Let’s take a look at some EXIF data: A semi-aggressive and unprovoked dive into photographic dupery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about this.... You go to a show you see all the corals under only one spectrum, blue only. If a vendor at the show turns any white on even a hint some other vendor whines. I personally replicate exactly what you would see at a show and nothing more. I do not fool with post. Just put the correct camera in my hands that the wb will shoot true to the eye.

The only person I know that still sells coral under a mh light at a show is Tyree. Still rocking the mh without any led supplement.

The point is manipulating colors to represent something that's not real.. That's all he's saying. Some are looking too deep into this... But let's be real. There's vendors out there that's doing this. Adam was right to not call them by name because he himself is a vendor. It would make him look like Donny Trump hurling insults at lyin Ted... (While what he's saying may be true, it would make him look like he's doing it only to benefit himself) but let's be honest. There's a difference from touching up colors to get that professional look for a website.. And altering colors to sell something that doesn't exist. In every other form of business it's called fraud but for some reason it's becoming the accepted norm in this hobby. The best way to stop it is by buying from guys that don't do it.. It's not hard to find out which ones. All it takes is some coversations with people in the community. People like Adam from Battlecorals, Gary from Reef Pets etc have a reputation that they've earned.

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to find these purple frag plugs everyone has been using??? And i absolutely love smurf hands!!! You know...when they have to zoom in on that millimeter sized frag, so their hand has to be shown holding the frag, it's amazing that their salt mix dyes their hand blue and purple that quick!!! In all seriousness, if it looks like something you would have to be tripping on acid to see, it probably will not look like that unless you are tripping on acid...it always cracks me up how many minions follow the garage vendors around sticking up for them...if the coral truly looks like that, why are there absolutely zero grow threads on r2r??? Light bulb people. That being said, I am not a "hater" by any means. In fact, I was one of the first to stick up for the Jason fox HW, I'll admit, I had some doubt, but I'm not one to ever knock something until I have seen it in person, and rarely do I ever actually give an opinion. That being said, my friend pulled the trigger and bought it, of course I had to see it the first week he had it, and I was surprised, it looked great under whites and blues. So, sometimes, things are that cool. Rarely, but it happens. Then there are vendors that have stuff that looks way better than the picture, reefpets gender predector is ten times better in person, sorry Gary, you stink at photographing that coral...
image.jpeg

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photoshop debate is silly. All professional photographers edit their photos. When it comes to coral photography it's hard, cameras are not designed to shoot under blue lights. Either orangish filters or wb must be used **they are the exact same thing except wb it's done digitally. Most of the time the colors have to be manually adjusted afterwards using Lightroom, filters aren't perfect.

Here's the big issue. Most people are using lighting that goes beyond 20k. That's when you get the saturated rainbow effect. Do you expect your vendors to swap out t5 bulbs or replace their Reefbrite with 10k every time they take a photo? It doesn't happen. The worst part is these saturated photos (due to lighting) sell like hot cakes. As a lfs owner I rarely post photos beyond 20k but when I do people get all excited. The market is asking for crazy photos. Anyone that has to increase saturation isn't doing it right, your camera and filter do that for you.

Your corals will never look as good as the pictures no matter what lighting. I think posting some side by side shots of 12k vs royal blue would be helpful to unsuspecting potential buyers. I know what the coral will look like under whites but not everyone can. If you want those saturated colors at home turn the blues up and wear orange sunglasses.

And lastly on the topic of acros. They take time to color up. I see all these posts about ugly brown wd's nubs, give them time, tlc and shoot under Royal blue with a filter... It will be the same thing
OP color progression
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458930122.304555.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458930140.547212.jpg

I've included a cellphone shot plus gel filter unedited. Why does it look photoshopped? Lighting+gel filter!!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458930199.934226.jpg
I need one of those filters just to play around with. Phone pictures are so much more fun. is it yellow or orange gel filter. I're read about them many times but don't recall.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need one of those filters just to play around with. Phone pictures are so much more fun. is it yellow or orange gel filter. I're read about them many times but don't recall.

I think these are readily available Gary but I don't think you need them man

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are readily available Gary but I don't think you need them man
Would be just for fun. I have been working with the white balance on my camera, I'm getting closer to whiter pictures, finally!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would be just for fun. I have been working with the white balance on my camera, I'm getting closer to whiter pictures, finally!
hey Gary what program do you use to process your pics, and are you shooting in raw or no?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Gary what program do you use to process your pics, and are you shooting in raw or no?
I use Photoshop CC. I have Lightroom also and Photoshop Elements. Photoshop seems to be the easiest for me but probably just because I've used it for so long. I'm not very tech savvy... Yes, I shoot in RAW.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use Photoshop CC. I have Lightroom also and Photoshop Elements. Photoshop seems to be the easiest for me but probably just because I've used it for so long. I'm not very tech savvy... Yes, I shoot in RAW.

cool I'd say lightroom is like the idiots( no offense to anyone) PS. and what I use myself lol. Was going say in Raw the WB is pretty easy to fix in lightroom especially if you are shooting under radiums. I just throw the slider all the way to the right every time

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool I'd say lightroom is like the idiots( no offense to anyone) PS. and what I use myself lol. Was going say in Raw the WB is pretty easy to fix in lightroom especially if you are shooting under radiums. I just throw the slider all the way to the right every time
I'll have to check that out. PS doesn't really have a slide for white balance only, not that I'm aware of. It's far more difficult. I like a little blue in the photo but not to the point of looking purple.
I need to learn my way around Lightroom. I've tried it a couple times, get frustrated and open up PS.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll have to check that out. PS doesn't really have a slide for white balance only, not that I'm aware of. It's far more difficult. I like a little blue in the photo but not to the point of looking purple.
I need to learn my way around Lightroom. I've tried it a couple times, get frustrated and open up PS.

We should chat a little sometime soon. if you can use PS then you can definitely use LR. That is if you're looking to try something else i guess I don't think your pics look bad anyway, but if you are struggling at all with PS then lightroom will offer some relief That I can say for sure.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should chat a little sometime soon. if you can use PS then you can definitely use LR. That is if you're looking to try something else i guess I don't think your pics look bad anyway, but if you are struggling at all with PS then lightroom will offer some relief That I can say for sure.
I'm up for a chat. Easier and faster processing would be nice!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just felt this old nugget could use a bump. Forums growing pretty fast and I'm sure there's hundreds, if not thousands of new members or lurkers even that could use this one in their pocket!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u think that new Purple monster shroom is legit?

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Adam honesty is the best strategy from anyone you dealing with!!! Definitely Battlecorals is the way to go when you're looking for true fire, awesome Adam!!!! [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back