less than 2 years and this $480 mp40 is more trash than a 1989 reebok pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree that their pumps are great but taking away WXM support on Neptune so they can push their GARBAGE Mobius ecosystem was a bad move. It's like all the smart ones left after they designed those great pumps and they let the C tier morons run loose in the Mobius department.

Their developers are simply not skilled and it shows.

You can still downgrade the MP firmware and use WXM for the pumps….

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if all the disconnect issues with the lights and controllers are software or due to the fact that they put junk chips on the units themselves. If the latter is true then most likely the MXM wont save us.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10 years in the hobby I finally bought 2 MP40s to replace some old Jebao’s I had that were still working. I’m not sure what all the hype is about. One of the two I bought had a warped dry side. BRS was kind enough to exchange that for me and the replacement was also warped, but not bad enough to cause more sound issues. They are not noisy pumps but definitely audible, all of my Jebao starting with the RW series have been much quieter. Because of there nature they have limited mounting and zero directionality. I knew this but they say MPs have “WIDE FLOW”. I 100% disagree with this statement. It may be wider than a tunze but to say “WIDE FLOW PATTERN” is just darn right false. Frankly they weren’t a waste of money because they work, and have a lot of power, but definitely not anything special. I would say probably the most disappointing purchase I have ever made for my reef tank.

PS,
They may not have wires in the tank. But the GIANT housing on the exterior is distracting. Many visitors don’t even care that I have a piece of the ocean in my living room. But they all ask “what are those huge things sticking out of your tank?” It’s always a question because you can see the wires & earmuffs from across the house.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao is way better than eco tech no doubt, I agree with above, everyone likes to wire but is fine with a giant motor stuck to outside of tank, looks terrible,

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have used many different pumps. My experience is MP’s for round style pumps and Maxspect for broad gyre pumps.

In particular the flow back into the pump is much better than others that I have used.

Cleaning wise, it is nice to just turn off the pump, reach in with my grabber and get the wet side, take to the sink and disassemble, clean, replace with grabber and back in action.

I find the scheduler in Mobius easier than the WXM implementation.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not understanding. I am saying the powerhead that doesn’t exist for sale yet (but a manufacturer wants to make) may infringe on that patent.
They are waiting for it to expire to announce that they have a new powerhead for sale.
My original point was why would someone need to wait for a patent to expire if the product is so bad, come up with a better design that doesn’t infringe on the patent…your reply is because they are waiting for the patent to expire because they’ve used part of it in their design! :anguished-face:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original point was why would someone need to wait for a patent to expire if the product is so bad, come up with a better design that doesn’t infringe on the patent…your reply is because they are waiting for the patent to expire because they’ve used part of it in their design! :anguished-face:
it’s quite possible that another company can come up with a better design but not without infringing on the original patent. Once the original patent expires they are no longer prohibited basing their improved design off of Ecotech’s. There are plenty of examples of this in other industries.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s quite possible that another company can come up with a better design but not without infringing on the original patent. Once the original patent expires they are no longer prohibited basing their improved design off of Ecotech’s. There are plenty of examples of this in other industries.

Agreed. In my opinion there are already countless better pumps, but many have a desire for a pump very similar to the mp**.....except work consistently and not need to replace pricey parts so often. That's where the patent gets in the way.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think he will understand. I already tried. Lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is odd that so many (or maybe it’s actually just a vocal minority) have problems with the vortechs. Mine have operated for years …. for 2 MP60 it will be a decade in April 2023 (for the dryside, at least), the rest were bought when the quite drive was introduced in 2015. Still on the original drysides with the occasional replacement wetside. I do agree that mobius is a train wreck, but I bought a spare WXM prior to it being discontinued as a spare.

I worked out a trick early on that may explain my longevity with these pumps. Keep one hand on the dryside and move the wetside around until you find the position of least vibration.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back