Leopard wrasse stopped eating/ seems blind

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a leopard wrasse who has been in my care for about 3 years. She’s probly doubled in size in that time and has always been a voracious feeder and packed on the pounds. Within the past week or two she has stopped feeding and lost a little weight. I suspect there is an underlying fluke problem as I see my potters angel do the classic head shake from time to time. The other damsel and clownfish pair in the tank seem ok. These fish are currently in a 75 gallon with only rock and sand but within the month will be transferred to my new 500 gallon reef (was really hoping to get the leopard over to that tank but now dealing with this problem really sucks). I treated the tank with prazi about 3 days ago and she does seem a little bit better but still not feeding. She swims normal sometimes but then will bump into rocks some times and I did notice today doing the head shaking a little bit. She seems interested in food but swims up to it and almost seems like she’s blind and can’t find it. Do you all think this might be flukes or something neurological like she dove into the sand and hit the glass bottom? If it’s flukes should I continue to treat the tank or freshwater dip or move to QT?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You may want to give each a FW dip with same temperature as display tank in dark bucket. Give it to them for 5 mins and return them to display and see if you see what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales on bottom of bucket - those are flukes.
Also check ammonia, ph and water temp to assure the eyes are not susceptible to ammonia burn.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a leopard wrasse who has been in my care for about 3 years. She’s probly doubled in size in that time and has always been a voracious feeder and packed on the pounds. Within the past week or two she has stopped feeding and lost a little weight. I suspect there is an underlying fluke problem as I see my potters angel do the classic head shake from time to time. The other damsel and clownfish pair in the tank seem ok. These fish are currently in a 75 gallon with only rock and sand but within the month will be transferred to my new 500 gallon reef (was really hoping to get the leopard over to that tank but now dealing with this problem really sucks). I treated the tank with prazi about 3 days ago and she does seem a little bit better but still not feeding. She swims normal sometimes but then will bump into rocks some times and I did notice today doing the head shaking a little bit. She seems interested in food but swims up to it and almost seems like she’s blind and can’t find it. Do you all think this might be flukes or something neurological like she dove into the sand and hit the glass bottom? If it’s flukes should I continue to treat the tank or freshwater dip or move to QT?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
In my experience I’ve noticed quite a few marine fish that I’ve treated get cloudy eyes as a result of flukes. I wouldn’t doubt that that could be causing it, especially with the other symptoms such as not eating as that’s also typical with flukes. I would do a three minute freshwater dip, avoid as much stress as possible though. I would also keep the fish quarantined and continue treating with prazipro. Try garlic guard to convince her to eat, it’s also helpful to stick to a corner or spot while she’s struggling with her vision so she knows where food will be if she wants it. - kali

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did the FW dip for 5 minutes, honestly didn’t see anything come off her in the bottom of the black bucket. She was returned to the tank to limit stress and then spent the entire next day in the sand bed. To my surprise she came out of the sand this morning. Unfortunately she still is not eating and continues to bump into rocks on the bottom of the tank as she swims. I honestly think she might be blind although there does not appear to be anything visually wrong with her eyes and they continue to move around in their socket as though she’s still looking at things. Any other thoughts guys?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back