Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

jbarn1225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the quick connect from BRS you have there? I was thinking of doing something similar to get saltwater around the fish room.
Yes that is the Quick Connect fitting from BRS. Everything for the mixing station is from BRS except for the tanks.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I understand correctly that you run a power head inside the SW tank in addition to the external recirculating / mixing pump? If so, what is the reason for the internal power head in addition to the external pump? Thanks

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I understand correctly that you run a power head inside the SW tank in addition to the external recirculating / mixing pump? If so, what is the reason for the internal power head in addition to the external pump? Thanks

Not sure to whom this is directed, but I do have a power head in the SW tank, but it only runs while I'm actually mixing salt. It's probably not needed given the main pump I'm using, but my thought is it will kick up an salt that settles to the bottom while mixing. After it's mixed, it doesn't get turned on.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering about salt settling since the outlet is a bit above the bottom. Makes sense. Thx

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished my mixing station, however I would like to build some type of stand for it eventually.
78beff7efd288c74d6c0cba604514131.jpg
81c7790922e037ad1ae19835d3e8ce82.jpg
I just love the labels. How was this done?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an old Koralia near the bottom of my Brute to make sure the salt that settles there is quickly stirred up. The external pump helps mix it all even more.

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to purchase a pump for my mixing station. Im looking at the Pan World 200ps or 250ps because i need to pump it the stairs and about a 30-40 foot flat run. I know i can always add a ball valve to the mixing station to decrease the pressure but can you over mix the salt or mix it with too much force?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have anything to worry about while mixing. Since writing this article, my pump died and I'm now using a Reeflo Dart I had.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you have to dial it back?

Nope...it just doesn't take as long to mix...lol. But in all seriousness, I use Red Sea blue bucket salt so it actually mixes pretty quickly anyway.

Just remember one thing though when it comes to pumping water to the tank...even with a strong pump, you will still be limited by the hose you use to get water to the tank. I use an RV hose (essentially a garden hose) and water flow out of the hose isn't much greater than my old pump.

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my basic plan. Mixing station and QT setup. Going to insulate the shed and add temp control. It'll also house my spare equipment, maintenance supplies, etc. The smaller door on the left will house controller equipment down the road for when I upgrade and want to do auto water changes and the like. Any thoughts? Advice?

Water Shed 1.JPG

Water Shed 2.JPG

Water Shed 3.JPG

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness you described what you're doing...based on your first post, I thought it was a time-out room for your son...lol.

Looks great. I would recommend (aka you'll need) adding a valve near the top of the saltwater container (before it goes in to the actual container). I put a red circle where I'm talking about. This way, when you want to pump water to the tank (or wherever) out of the horizontal valve, you can shut the valve leading to the tank. Otherwise, every time you turn the pump on, it will be putting water (fresh or recirculating salt) in your salt container. It will also fight pressure trying to go to the tank and through your delivery hose. Hopefully that makes sense.

Added Valve.jpg

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness you described what you're doing...based on your first post, I thought it was a time-out room for your son...lol.

Looks great. I would recommend adding a valve near the top of the saltwater container (before it goes in to the actual container). I put a red circle where I'm talking about. This way, when you want to pump water to the tank (or wherever) out of the horizontal valve, you can shut the valve leading to the tank. Otherwise, you'll fight pressure trying to go to the tank and through your delivery hose. Hopefully that makes sense.

Added Valve.jpg
Actually a lot of sense. I had been meaning to add that valve to the design, but keep forgetting. Thanks

Oh, and the little man is my inspector. He's going to be disappointed when he realizes that I'm not building a playhouse.

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it makes a difference in plumbing your pump. I plan to use a pan world pump for my station and was wondering if there is a difference if I connect a union directly to both in and out of the pump or use an adapter and put the union a little bit further away from the pump. I see most people are using female threaded adptor to pvc pipe and somewhere down from that having a union. Was just wondering if I can connect a threaded union to the pump and then have the other side be a slip to connect the rest of my plumbing?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it makes a difference in plumbing your pump. I plan to use a pan world pump for my station and was wondering if there is a difference if I connect a union directly to both in and out of the pump or use an adapter and put the union a little bit further away from the pump. I see most people are using female threaded adptor to pvc pipe and somewhere down from that having a union. Was just wondering if I can connect a threaded union to the pump and then have the other side be a slip to connect the rest of my plumbing?

I personally don't see any issues with the threaded union on the pump.

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a little layout. The 90elbows will be 3 ways with cheaper valves to gravity drain from each tank. Thoughts?
5ce369a779690f929bb012a706b053e7.jpg
5aa27b1d4a8895cdc9ffa8e11efdfa2d.jpg

Oh, and the pump has 1" fittings, but the tanks have 3/4" bulkheads. I've got plenty of plumbing to go either way. Should I plumb in 1" or 3/4"?

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back