often mixes up at 0.20 ppm. However, 10 gallons out of 75 would dilute that down to next to nothing.

Next idea - the fish got spooked and tangled with the BTA. You won't see sting marks right away from that, but the fish WILL act off.

Jay
Would that be the best case scenario here..? How potent can a sting be? I’m hoping that’s all it is and he recovers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What was the water change temperature compared to tank temperature?
What is RO TDS?
wait at least 12 hrs before testing ammonia and nitrates after a water change as you’ll likely get false readings

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the water change temperature compared to tank temperature?
What is RO TDS?
wait at least 12 hrs before testing ammonia and nitrates after a water change as you’ll likely get false readings
TDS read 0. when I did the water change tank went from 77.5 to 76.5 and quickly went to 77-78

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note... I siphoned my sand bed during the water change in the corner where detritus typically builds up. I do this frequently and never have a problem. Could this be a problem?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Side note... I siphoned my sand bed during the water change in the corner where detritus typically builds up. I do this frequently and never have a problem. Could this be a problem?
Possibly especially if it created a short ammonia spike

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be the best case scenario here..? How potent can a sting be? I’m hoping that’s all it is and he recovers.

Sorry, I can't hazard a guess about the BTA sting - depends on too many variables. I've not seen them kill and eat healthy fish though (unlike carpet anemones).

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back