Let’s talk about other Controllers other then Apex!

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shopping around for a controller and want the general public help on this!

Here’s what I want to do, simply control my tank.

I do want an Apex but the reviews are horrible on it. I actually can’t believe the negative feedback. BRS says it’s a must but the feedback says probes go bad fast, the plug in dies in a year. Why spend $800 when it’s just going to be a waste? Also says wiring can’t touch anything else? How is that even possible in this hobby?
Pros- linking up a Trident one day.

My question! I want to know what other controllers are good and reliable and won’t cause an issue down the line.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghl is your only other real choice.

They all cost too much.. so I keep stalling on the purchase.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reviews are you reading, I have a Apex and have had no issues with it. Whether you go GHL or Apex makes no difference as they are both great controllers, but you have to remember that Apex has far far more owners, thus the higher number of issues. Also, remember that, you rarely hear from people saying that the controller is great, you only hear from people having problems with it. Having a far higher number of Apex units out their vs GHL, you will hear more people complain. Again, though I own a Apex, they are both great controllers and have awesome features that are special to each.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing i have noticed is that labs and other scientific endeavors seem to use ghl. Unsure why. And by science I mean projects that universities and etc do.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reviews are you reading, I have a Apex and have had no issues with it. Whether you go GHL or Apex makes no difference as they are both great controllers, but you have to remember that Apex has far far more owners, thus the higher number of issues. Also, remember that, you rarely hear from people saying that the controller is great, you only hear from people having problems with it. Having a far higher number of Apex units out their vs GHL, you will hear more people complain. Again, though I own a Apex, they are both great controllers and have awesome features that are special to each.

I wouldn't say Apex has far far more owners in general. In North America for sure. But world wide I would bet GHL has an edge on them customer base wise. GHL is the only controller to offer different plug sets on there power bars and they cater to just about every country out there where Neptune has planted roots almost solely in the US...

But I agree, typically the only reviews you see on products overall are negative ones. Happy customers tend to keep more to themselves in general than sharing there success with a product which is a shame as it makes for a rather skewed outlook when it comes to those shopping for something new.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other options are:
older AquaControllers. Cheap now and very reliable.
Reefkeepers. cheap unreliable and horrible support.
WIFI power strips, very basic control only
Home built systems, requires time, electronics and programming skills. Can be simple or complex as you desire.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt say Apex has far far more owners in general. In North America for sure. But world wide I would bet GHL has an edge on them customer base wise. GHL is the only controller to offer different plug sets on there power bars and they cater to just about every country out there where Neptune has planted roots almost solely in the US...
Lol, I meant in the US in general. I actually looked into GHL, but can get around the size of the powerbars for only 6 outlets.

U

User1

View Badges
I’m shopping around for a controller and want the general public help on this!

Here’s what I want to do, simply control my tank.

I do want an Apex but the reviews are horrible on it. I actually can’t believe the negative feedback. BRS says it’s a must but the feedback says probes go bad fast, the plug in dies in a year. Why spend $800 when it’s just going to be a waste? Also says wiring can’t touch anything else? How is that even possible in this hobby?
Pros- linking up a Trident one day.

My question! I want to know what other controllers are good and reliable and won’t cause an issue down the line.

Are you really looking for a controller or just posting anecdotal negative feedback? The apex is good, it is reliable, and won't cause an issue down the road. Assuming you are taking care of it. The same will hold true if you go with GHL or any other manufacture. I know Apex is used in a public aquarium that is doing research on coral spawning. I'd wager that is pretty darn reliable.

If you believe Neptune is unreliable then your left with GHL for shrink wrap solutions over the counter. If you want DIY and are comfortable then you can go with Reef Angel or possibly a Pi based solution.

Side note - your requirement list is sort of vague. It may have been better hand you put something like:

1. Controllable outlets
2. Wave maker integration
3. Ph monitor
4. ORP monitor
5. Salinity monitor
6. Expansion modules
7. Automated testing
8. Power monitor

GHL and Neptune can do most of those if not today then tomorrow. GHL is probably more widely used overseas whereas Neptune stateside. Both work. I've never used GHL but hear good things about it. I use Neptune and have the trident. Happy with both and reliable. I've used Neptune products since around 1999. I've also used a Reef Angel. Great custom libraries second to none but not as refined as GHL/Apex.

Out of the bunch GHL probably gets the prettier award if that matters to you. In any case the TL; DR:

GHL/Neptune packaged. Reef Angel or Pi solutions if you want open source.

Cheers.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I meant in the US in general. I actually looked into GHL, but can get around the size of the powerbars for only 6 outlets.

