OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How and how often does everyone clean their containers?

Mine has been up for nearly 4 years and I've cleaned them once! In all honesty though, it's because I used to have the pump come on every day for a few minutes to mix the salt container. I found out if using RS Coral Pro Salt, that's a bad idea! So I cleaned it, stopped "stirring the pot so to speak", and the salt container has stayed very clean. I also switched to RS Blue Bucket so that may have something to do with it as well.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my old system using 2 55 gal drums and a little Sicce pump. I was worried about it over flowing, so I added overflow lines just in case. They are really unnecessary. This pic is one I took to sell it, so it’s not all hooked up.

a5aa97657df46ecf58e73ed1eda09721.jpg

Here’s my new system with 2 105 gal tanks to support my new tank. Took lessons learned from the first go around to improve/simplify it a bit. Since I took this pic, I have added a uniseal and PVC plug where I put the heater cord though in the saltwater tank.

895730f1417ee0914dcb51c2a5179423.jpg

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be dumb question but trying to decide how big of containers to buy for 90 cube and about 120 gallons total. 32 gallon brutes or 44 gallon? maybe even 2 Norwesco 35 gallon drums. I suppose bigger is better should I upgrade down the line. I am using same shelving (48" wide version) as @pelphrey and @jazzmik So I guess I better use some plywood support as well.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump are you using for the station and would you change it? I'm currently deciding between 75 or 105g Norwesco containers and I have a 100px stashed to use on the mixing station. Also, how much room above the lid do you need for adding in salt? I've only got about 86" of clearance below a waste pvc line that sits over where I want to put my mixing station so it's tough to choose between the 75 and 105 since the 105 will be cutting the clearance so close.

This is my old system using 2 55 gal drums and a little Sicce pump. I was worried about it over flowing, so I added overflow lines just in case. They are really unnecessary. This pic is one I took to sell it, so it’s not all hooked up.

Here’s my new system with 2 105 gal tanks to support my new tank. Took lessons learned from the first go around to improve/simplify it a bit. Since I took this pic, I have added a uniseal and PVC plug where I put the heater cord though in the saltwater tank.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be dumb question but trying to decide how big of containers to buy for 90 cube and about 120 gallons total. 32 gallon brutes or 44 gallon? maybe even 2 Norwesco 35 gallon drums. I suppose bigger is better should I upgrade down the line. I am using same shelving (48" wide version) as @pelphrey and @jazzmik So I guess I better use some plywood support as well.

Not a dumb question at all. You could use either of the Brutes without issue. I actually started with the 32 gallon Brutes. I personally prefer the white/clear containers, like the Norwesco units you described. Yes they are more expensive (especially if you have to pay shipping) but I can see the water levels easily without a make shift spy glass. And yes, I would recommend using plywood supports as well.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a dumb question at all. You could use either of the Brutes without issue. I actually started with the 32 gallon Brutes. I personally prefer the white/clear containers, like the Norwesco units you described. Yes they are more expensive (especially if you have to pay shipping) but I can see the water levels easily without a make shift spy glass. And yes, I would recommend using plywood supports as well.
Thank you. Yeah I prefer the Norwesco but costs and will be able to open up the Brutes if necessary. I am also curious on the measurements of the Norwesco container feet to sit within the 2x4 shelving and spacing I have.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seriously tempted to swap out my 32g Brute salt mixing container for a cone bottom 'inductor' tank. They have nice big lids on the top for easy access to add salt and clean the tank occasionally. Nice smooth walls for mixing and ease of cleaning. Plus the drain at the bottom of the cone makes it easy to plumb and fully drain. No more last inch of saltwater in the bottom of the Brute!
Only problem is I'd have to rethink my whole rack and spend more money for what amounts to a 'nice to have'. But it sure would be nice to have.

upload_2018-1-12_9-28-32.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cool! Can you show us the chord hole? :)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has probably been asked before but does anyone know the best place to source these containers? I am looking for 40-50g, I have looked at a few places but the shipping cost always kills it. They can't be very heavy.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has probably been asked before but does anyone know the best place to source these containers? I am looking for 40-50g, I have looked at a few places but the shipping cost always kills it. They can't be very heavy.

My advice is to go to the manufactures page and then do a distributor lookup. I'm looking at Norwesco tanks and found a distributor 30 minutes away from me. Their tanks are cheaper than I've found online, even after tax, and there's no shipping fee.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump are you using for the station and would you change it? I'm currently deciding between 75 or 105g Norwesco containers and I have a 100px stashed to use on the mixing station. Also, how much room above the lid do you need for adding in salt? I've only got about 86" of clearance below a waste pvc line that sits over where I want to put my mixing station so it's tough to choose between the 75 and 105 since the 105 will be cutting the clearance so close.

I'm using a 150PS right now. I would say it's overkill. It moves probably 15 gal/min through a 1" hose. I would say the 100PX would be perfect.

As for height, there's plenty of room above. The stand raises everything about 15", I can't remember the exact dimensions. I do need a step stool to get to the top to pour salt in, but I have plenty of clearance in my fish room. The ceiling in there might be 9'6" though. I'll check when I get home.

The 105 is 62" tall. It would definitely work without a stand, but it's going to start getting tight if you raise the tanks off the floor with only 86" of clearance.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a 150PS right now. I would say it's overkill. It moves probably 15 gal/min through a 1" hose. I would say the 100PX would be perfect.

As for height, there's plenty of room above. The stand raises everything about 15", I can't remember the exact dimensions. I do need a step stool to get to the top to pour salt in, but I have plenty of clearance in my fish room. The ceiling in there might be 9'6" though. I'll check when I get home.

The 105 is 62" tall. It would definitely work without a stand, but it's going to start getting tight if you raise the tanks off the floor with only 86" of clearance.

Thanks for the detailed response, looks like I'm going to go with a pair of either 65 or 75. The 75 is $1 cheaper but will take 4-6 weeks but I could get the 65's next week. Is an extra 10 gallons worth it???

I've got about 400g total system volume between the 3 tanks so I'd defintely prefer the 105's but I don't think I could make them work.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much finished with mine. Do you guys put the line inside the tank of the saltwater mixing side (right side of my setup) almost all the way to the bottom? Halfway?

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response, looks like I'm going to go with a pair of either 65 or 75. The 75 is $1 cheaper but will take 4-6 weeks but I could get the 65's next week. Is an extra 10 gallons worth it???

I've got about 400g total system volume between the 3 tanks so I'd defintely prefer the 105's but I don't think I could make them work.

I would say that as long as you have enough volume to cover 1 water change for all three tanks at once, then that should be enough in all reality. So assuming 10% water changes, 40 gals, you'll have some extra in there (you never quite get it all out of the tank too). In emergencies, even with the 65 gal tanks you could have 130 gals of water on hand at any given time, which would probably be enough to get by on. For me having the 100 gal tanks, is more peace of mind than pure necessity. Even for me, in an emergency I'll probably be filling brutes up at my LFS and hauling them back to the house.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back