Lessons Learned - Switching to Calcium Reactor from Dosing 2 Part

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my takeaways from switching to a calcium reactor from dosing B-Ionic 2 Part

1) Achieved moderately faster growth with 2 part
2) Tank pH level is lower with calcium reactor (Use a CO2 scrubber). With 2 part I could get my pH above 8.45. Best I’ve been able with calcium reactor is 8.35.
3) Took me 2 months to dial in calcium reactor (learning curve)
4) Made mistake of removing dosing prior to getting calcium reactor dialed in
5) There seems to be equilibrium levels with calcium reactor for AlK/Calc/Mg. With 2 part you could really target certain levels. With reactor my aquarium has found certain levels (about 15% lower than 2 part)
6) Had to add a second chamber to use up CO2, and raise AlK/Calc. This really helped me get my numbers up.
7) Haven’t touched calcium reactor in a month now and numbers are stable
8) Corals have been growing well and no longer having any Alk swings and precipitation like I had with 2 part.

Curious what other Reefers have experienced switching to calcium reactors?

7C5654CD-85D1-4F41-A0A6-B7181157F89C.jpeg
94347FEC-1E28-44E4-A753-AF244E704528.jpeg

Last edited:

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a position where I want to transition from just kalkwasser in the ATO to 2 part or a reactor. I don't really have the space for a reactor but if it's better I'll figure something out. At the end of the day, is it worth it?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a position where I want to transition from just kalkwasser in the ATO to 2 part or a reactor. I don't really have the space for a reactor but if it's better I'll figure something out. At the end of the day, is it worth it?
I think at the end of the day its all going to depend on preference. What's worth to me, might not be to you.
If you have a high demand tank, then you would be better suited running a CaRX. Some have even brought their reactor online as soon as the tank was setup just so that it can be dialed in.

Some prefer 2 part even on higher demand systems cause that's what they are used to, and if it aint broke, no need to fix it.

I will say that getting into the CaRX game is costly upfront, but in the long term you will save money.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at the end of the day its all going to depend on preference. What's worth to me, might not be to you.
If you have a high demand tank, then you would be better suited running a CaRX. Some have even brought their reactor online as soon as the tank was setup just so that it can be dialed in.

Some prefer 2 part even on higher demand systems cause that's what they are used to, and if it aint broke, no need to fix it.

I will say that getting into the CaRX game is costly upfront, but in the long term you will save money.
Excellent comment on the trade offs!

Found I could better target the alk & calc parameters from 2 part but the calcium reactor is much easier to maintain once setup correctly.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used 2 part and will continue to do so. One thing that prevents me from going to a Ca reactor is that I don't have space in my stand for one, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who just doesn't have room for one.

Plus other than the up front cost of dosing pumps, 2 part is incredibly cheap if you are willing to make your own from the chemicals needed instead of buying pre-made.

One of the great things about this hobby is that there are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just moved away from a CalRx to dosing 2 part. I’d been using a CalRx for years on this tank and always used them on prior tanks. However over time it became harder to find someone willing to take on managing a CalRx while I was away. So using the Trident and Dos I find it much easier to remotely manage my tank. Things definitely grow faster and I’ve also started dosing Tropic Marin A and K and my corals have never looked better.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up- I have found calcium reactor to be easier/cheaper than just two part on a larger tank system. I also found that I still need to dose alk a little due to the media used ( triton calcium). I have also been using ESV kalk in addition for Ph testing lower. This is on 220g mixed reef that’s 3years old.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved away from a CalRx to dosing 2 part. I’d been using a CalRx for years on this tank and always used them on prior tanks. However over time it became harder to find someone willing to take on managing a CalRx while I was away. So using the Trident and Dos I find it much easier to remotely manage my tank. Things definitely grow faster and I’ve also started dosing Tropic Marin A and K and my corals have never looked better.

Do you mean you are seeing faster growth with the 2 part dosing and Tropic Marin A and K?

