Leopard Wrasse

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, quick question. I know leopard wrasses are difficult fish to keep. My ifs has one who is already eating frozen. My tank has a copepod population and I'm willing to add extra copepods. Would it be a good idea to dose live brine shrimp too from algae barn? I know that I need to treat for intestinal parasites and I already have a peaceful tank with a deep sand bed. I've tried to do my research but was wondering if live brine would be a good food choice too. Thanks in advance.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an established pod population and the wrasse is eating frozen, I see no need for dealing with live brine as well. Doesnt hurt, but not necessary.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey All, quick question. I know leopard wrasses are difficult fish to keep. My ifs has one who is already eating frozen. My tank has a copepod population and I'm willing to add extra copepods. Would it be a good idea to dose live brine shrimp too from algae barn? I know that I need to treat for intestinal parasites and I already have a peaceful tank with a deep sand bed. I've tried to do my research but was wondering if live brine would be a good food choice too. Thanks in advance.
While you definitely do not have to, in could help to prevent the wrasse from going through your pod population too quickly. We do have a Mandarin feeder kit which includes pods, nano brine, and can o cyclops- giving you 3 different food varieties to add for the wrasse :)

ANother option would be to get some of our simple brine and hatch the brine shrimp as needed.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its eating it isnt an issue, mine now mostly prefers pellets to anything else. Mine went from mysis, to LRS reef frenzy, to literally everything that i put into the tank now.
Thank you, I've just read so much on that they can be difficult I wanted to make sure i was prepared. : )

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "hard" part of this fish being hard, is getting them to eat. Once they start to take to prepared foods(if they ever do), the hard part goes out the window.

Everyone I've ever owned(currently have a black, and melagris) took to mysis first, then some LRS, and eventually on to pellets. Once they start eating basically anything you put in the tank, they are a very easy fish to keep.

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always surprised to hear these fish are hard. I got one relatively early on and it's not been an issue at all. I made sure it was already taking frozen in the store, so I guess that's why I was successful. About three months in it randomly started eating pellet and flake foods – unlike the other fish that often won't chase food or pick it up off the sand/rocks, this fish actively goes around eating anything leftovers. It's also the most active swimmer in the tank so I assume that's why it's so ferocious.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always surprised to hear these fish are hard. I got one relatively early on and it's not been an issue at all. I made sure it was already taking frozen in the store, so I guess that's why I was successful. About three months in it randomly started eating pellet and flake foods – unlike the other fish that often won't chase food or pick it up off the sand/rocks, this fish actively goes around eating anything leftovers. It's also the most active swimmer in the tank so I assume that's why it's so ferocious.
Great little unknown pest hunters they are(probably a close first in my book at pest hunting). Most won't tell you how great at hunting they are, simply because of how delicate they are to keep.

You got lucky in that it was already eating frozen, thats why it was easy for you. I've had some in the past that would waste away to death simply because they would not take to a prepared diet.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back