Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally done, glued, tested, and now filling. Serious sense of accomplishment, especially with my ATO and AWC up and running.

e76ffb0874d8689f2a3f757d469fdabe.jpg

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Are those brass spigots okay to use on the salt side???
Probably not good for either side. I didn’t have spigots on my shopping list because I had a bunch of those laying around and it didn’t dawn on me until I was putting it together. I’ll have to run by the store on the way home to get a couple more plastic valves to replace them with.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not good for either side. I didn’t have spigots on my shopping list because I had a bunch of those laying around and it didn’t dawn on me until I was putting it together. I’ll have to run by the store on the way home to get a couple more plastic valves to replace them with.

Hey if we didn’t Macgyver these things and make multiple runs to “S”Lowe’s it Home Depot we wouldn’t be having fun!! Nice job!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello guys/gals.

I have an option to run some tubing inside the walls/ceiling betwen my utility closet and where the tank is.

For automatic water changes, what size tubing did you run? I believe most people use standard 1/4 RO tubing but was wondering as I worry about clogging such small diameter tubing on the used water side.

What did you do?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys/gals.

I have an option to run some tubing inside the walls/ceiling betwen my utility closet and where the tank is.

For automatic water changes, what size tubing did you run? I believe most people use standard 1/4 RO tubing but was wondering as I worry about clogging such small diameter tubing on the used water side.

What did you do?
The AWC I'm installing has a 1/4" output, so that pretty well limits the options. I'm installing a drain in the wall behind my sump that will run down into the utility sink or basement sump pit below. This will serve as an emergency overflow and I'll pipe my AWC discharge into it as well using a short run of 1/4" tubing.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys/gals.

What did you do?

I am using the standard 1/4. I ran it in the crawl space but fed it through an insulated pipe to keep from freezing or some nasty “land” animal gnawing on it.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @tdlawdo .....your blue line coming form your RO/DI unit to your RO/DI Tank, is that a special fitting you purchased?

That is the dry side an automatic shutoff valve (which has saved me many times). Is the part you mean? I had to jury rig with some soft rubber washers to get it to fit the curved surface

?
c937bd44360de52d34f72b8fa2a6e199.jpg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am using the standard 1/4. I ran it in the crawl space but fed it through an insulated pipe to keep from freezing or some nasty “land” animal gnawing on it.

That's for both the newly mixed water supplied to the tank and old water removed?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's for both the newly mixed water supplied to the tank and old water removed?

Yes I have a black waste line that comes back to the same room and empties into my waste water out from the condensate line for the HVAC. And a white line going back to the sump. I’ll get a pic when I get home at the end of the week. Both lines enter through same hole in floor and insulated pipe. I use the DOS. For 3 g per day total change. So not a large volume needed at once. No heating of water necessary. The tank is 75g so it lasts over three weeks and so I generally make more every three weeks but have a four day window.

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the dry side an automatic shutoff valve (which has saved me many times). Is the part you mean? I had to jury rig with some soft rubber washers to get it to fit the curved surface

?
c937bd44360de52d34f72b8fa2a6e199.jpg

Yep.....That's what I meant! I was wondering how you got it to sit right. Guess I'll need to run to Lowe's:) Hoping to finish dry-fitting everything Friday night, then glue it up Saturday morning. How long did everyone wait after they glued everything up until you tested with water???

Thanks @tdlawdo

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight. I used the purple tie part pvc stuff so that only needs a few hours up to higher psi then we get. But I used some silicon caulk on that connector for the water inline and that needed 12 hours it said. In an ice way I did run a load without salt and wasted it. Probably overkill ...but isn’t that what we all do in this hobby [emoji849]

bdmach1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight. I used the purple tie part pvc stuff so that only needs a few hours up to higher psi then we get. But I used some silicon caulk on that connector for the water inline and that needed 12 hours it said. In an ice way I did run a load without salt and wasted it. Probably overkill ...but isn’t that what we all do in this hobby [emoji849]

Okay....cool. I'll figure placement on that shutoff kit and get it sealed up 1st.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back