Let’s see your Engineer Goby’s

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0DC70570-F084-4DD6-B951-F2D458FE989A.gif

Size matters when it comes to Engineer Goby’s. They grow long like an eel to a purported size of 12”!

I’ve had mine for about 6mos and got a rare glimpse of him today. Looks like he’s up to about 6”! Very impressed to see his growth from the little 1” baby I purchased him as.

634FC9C9-CBD1-415D-813A-D0C68C518679.jpeg 735B013D-7F4D-4337-89D6-AF5019C262AD.jpeg

Lets see the length on your Engineers!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could get pics. Mine is about 5" last I saw them. They only stick their head out of their borrow to spit out sand or to grab food floating by.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pair out of QT and into DT this week. They're about 3.5-4 inches. Just clicked to me reading this thread that some people have shared that they rarely see theirs. Which raises the question of the diet. I assume no one goes out of their way to feed them and they eventually just find food when the tank is fed.

Mine is now in a 180G and they're already starting to make tunnels which is interesting, but now I'm wondering what kind of damage could come. While my rocks are fairly squished into the sand as they're fairly large pieces, I just can't see how something could tip over that could crack a tank. Scratch maybe, but crack would be devastating.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my two Picky and Scaredy. They are both at 10" and are good fun though scaredy rarely leaves his hole thus the name:
IMG_5425.jpeg
IMG_4919.jpeg

They grow way bigger than 12". These ones at the Shedd in Chicago are 18" to 24":
IMG_4310.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pair out of QT and into DT this week. They're about 3.5-4 inches. Just clicked to me reading this thread that some people have shared that they rarely see theirs. Which raises the question of the diet. I assume no one goes out of their way to feed them and they eventually just find food when the tank is fed.

Mine is now in a 180G and they're already starting to make tunnels which is interesting, but now I'm wondering what kind of damage could come. While my rocks are fairly squished into the sand as they're fairly large pieces, I just can't see how something could tip over that could crack a tank. Scratch maybe, but crack would be devastating.
They'll wait for food to pass them then rush out for it. I also target feed mine with bits of salmon and squid.

They won't purposefully cause a cave in and haven't caused any tumbles for me. They're about par with a diamond goby in my opinion. They move a lot of sand but not big rocks and really once they're settled they stop excavating.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like I said, mine never comes out unless I am doing maintenance and moving rocks around. Then she comes out. I do get bottom sinking pellets that I target at her entrances, and she will dart her head out and grab them, and occasionally toss a small clam (just the meat) or small scallop down to it.
They'll wait for food to pass them then rush out for it. I also target feed mine with bits of salmon and squid.

They won't purposefully cause a cave in and haven't caused any tumbles for me. They're about par with a diamond goby in my opinion. They move a lot of sand but not big rocks and really once they're settled they stop excavating.
Yeah they do a great job getting all the sand out from under the rocks but done in a way they don't fall. Once she gets her burrow setup she does not do any more excavation except to push out sand that drifts in or when I move things around and she has to rebuild her borrow.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair has been nonstop excavating, but likely because they’re new as folks mentioned here. They’re always out and about all over the tank which is fun to watch, but I admit a part of me wishes they would dig less. Lol. Hopefully that’ll settle down.

They are digging near a paired Randal goby and shrimp cave which makes me wonder if they’re eat the shrimp. Hopefully the goby will be able to defend its cave and shrimp friend.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they get older they will stop coming out as much. Its what they do in nature. Only the juvenal's come out of the burrows to look for food. The adults make kills of opportunity but mostly get food from the juvenal's who will bring food back to spit into the adults' burrows. Kind of a reverse on the momma and baby birds feeding.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back