Let’s start a thread! Odd reef relationships in your tank

RudyvandenBerg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby chromis that got adopted by my cleaner wrasse and he now believes himself to be a cleaner..... He and the wrasse regularly takes turns "cleaning" each other and the chromis has even tried his luck on my maroon clown and sifting goby...

I got the chromis when he was but a half inch baba and I guess with the wrasse being as inquisitive as it is and immediately approaching the chromis when he was introduced maybe some form of parental/big brother relationship imprinted. These two are never further than about 15cm apart even at dinner time. Kinda like they are schooling.

At one stage I thought I would lose the chromis because he went bananas at night when the wrasse would go to sleep in his little slime sleeping bag and would dart around the tank like it was possessed non stop at a million miles an hour. It would not rest in anything in my reef so it was suggested to me to add a sea fan as chromis apparently likes taking refuge in them? I had to introduce a hideous plastic sea fan which he immediately took to as his refuge and he even goes completely white at night to camouflage himself to sleep.

That coupled with my urchin that wont let go of a little Captain America shield he carries on his back I think these three guys qualify as odd relationships I guess. Odd at the very least.

Below is GT (wrasse), Rasmus (chromis) and the hideous white sea fan...

IMG_21281009_132845.jpg

20200403_162916[2220].jpg

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby chromis that got adopted by my cleaner wrasse and he now believes himself to be a cleaner..... He and the wrasse regularly takes turns "cleaning" each other and the chromis has even tried his luck on my maroon clown and sifting goby...

I got the chromis when he was but a half inch baba and I guess with the wrasse being as inquisitive as it is and immediately approaching the chromis when he was introduced maybe some form of parental/big brother relationship imprinted. These two are never further than about 15cm apart even at dinner time. Kinda like they are schooling.

At one stage I thought I would lose the chromis because he went bananas at night when the wrasse would go to sleep in his little slime sleeping bag and would dart around the tank like it was possessed non stop at a million miles an hour. It would not rest in anything in my reef so it was suggested to me to add a sea fan as chromis apparently likes taking refuge in them? I had to introduce a hideous plastic sea fan which he immediately took to as his refuge and he even goes completely white at night to camouflage himself to sleep.

That coupled with my urchin that wont let go of a little Captain America shield he carries on his back I think these three guys qualify as odd relationships I guess. Odd at the very least.

IMG_21281009_132845.jpg

That is so funny he carries around a little shield.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_21281009_132845.jpg

This is awesome HAHAHA. I love these relationships!

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unusual pair is this scarlet and pom pom crab. On most nights I can find them both together and the hermit will go out of its way to follow the pom-pom around. It almost seams like the pom-pom watches over the hermit as it scavanges. I don't know what either gets out of it but they both seam to like each others company. I have several Scarlets and the other actively avoid the pompom.
20200123_000609.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more!?
This one was temporary but hilarious, before the yasha found the pistol it followed the pom pom around for 2 days. Much to the dismay of the crab which clearly felt harrassed by it all. After punching the yasha with his nems for a while with no results he kinda just gave in and they hung out in this make shift burrow.
20200505_171321_HDR.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back