let’s tank Acrylic Sump.. are they worth it?

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been thinking about upgrading my sump. The main reason is that I will be adding in more displays and my sump is maxed out. The question I have is, are the newer acrylic sumps worth the money? I have notice that the price of these are pretty intense, they have a ton of options and colors. Feel free to share your pros and cons. Should I go fancy? Or is it just a waste of money that could go toward fish and coral?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fiji Cube 24” Advanced Sump with my last 100g build. I was very pleased with the sump and build quality. I chose the Fiji Cube sump because I could select filter socks or floss as the pre filter, all baffles were height adjustable, plenty of room for my Deltec skimmer and COR20 pump, and mounting options for dosing lines and ATO floats. And as added bonus, it comes with lids for each open section. Very clean and easy to maintain. If I was to setup another drilled tank, I would go one of two ways depending on what I planned for the tank. Either another Fiji Cube sump, or I would go standard glass aquarium with core necessities and bucket fuge like Abe from Coral Euphoria uses.

But depending on tank size and water volume, a Rubbermaid 100g or 150g tub from Tractor Supply or similar can’t be beat for the money.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tub is very tempting. Or just build out a large glass sump. I’m very capable of making a glass tank out with separation and customizing it. So that’s an option. The thought is I will be adding in a 200 gallon tank or a hydroponic tub in the next year or so. I would also like to find someone that could build a barebones acrylic sump if possible. The fiji sumps look really good too. I guess I would have to decide if I would like a roller mat or not. Currently I have a barebones glass sump and it works great.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading how? You won't get better performance if that's what is being asked.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what you're tying to accomplish is the sump up grade. can you speck of your needs more?

does it need to fit under the tank in the stand? or do you have a fish room?

I really thought about drilling my floor to use the basement mixing station as a fish room but ended up with a acrylic sump for the new coming build. as i did not want to do the work or more like spend the money to fish out my little fish room/mixing station/storage area into a proper fish room. but I really thought about the rubber maid stock tanks the 150-300 to get more water volume. that was my maid goal along with ease of maintaining gear. but in the end I went with the new IM 50" sump. have yet to get it not to much info on them as of yet. but was only a few more hundred when ordering the tank and stand so I went that way.

I have be liking the RS glass sumps. i'll see how i like the acrylic one. been a long long time since I had one. like 15 years??

so many options out there for sump all just depends on what you want to do and how fancy to want it. even thought of a few 40br drilled to flow into each other or a DIY plywood sump.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading how? You won't get better performance if that's what is being asked.
Water volume is reasoning. I plan to add another tank this year. But the sump won’t take the volume. Without overflowing

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what you're tying to accomplish is the sump up grade. can you speck of your needs more?

does it need to fit under the tank in the stand? or do you have a fish room?

I really thought about drilling my floor to use the basement mixing station as a fish room but ended up with a acrylic sump for the new coming build. as i did not want to do the work or more like spend the money to fish out my little fish room/mixing station/storage area into a proper fish room. but I really thought about the rubber maid stock tanks the 150-300 to get more water volume. that was my maid goal along with ease of maintaining gear. but in the end I went with the new IM 50" sump. have yet to get it not to much info on them as of yet. but was only a few more hundred when ordering the tank and stand so I went that way.

I have be liking the RS glass sumps. i'll see how i like the acrylic one. been a long long time since I had one. like 15 years??

so many options out there for sump all just depends on what you want to do and how fancy to want it. even thought of a few 40br drilled to flow into each other or a DIY plywood sump.
The upgrade is due to a fish room. I currently have 2 tanks to one sump and plan to add 3 150 to 250 gallon in the next year. But will have to upgrade the sump first. There is a ton of options. Interesting? The IM and RS sump seem like they do the trick for most. I wonder if this are available alone?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The upgrade is due to a fish room. I currently have 2 tanks to one sump and plan to add 3 150 to 250 gallon in the next year. But will have to upgrade the sump first. There is a ton of options. Interesting? The IM and RS sump seem like they do the trick for most. I wonder if this are available alone?
I believe you can get them on there own. at least last time i checked IM website.
not sure it worth the $$ if it going into a fish room a 125 with glass baffles would do the trick and be less if you can find a good deal on on.

someone on here had a few stock tanks flowing into each other was cool and added a ton of water volume.

all that said having a nice fancy sump is cool I guess. needed IMHO NO, but if it helps one do maintenance then sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have been thinking about upgrading my sump. The main reason is that I will be adding in more displays and my sump is maxed out. The question I have is, are the newer acrylic sumps worth the money? I have notice that the price of these are pretty intense, they have a ton of options and colors. Feel free to share your pros and cons. Should I go fancy? Or is it just a waste of money that could go toward fish and coral?
Used ones are cheap(er). It makes my life easier for maintenance and stores much easier opposed to tubs

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone want an affordable sump? Something like this perhaps?
Freshwater Aquarium Sump - 16x8x14 - up to 75 gallon.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone want an affordable sump? Something like this perhaps?
Freshwater Aquarium Sump - 16x8x14 - up to 75 gallon.jpg

those look pretty good. question was looking at the biggest model 76 gal. option of white or black is that baffles or over all sump color?

edit* never mind answered my own question...carry on. :)

Last edited:

paul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out exotic marine if you want to go less expensive they sell baffle kits fo 10-20 40 55 gallon aquariums
but if you want top notch build quality and the best service call jeff at lifereef.com or on line

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those look pretty good. question was looking at the biggest model 76 gal. option of white or black is that baffles or over all sump color?

edit* never mind answered my own question...catty on. :)
These sumps will be updated soon. They all will be white back/baffles and clear front.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These sumps will be updated soon. They all will be white back/baffles and clear front.
Thanks for sharing! I got a stand from you guys last year. That 75 gallon is tempting. And I think I saw that when browsing. Just want to get a read on some other options. But yes indeed. That seems to be a great buy. Are these made to order?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I got a stand from you guys last year. That 75 gallon is tempting. And I think I saw that when browsing. Just want to get a read on some other options. But yes indeed. That seems to be a great buy. Are these made to order?
Thank you. Everything we make is to order.

Back