Lesion on leopard wrasse

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Moyer’s leopard wrasse in unmediated QT (along with a meleagris leopard wrasse) for about 10 days. He’d been doing great, eating frozen and live black worms through yesterday when I noticed this lesion on his side. It’s white and slightly raised. It was smaller yesterday and I thought maybe he scraped himself on the rocks. I do have a dish of sand in there, but he often winds up elsewhere on the bare bottom or behind the rocks at night. Or perhaps it was the Sally lightfoot crab that got a piece of him.

Today the lesion seems a little bigger. He seems to be swimming around fine, but I haven’t been able to tell how well he’s eating yet. So far I’ve just dosed some Melafix in the tank. Any thoughts about what’s going on and what I need to do for treatment? I have the common antibiotics, Ruby, and Paraguard if necessary. Do I need to pull him out and treat?

2C848DA9-E49E-44BA-805C-326BFABFE168.jpeg 6FAA7BF7-4E09-4D25-BDA2-FAC5560174C9.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say for sure, but when I hear "new wrasse" and "wound on its side" I can respond with "it's Uronema" and be right more than half the time. The only thing that points me away from that diagnosis in this case is that the lesion is white, not reddish like I'd expect. Is the fish's mouth bunged up a bit also?

Here is an article I posted on R2R about Uronema:

Jay

OP
OP
G

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, a little confused... What do you mean by "bunged up a bit?" By the way, thank you for responding.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first picture , the mouth looks damaged at the top...may just be the picture?
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back