Let’s talk generators!

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much to read here, I was a small engine mechanic. Have worked on a ton of generators over the years. Personally, I'd get the larger inverter generator at harbor freight, I think its $799-899. They basically copy the Honda generators.

If you're just using it for emergencies it will last a lifetime for you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been talking with my wife about getting a generator. She wasn't interested until the power went of for 5 hours recently. Granger has some of these
I'm not certain this the the correct size for my house, but I'll get some help from a contractor friend on the install. Electrical cords are a major source of trip and fire hazards that I don't want to deal with if the lights go out.
I hope to get one before the next world war launches. Can't be to safe.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I’ve used 12 gauge extension cords on the apex energy bars without incident. When I used a portable generator, I did install a manual transfer switch. Still have it so it’s backup for the backup.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Test fired my Honda gen yesterday and ran for 15 minutes powering a 1000W construction metal halide. I do this every six months. Started right up!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test fired my Honda gen yesterday and ran for 15 minutes powering a 1000W construction metal halide. I do this every six months. Started right up!

Exercising regularly is important for you and me ..... but CRITICAL for a generator. I failed to realize this with my first portable 25 years ago (also that leaving gas in it for years was a bad thing) so when I came to need to use it, it was a rusted brick.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Exercising regularly is important for you and me ..... but CRITICAL for a generator. I failed to realize this with my first portable 25 years ago (also that leaving gas in it for years was a bad thing) so when I came to need to use it, it was a rusted brick.

I only have about a gallon of the ethanol-free gasoline in the tank when in storage (expensive when you buy in quarts). Test every 6 months (15 minutes with load). Only pour regular gas when actually using it. Also, by recommendation from ton of people, I stop the engine it by closing the fuel line and letting it stall. I do it with all my gas power tools. Never had a problem with most starting on first or second pull.

An important thing to note is to test it with load. My friend kept testing his and it always ran fine. Hurricane came, he pulled it out, and yes it was running - but no output. Oh, was he livid!

odstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish I’ve purchase an inverter but I did purchase 3 years ago a Predator 8750 generator. For the sole purpose to power the house (minus the Central Air) during a power outage. Well let me tell you, best investment hands down. This past holiday weekend here in North Hollywood we experienced 3 blackouts due to extreme heat. Power outage lasting an average of 8hrs plus with the longest running 12 hours. The Harbor Freight 8750 ran like a champ none stop for the 12 hour outage with no issues. Save my food and tank. Predator generators are basically Honda Clones. As a home owner I believe it’s a great investment hands down. I do have mine hooked up to a switch assembly.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I’ve purchase an inverter but I did purchase 3 years ago a Predator 8750 generator. For the sole purpose to power the house (minus the Central Air) during a power outage. Well let me tell you, best investment hands down. This past holiday weekend here in North Hollywood we experienced 3 blackouts due to extreme heat. Power outage lasting an average of 8hrs plus with the longest running 12 hours. The Harbor Freight 8750 ran like a champ none stop for the 12 hour outage with no issues. Save my food and tank. Predator generators are basically Honda Clones. As a home owner I believe it’s a great investment hands down. I do have mine hooked up to a switch assembly.
Did you have any issues with the predator 8750 running electronic devices? My generac 8k was so dirty it wouldn't run any sensitive devices.

odstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you have any issues with the predator 8750 running electronic devices? My generac 8k was so dirty it wouldn't run any sensitive devices.
Everything on my tank ran fine with non issues. My equipment on my tank consist of the following
2-orphek compacts
2-MP40QD
1-MP10QD
Apex controller, Trident and 2-DOS
Tunze ATO
Arctica 1/4HP Chiller
Ecotech return pump
Reef Octo skimmer
200w Eheim
AquaUV 52watt

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been talking with my wife about getting a generator. She wasn't interested until the power went of for 5 hours recently. Granger has some of these
I'm not certain this the the correct size for my house, but I'll get some help from a contractor friend on the install. Electrical cords are a major source of trip and fire hazards that I don't want to deal with if the lights go out.
I hope to get one before the next world war launches. Can't be to safe.
Do you have an natural gas hookup or will you run propane? Do you know the BTU rating of that unit? Home Depot and Lowes sells them as well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an natural gas hookup or will you run propane? Do you know the BTU rating of that unit? Home Depot and Lowes sells them as well.
We have natural gas for the home but I think I will consider back up propane (bottles) for extra safety. I don't know if this is the correct unit for my house, but whatever it takes to run a unit and keep the e flowing I need to figure out the best option for efficiency and to keep the A/C on else I would not be able to enjoy the reef with the misses complaining about the weather inside.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ This might be hard to know, Are you on a low pressure system or is it medium pressure of high pressure? A picture of your meter might help? I am not sure where is ADX Florence?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ This might be hard to know, Are you on a low pressure system or is it medium pressure of high pressure? A picture of your meter might help? I am not sure where is ADX Florence?

Im living in Oceanside, CA.
Google ADX for where my mom said I would end up! :)

We are one city gas, I am guessing from your post that we may need more pressure than can pass through our American meter Company equipment?
AC-250 MAOP 5 PSI
250 CFH @ 1/2"

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK since you are in Oceanside Ca, you are almost certainly on a medium pressure district, so you have 8" of Water Column going to the house, so most meters are 250 Cubic Feet and Hour.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have natural gas for the home but I think I will consider back up propane (bottles) for extra safety. I don't know if this is the correct unit for my house, but whatever it takes to run a unit and keep the e flowing I need to figure out the best option for efficiency and to keep the A/C on else I would not be able to enjoy the reef with the misses complaining about the weather inside.
My 11k generac unit runs everything. I wanted a bigger 20k one. I called gas company and they said I would have to change meter out to a bigger one to run it.

Samantha Nichols

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Go Power and install for my power transfer switch for controlling my RV’s Shore, Generator, and future Solar Power in conjunction with installing an external power In-Let port. After taking my measurements and deciding where all the components would go, I got started. A few of my main concerns was where to keep the transfer switch internally save and clean and how to get the current main power cord to travel from the Surge Protector (which I installed a few years ago) out to the side of the RV. I didn’t want to have it exposed to the road elements of road dirt, water, and especially road debris that could be snagging it apart. All of it looks great, works well, and gives my RV a nice updated newer look.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back