Leptogorgia Virgulata, aka Colorful Whip Coral: Photosynthetic or not?

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all,

I probably should have asked here first before doing something stupid, but I’ve scoured the web without a clear answer and mostly decided to just give it a shot...

I was on the SC coast recently and a few small yellow colorful sea whips were growing as fouling organisms off a public dock. Seeing as this was an opportunity, I considered taking them but decided to wait and do more research. After a week of not getting more info (and not asking here because aforementioned stupidity), I decided to just risk it and grab one or two to try and keep. I wanted to know if they were photosynthetic or not, and what I should do to keep them well.

Thanks for any and all help! I’ll add pics tomorrow if I can get some polyp extension outta them

OP
OP
LegalReefer

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Really would appreciate some help or advice on this one.

Here are some photos btw. It extended its polyps last night but has not done so since, and seems to be shedding that brown film as gorgonians are often wont to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 33

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This seems like it may have the info we need. I can't access it right now but posting here to check up on it later. But if you happen to have access, could see if it says anything on whether the gorgonian is photosynthetic or not.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back