OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have my mixing station all set up and my RODI filling up the RODI storage container! Last thing I need to do is purchase connections and hose to run it into the DT. I know an RV hose is recommended, but I cannot find hose that does not already have brass fittings on it. Is it OK to use the brass fittings or do you just cut off the fittings? What are some options for connecting the hose to the ball valve, and what do you put on the other end of the hose if anything?

Plenty of options, but I just cut off the ends of the hose and replaced with plastic fittings. If you use a threaded ball valve, you can get a pvs thread to hose bib converter and just connect the hose directly. On the other end, I fashioned another ball valve connected to some PVC pipe to get water in to tank and/or ATO reservoir.

I've attached a couple pictures to help explain. But as I said, this is just how I did it and there are plenty of ways to skin this cat.

20180520_192222.jpg

20180520_192214.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have my mixing station all set up and my RODI filling up the RODI storage container! Last thing I need to do is purchase connections and hose to run it into the DT. I know an RV hose is recommended, but I cannot find hose that does not already have brass fittings on it. Is it OK to use the brass fittings or do you just cut off the fittings? What are some options for connecting the hose to the ball valve, and what do you put on the other end of the hose if anything?

I would not use any brass but thats my opinion.. My set up is a little different , I saved up for the GHL MaxiSA doser and the ProfiLux4 controller that I use to do my AWC's for me.
It's connected to my saltwater mixing station. More info to come on my build thread.

Mixing station.jpg

ProfiLux4&Maxi.JPG

columbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use any brass but thats my opinion.. My set up is a little different , I saved up for the GHL MaxiSA doser and the ProfiLux4 controller that I use to do my AWC's for me.
It's connected to my saltwater mixing station. More info to come on my build thread.

Mixing station.jpg

ProfiLux4&Maxi.JPG
Just out of curiosity- why the unions next to the union valves at the bottom?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity- why the unions next to the union valves at the bottom?

No reason, just to give it some more support and for cleaning purposes! Tell you one thing, the new Reef Octo pumps are awesome and you can't even tell that they are even running..

Here is a short video I did on it / please excuse the quality, it was done on my iPhone..

Last edited:

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mixing station.jpg

ProfiLux4&Maxi.JPG

Following for more info, specifically interested in what all floats/sensors you used and where you mounted them.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! That's exactly what I needed to see! My ball valve is a slip, but I should be able to find a slip spigot fitting for 3/4" hose. Awesome! Thanks Guys! I'll try posting some pics of my station once I get the hose connected! I cannot thank you enough dbl for this thread. It has been SO helpful for building my mixing station!

Timothy Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone do with water that stays trapped in the hose to the DT after filling? Needing a 50ft hose minimum, that's a lot of hose to have water lingering.

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave it in there and seal both ends....never had a problem with it and I have about 100' run to the tank from my room where I mix.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone do with water that stays trapped in the hose to the DT after filling? Needing a 50ft hose minimum, that's a lot of hose to have water lingering.

I happen to use the same hose for both salt during water changes and fresh water to refill the ATO reservoir. I don't do a lot of water changes, so it's mainly fresh in the hose and I just leave it. When I do use it for salt, I just run the pump for a minute or so until it's pumping salt water. The next time I use it for fresh, I do the same thing - run it and clear out the salt and the cycle repeats. I've never had an issue with this process.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I use the same hose for new salt water and for refilling the ATO with RO water, I just connect it to the RO container and let it flush the last bit of salt water into the sump. Then it's full of RO water and I just leave it like that.

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the hose into a drain for a few minutes to clear if your worried about it. I don't worry about it.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared mine in another thread. Just water tested it last week, it didn't leak :)

The pump is a pan world 200ps. It's a beast of a pump, quite loud though. Thankfully it will be in my washroom.

I will also be using a spectra pure performance plus 100 gpd ultra high efficiency rodi
IMG_20180710_144440.jpg
IMG_20180710_152131.jpg

IMG_20180723_152228.jpg

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to move my water station and clean things up a bit. The one issue i continue to struggle with is keeping the water cool in this Texas garage. I usually mix up about 25 gallons and have had it break 100 degrees before. I transferred the water to 5g buckets and cooled them inside while placing RO ice blocks in the remaining water. This process is not sustainable. What are yall doing to counter that?

new spot.jpg

old spot.jpg

staging for plumbing rework.jpg

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I am using this for the blueprint for my water station. Thank you. Question. How are you guys cleaning out your Salt container? Are you cleaning it? How often? Mine always gets a yellowy gross looking tinge to it that freaks me out but my new mixing containers are 135 gallons and I am not sure if and how I am going to clean them.

Cheers

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys cleaning out your Salt container? Are you cleaning it? How often? Mine always gets a yellowy gross looking tinge to it that freaks me out but my new mixing containers are 135 gallons and I am not sure if and how I am going to clean them.
I clean the salt mixing Brute whenever it gets too ugly for my sensibilities. So it's a pretty subjective thing. One of the reasons I wanted a Brute instead of a Roto-Mold style tank - easier to clean.
135 gallons certainly rules out using vinegar! Probably not easy to move it around either. Maybe a mop?

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the salt mixing Brute whenever it gets too ugly for my sensibilities. So it's a pretty subjective thing. One of the reasons I wanted a Brute instead of a Roto-Mold style tank - easier to clean.
135 gallons certainly rules out using vinegar! Probably not easy to move it around either. Maybe a mop?

That may well be my only option! I am wondering if I just have a small pump circulating water in there at all times if it will keep it from getting nasty. I will have to look into this more. Thanks for your thoughts :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back