I believe the size relates to them offering so many different outlets for other countries while using the same shell. Unfortunately other countries use much larger outlets than we do and in Europe where most of there customer base is the 240 is standard. This leaves them filling a big hole for countries like ours that use smaller outlets but atleast they made alternatives available for us right out of the box :)

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On BRS, there’s horrible reviews but you’re right too. You never hear from the happy customers! I actually didn’t think of that when shopping around!
Thanks for the advice!

Now I did look up GHL, holy crap that’s nice but it’ll cost a little more too.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On BRS, there’s horrible reviews but you’re right too. You never hear from the happy customers! I actually didn’t think of that when shopping around!
Thanks for the advice!

Now I did look up GHL, holy crap that’s nice but it’ll cost a little more too.
They are both great controllers. The only thing the Apex has over GHL is the interface. Apex fusion is are more advanced then GHL.

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you really looking for a controller or just posting anecdotal negative feedback? The apex is good, it is reliable, and won't cause an issue down the road. Assuming you are taking care of it. The same will hold true if you go with GHL or any other manufacture. I know Apex is used in a public aquarium that is doing research on coral spawning. I'd wager that is pretty darn reliable.

If you believe Neptune is unreliable then your left with GHL for shrink wrap solutions over the counter. If you want DIY and are comfortable then you can go with Reef Angel or possibly a Pi based solution.

Side note - your requirement list is sort of vague. It may have been better hand you put something like:

1. Controllable outlets
2. Wave maker integration
3. Ph monitor
4. ORP monitor
5. Salinity monitor
6. Expansion modules
7. Automated testing
8. Power monitor

GHL and Neptune can do most of those if not today then tomorrow. GHL is probably more widely used overseas whereas Neptune stateside. Both work. I've never used GHL but hear good things about it. I use Neptune and have the trident. Happy with both and reliable. I've used Neptune products since around 1999. I've also used a Reef Angel. Great custom libraries second to none but not as refined as GHL/Apex.

Out of the bunch GHL probably gets the prettier award if that matters to you. In any case the TL; DR:

GHL/Neptune packaged. Reef Angel or Pi solutions if you want open source.

Cheers.

First off, I’d never post a thread to bash a company? I’m pretty sure most people wouldn’t take the time just to do that, if they do then that’s just stupid.

Here’s what I want, plug and play.
I’d want a full system where I can monitor my levels. Like Ph, Temp, Alk, Mag, Cal.
I run MP40’s and Radion, I’d love to see the power usage too. I’d love to have it to go where anytime i can look at it or have push notifications.
As this sounds just like a Apex with a Trident. I’ve heard nothing negative ever about Trident. But the negative feedback on the Apex can simply been seen on BRS or any other selling site. As #Billdg said, most happy customers don’t post anything at all, which I didn’t take that into account.
GHL does print a prettier picture but looks like it will cost more.

I was asking the community if there was other options other then Apex and wanted to give a reason why, not to bash Neptune.

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also everyone, I do spare landscaping once a week at a few lawns to help out a few elderly people so they don’t get taken advantage of. I just collect all the money and usually once a year I try to upgrade something on my tank.
so with this kind of feedback I’ll probably go with the apex and trident. If the trident is in stock then!
I do thank everyone for their help too!
I’ll probably come back to this thread to ask questions because I’ll be new to an Apex. Everything is done manual! Trying to get away from that!

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask! I read a few reviews that the wiring Can’t touch anything else with the Apex? Can’t anyone clarify that?
Are we talking when it’s submerged it just can’t touch anything or total wire? Like from the outlet to the tank?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask! I read a few reviews that the wiring Can’t touch anything else with the Apex? Can’t anyone clarify that?
Are we talking when it’s submerged it just can’t touch anything or total wire? Like from the outlet to the tank?

I think you are referring to probe isolation. In general with *all* probes, you don't want their cables next to the wires from high power-demand devices. Interference. There is nothing special regarding apex cable management or wiring otherwise; touch everything you want, lol.

My apex units works great... there are thousands of really happy Apex users.

I suggest you ask for user experience in the BRS Facebook group to get accurate feedback instead of looking at the few unhappy reviews that people leave online.

A good portion of the "Reviews" are from people who cant even manage to look at the online instructions/ setup videos to even get it connected :).

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are referring to probe isolation. In general with *all* probes, you don't want their cables next to the wires from high power-demand devices. Interference. There is nothing special regarding apex cable management or wiring otherwise; touch everything you want, lol.

My apex units works great... there are thousands of really happy Apex users.

I suggest you ask for user experience in the BRS Facebook group to get accurate feedback instead of looking at the few unhappy reviews that people leave online.

A good portion of the "Reviews" are from people who cant even manage to look at the online instructions/ setup videos to even get it connected :).
Thanks for the tip!
I will also check FB with BRS. Very true that people are quick to jump the gun rather then catch up on how to use it. That’s exactly why I posted it, to hear what you just stated. Apex is a must now for me!
Thank you for your help too!

Back