Or that it was faster with CalRx?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched over to CaRx about 5 years ago and have loved the relative simplicity. It definitely has a learning curve but after that it's a tweak here and there, fill the canister every few months, etc. Becomes really easy with low maintenance. The point about pH is the one main downside though adding a secondary chamber and fuge/scrubber will help this. The acidic water can even be dumped directly into the fuge which will also help algae growth.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose. I have PH issues and so would be wary of a calcium reactor. There is a financial component as I buy premixed Red Sea a/b/c but I buy them in 1.5 L containers which helps a bit. The extra money to just dump in bottles and control dosing from my phone is worth it to me. If I had a 400-500 gallon tank I may feel differently but at 120g I’m fine.

I tried mixing it and it was a PITA so that’s a no go.

I had always used kalk on smaller tanks < 60 g and coupled with a reasonable water change schedule was always successful.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade offs, but the end result is pretty close to the same with two part having the edge for high intake.

Once you get a calcium reactor dialed in they are indeed set it and forget it. The mad scientist reefer can get some bonus growth by fine tuning a two part system, but thats only if everything else is in perfect order.

Some additional comments about two part. First, you can add magnesium to your calcium component and pretty much never have to bother with magnesium testing again. Its what I do and my mag stays locked at 1350.

Next, making a price comparison based on pre mixed bottled two parts is like buying pre wadded toilet paper. The comparison needs to be made vs dry/bulk two parts that adults use...not paying shipping for jugs of bottled water.

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose. I have PH issues and so would be wary of a calcium reactor. There is a financial component as I buy premixed Red Sea a/b/c but I buy them in 1.5 L containers which helps a bit. The extra money to just dump in bottles and control dosing from my phone is worth it to me. If I had a 400-500 gallon tank I may feel differently but at 120g I’m fine.

I tried mixing it and it was a PITA so that’s a no go.

I had always used kalk on smaller tanks < 60 g and coupled with a reasonable water change schedule was always successful.
Yeah I'm having pH issues as well. I tend to get around 7.7 to 8.1 even with a recirculating co2 scrubber so I'd rather have the ability to increase pH using sodium hydroxide or soda ash components. I know people say don't chase numbers but 30% increased growth and coloration based off BRS's test of 8.3 pH is substantial. I want that.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm having pH issues as well. I tend to get around 7.7 to 8.1 even with a recirculating co2 scrubber so I'd rather have the ability to increase pH using sodium hydroxide or soda ash components. I know people say don't chase numbers but 30% increased growth and coloration based off BRS's test of 8.3 pH is substantial. I want that.
I hear you. I’m 8.2 by midday to 7.9 at night and it’s frustrating me.

the CO2 scrubber didn’t work as well as I had hoped. The CO2 scrubber plus outside air didn’t help much more. Kalk didn’t help (and I’m already dosing 2 part). A big honkin chunk of algae isn’t helping.

I’m going to try a solenoid on my skimmer air line and try for a stable 8.1 (use inside air over 8.15 and outside air under 8.1) to see if that doesn’t at least stabilize it.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I used Kalk in my top off when I was still using CalRx and it helped but it wasn't huge - I still struggled. From a dosing perspective I know some people will only dose ALK at night when PH is at it's lowest point to help bring it up.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find it very interesting that Reefers are still dosing even when they have a calcium reactor.
My experience are very similar to yours. I have fairly high consumption on ESV so made the switch. I did not take down my doser, and found instances where I needed to supplement. Dialing, empty bottle, clogging lines...blah blah.

The big drawback was lowered pH, which was never topping 8.2 to begin with. Managed to get back the lost pH with a kalkstirrer setup and scrubber. You read that right: 2-part, kalk, CaRx.

I did something stupid with the regulator and over pressurized the CaRx cracking it. Back to ESV now.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience are very similar to yours. I have fairly high consumption on ESV so made the switch. I did not take down my doser, and found instances where I needed to supplement. Dialing, empty bottle, clogging lines...blah blah.

The big drawback was lowered pH, which was never topping 8.2 to begin with. Managed to get back the lost pH with a kalkstirrer setup and scrubber. You read that right: 2-part, kalk, CaRx.

I did something stupid with the regulator and over pressurized the CaRx cracking it. Back to ESV now.
Scott - so sorry to hear about the cracked CaRX! Bummer!!!

Recently added a doser Kalk solution to also get pH higher. I’m just using a 3 gallon jug with 2 tsp of Kalk and dosing 20 ml throughout the day. Wondering if Kalk stirrer would be more effective?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back