Lesions on tang

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

Ok so I’ve asked about this before but I am able to get much better images now that I’ve got him in the copper QT.

I’ve had him in Coppersafe at 2.5 for three days. During that time the lesions over his right eye have decreased along with a spot that was at the base of his left pectoral fin but today he has a new larger lesion at the top of his left pectoral fin. I have not done any dips. I did treat the entire DT with Pratzi which had no effect. Not sure if copper is having any effect.

Been struggling with this for a couple of months. These lesions come and go. One will go away and another will pop up. It’s mostly been confined to near eyes and one side of his body. He is active and eats very well. Not breathing fast. He gets excited when I sit in front of the tank, guess he’s looking for food from me. He normally doesn’t swim up and down like in the video, I guess he was just doing it because my phone is red and I was videoing him lol
F49CBB8E-5D83-499F-B9F7-82F08346B155.jpeg
86F91E65-5CD1-400C-929C-C910FEDB8F06.jpeg
AE8974DE-DB3E-44C7-A985-6E06276CBE2A.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The youtube does not play for me.

The areas you have circled are not ich nor velvet, so, copper treatment will have no effect.

The area above the eye may be HLLE

The white "lesions" may be lymphosistis, mucus plugs, or perhaps an infected scrape or cut.

If they tend to come and go and no sign of infection, you can either take a wait and see approach, or you could perhaps treat with an antibiotic like kanaplex as a precautionary step.

@Jay Hemdal has written an article about HLLE which you may want to read since tangs are very susceptible to it. Do a search in articles for it.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The youtube does not play for me.

The areas you have circled are not ich nor velvet, so, copper treatment will have no effect.

The area above the eye may be HLLE

The white "lesions" may be lymphosistis, mucus plugs, or perhaps an infected scrape or cut.

If they tend to come and go and no sign of infection, you can either take a wait and see approach, or you could perhaps treat with an antibiotic like kanaplex as a precautionary step.

@Jay Hemdal has written an article about HLLE which you may want to read since tangs are very susceptible to it. Do a search in articles for it.
I will read it! Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall every seeing a Naso tang develop HLLE. I ran a Google search and only found one similar image, and it referred back to a thread here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...e-or-some-other-flesh-eating-parasite.881832/

Sorry, I don't know what is causing those head lesions. The lesion on the fin could be Lymphocystis, but more likely is bacterial. You could dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, but it may also go away on its own. Copper won't help or hurt that.

What are you treating the fish with copper?

jay

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just upgraded to a larger tank and I didn’t want to put him in there until I could figure out what he had. I figured since Copper is the QT d
I don't recall every seeing a Naso tang develop HLLE. I ran a Google search and only found one similar image, and it referred back to a thread here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...e-or-some-other-flesh-eating-parasite.881832/

Sorry, I don't know what is causing those head lesions. The lesion on the fin could be Lymphocystis, but more likely is bacterial. You could dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, but it may also go away on its own. Copper won't help or hurt that.

What are you treating the fish with copper?

jay
rug of choice and I already had it set up I would put him in. Can you recommend a good broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic? Thank you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add, the worst thing about going to the hospital is the lousy food.

Besides the medicine, highly recommend fresh chopped seafood (shrimp, clams, etc) for the naso while it has to spend time in the hospital. If you feed it good it might not want to go back to the display? But good food will improve prognosis ime.

Glove Penetration GIF

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually feed those things to all my fishe every day but he’s a real fuss budget. He’ll eat a whole lot of mysis though. I’ve been adding Selcon to his food. He likes Nori and shrimp, turns his nose up at chopped seafood, pellets and sinking algae. I have a variety of foods but no flaked food.

since I’ve spent over 6 months cumulatively as an inpatient after 6 major bowel surgeries the past several years I can agree with you that hospital food is the worst! Though much of the time I couldn’t eat anyway. If I never see broth or jello again it will be too soon! I also spent most of my adult life as a critical care nurse - well versed in hospital food .

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just upgraded to a larger tank and I didn’t want to put him in there until I could figure out what he had. I figured since Copper is the QT d

rug of choice and I already had it set up I would put him in. Can you recommend a good broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic? Thank you.
Choosing an antibiotic is always a guess. For humans, doctors will run a sensitivity test to see what works. We don't have that luxury. I just pick a likely product and use it as directed for 5 to 7 days to see if it helps. One of my go-to drugs is Neoplex. Other people use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 in conjunction. Kanamycin is also used,

Jay

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choosing an antibiotic is always a guess. For humans, doctors will run a sensitivity test to see what works. We don't have that luxury. I just pick a likely product and use it as directed for 5 to 7 days to see if it helps. One of my go-to drugs is Neoplex. Other people use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 in conjunction. Kanamycin is also used,

Jay
I have Kanaplex on hand and saw in one of your answers on another thread that it can be used with copper. I did a 50% water change to reduce the copper level since it’s not useful in this case. He has been sharing a tank with a Diamond goby and two ocillaris clowns and they are all fine with no signs of illness or lesions. I did treat the old display with Rally Reef for three days before moving everything

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back