Let’s take a look at some EXIF data: A semi-aggressive and unprovoked dive into photographic dupery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mael

Bridgeburner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the Pmonster were taken by Michael vargas, sold by a local shop here called BSA and Dat is who bought it for that price. I wish I knew BSA had it I would have driven the 2hours just to see it, The colors on it may be tweaked a bit but I dont think it is that much honestly. I mean look how bright some of the colors can be on other jawbreakers and it isnt a huge stretch to believe.....like the rainbow polyps on fairy food =P

star fawkes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever edit a photo so hard that the frag plug turns yellow?

the photoshop dudes 1.jpg
the photoshop dudes 2.jpg
the photoshop dudes 3.jpg
the photoshop dudes 4.jpg

the photoshop dudes 5.jpg

Is it fair to market stuff like this as wysiwyg?

Last edited:

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was a surprise to me as well with one of the popular vendors here this year. Got 4 large colonies and they were SUPER different. The owner was trying to buy my silence with more corals lol and telling me that it was shot under different light lol .... I still can't understand how no one ever posted anything about this vendor. Maybe I was just unlucky or maybe he bought the silence of all of them. :D

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, it was a surprise to me as well with one of the popular vendors here this year. Got 4 large colonies and they were SUPER different. The owner was trying to buy my silence with more corals lol and telling me that it was shot under different light lol .... I still can't understand how no one ever posted anything about this vendor. Maybe I was just unlucky or maybe he bought the silence of all of them. :D

That's pretty wild man. sorry to hear it really

volivier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you reverse saturation etc to see what it looked like at first.
Here is some of what a photo said.....
White Balance Custom
Color Temperature 25,000
Tint +12
Saturation +60
Sharpness 25
Luminance Smoothing 0
Color Noise Reduction 25
Vibrance +60
Hue Adjustment Red +11
Hue Adjustment Orange +2

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
can you reverse saturation etc to see what it looked like at first.
Here is some of what a photo said.....
White Balance Custom
Color Temperature 25,000
Tint +12
Saturation +60
Sharpness 25
Luminance Smoothing 0
Color Noise Reduction 25
Vibrance +60
Hue Adjustment Red +11
Hue Adjustment Orange +2

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way. safe to say that at 60 sat and Vib that whatever you are looking at is considerably exaggerated.

Here is what happens if I crank upon the vibrance and saturation on one of my own pics to 60! And the FB'ers go wild!!!!

Atl Rasp Lemonade

My actual setting below.

Screenshot%202017-09-23%2020.48.09_zps1tlxtvky.png

60/60 setting below can you say F-I-R-E!!!

Screenshot%202017-09-23%2020.48.28_zpsrs4mrq4m.png

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share a name @Berlibee to help others avoid the trap?????

volivier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way. safe to say that at 60 sat and Vib that whatever you are looking at is considerably exaggerated.

Here is what happens if I crank upon the vibrance and saturation on one of my own pics to 60! And the FB'ers go wild!!!!

Atl Rasp Lemonade

My actual setting below.

Screenshot%202017-09-23%2020.48.09_zps1tlxtvky.png

60/60 setting below can you say F-I-R-E!!!

Screenshot%202017-09-23%2020.48.28_zpsrs4mrq4m.png

WOW....thanks for the pic's, it helps imagine the difference by seeing it before and after.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you've handled enough corals (especially Acros) you can start to tell what photos are fake and which are edited. Bottom line is that if you haven't seen if before in person don't dive in bank account first to buy it. There are plenty of coral around and most of the hype and fake photos are from people trying to get rich quick off of unsuspecting buyers. (beware flippers and quick resellers)

Over time corals worth the price tag rise to the top and there are good vendors out there (^^^) that can take their own photos and represent what they are selling without resulting to shady tactics and false hype.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back