!!!!LET DETRITUS UNITE US!!! or THE ULTIMATE QUAGMIRE, the uphill battle to eliminate detritus in the reef tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quite some time ago I waged war that I’m convinced I cannot win, nor am I in any way certain that it made any sense to even do so in the first place.

I’m talking about the hyper aggressive mechanical filtration of aquarium detritus. From filter socks to roller mats, automatic roller mats, fleece filters, sponges, aggressively wet skimming and even more outlandish methods I have really gone after this with everything I had.

A while back I noticed that my water had a faint brown tint to it, more so than clean new water, and that I would occasionally have to blow what would seem like an unending amount of dust off the rocks in some of my grow out tanks, so I guess that’s kind of where it all started. But after all the effort, I'm asking myself is it really necessary? Is there any disadvantage to having detritus collect on the bottom of our sumps or exist in the water column enough to keep my water just a faint hue of brown

And now, about a year or two later, having spent countless available man hours, washing and rinsing filter, socks, sucking siphoning, starving my fish even and so on, I am not convinced in any way that my efforts have benefited my system at all. That no amount of mechanical filtration will essentially get me “caught up” to the suspended detritus load in my system, and while I’d hope to see my filter felt get a little fainter and go a little longer between cleanings, week after week. A sure sign that I was in fact, getting a leg up on this battle, it never happened. I have had no indication whatsoever that I ever rounded a corner on eliminating the superfluous detritus floating freely in my water column. I am pretty convinced that my efforts have not achieved anything visible or tangible as far as over all system health or water clarity.

Should I consider the stalemate a loss and just give up on this one? I'm honestly super curious to hear about any efforts you guys have made to eliminate detritus and how it really went. If and how you succeeded and by what metric would you consider success even, and maybe where I failed.

UnitE-2.png

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I’m taking greater interest in detritus. I currently do no mechanical filtration on my sps tank (never have) and my sump is always piling up with it.

I know Jake Adams always insisted the detritus that builds up in a sandbed is a huge amount of biomass draghing down the system, while others say it is inert.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as well in the battle to prevent “detritis debt” as Jake coined it.

it definitely is an area of reef keeping that i as well have invested a good deal of time into.

Removing and minimizing detritis buildup within the rock structure definitely has assisted in minimizing cyano, but the impact on coral health I am not sure of either…

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Used to care, now I don’t. Haven’t seen any difference. Plenty of flow in dt is the key.
Yeah, this is kind of where I’m landing and I forgot to mention flow! I’ve had massive amounts of flow and I always suspected that my skimmer would pull out the suspended particles. I don’t really think it does so much to be honest with you.

thanks for chiming in really appreciate it

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up running mechanical filtration and my tank looked better imo. I still suck up detritus from 2 spots in my tank once a month but that’s a small effort compared to changing out socks and floss every couple of days.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to care, now I don’t. Haven’t seen any difference. Plenty of flow in dt is the key.
Yeah, this is kind of where I’m landing and I forgot to mention flow! I’ve had massive amounts of flow and I always suspected that my skimmer would pull out the suspended particles. I don’t really think it does so much to be honest with you.

thanks for chiming in really appreciate it
Even with lots of flow and mechanical filtration I’m amazed with how much detritus builds up in my rocks when I baste them. Are you guys getting a lot building up in your rocks, when you baste them?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even with lots of flow and mechanical filtration I’m amazed with how much detritus builds up in my rocks when I baste them. Are you guys getting a lot building up in your rocks, when you baste them?
yes! I mean heck yes. one of the things that drove me to this manic state about it even I think. lol I am like, where the heck is it all coming from. what exactly is it?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes! I mean heck yes. one of the things that drove me to this manic state about it even I think. lol I am like, where the heck is it all coming from. what exactly is it?
Agree 100%. Had/have same thoughts here.

I see that @mpaletta and @ReefBum try to get rid of it often from their displays.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loads that comes off my rocks even in high flow areas. It might explain the recent creeping of cyano into my display... I was thinking about trying calcium carbonate (flocculant) to clump the particles together after basting my rocks to see if the detritus would be removed better by my skimmer.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loads that comes off my rocks even in high flow areas. It might explain the recent creeping of cyano into my display... I was thinking about trying calcium carbonate (flocculant) to clump the particles together after basting my rocks to see if the detritus would be removed better by my skimmer.
My routine is baste and then kz coral snow immediately after basting. But not often enough apparently

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your po4 and no3?
I think keeping a good ratio helps keep cyano away. Or maybe I’m not getting cyano in this tank because I finally went bare bottom.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your po4 and no3?
I think keeping a good ratio helps keep cyano away. Or maybe I’m not getting cyano in this tank because I finally went bare bottom.
Not sure to be honest, I haven't tested nutrients in a while. The tank is relatively old at 6 years, so maybe a buildup of detritus may have finally caught up to me. I'll have to test soon just out of curiosity. I run a pretty low maintenance system relying on auto water changes and heavy feeding, with a skimmer and a refugium but limited mechanical filtration.

Vincerama2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years of not paying attention, I finally shone a flashlight into my sump, into the return pump section. It had TWO INCHES of mud settled on the bottom. All that uneaten fishfood and fish poop and other detritus just flowing into the sump and settling in a low flow area (oddly near the return pump). I siphoned it out with a turkey baster. It was remarkable!

I mentioned it in my reef club's forum and the weird consensus was that at that point, any organic stuff will have decayed out of the mud and it was just ... inert mud. I don't know about that, but I guess if you put a piece of crap in water and it's been through a fish's gut, then through a snail's gut, and then through a worm's gut, then through an amphipod's gut ... then sat there being eaten by bacteria ... it's just a piece of inert dirt ???

V

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agree 100%. Had/have same thoughts here.

I see that @mpaletta and @ReefBum try to get rid of it often from their displays.
ha! Excellent I'm actually going to be on Keiths "rapping w reefbum" again this Thursday! (3rd time:) we'll definitely talk about it. I may have to get ahold of Mike then too and see what his take is these days.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After many years of not paying attention, I finally shone a flashlight into my sump, into the return pump section. It had TWO INCHES of mud settled on the bottom. All that uneaten fishfood and fish poop and other detritus just flowing into the sump and settling in a low flow area (oddly near the return pump). I siphoned it out with a turkey baster. It was remarkable!

I mentioned it in my reef club's forum and the weird consensus was that at that point, any organic stuff will have decayed out of the mud and it was just ... inert mud. I don't know about that, but I guess if you put a piece of crap in water and it's been through a fish's gut, then through a snail's gut, and then through a worm's gut, then through an amphipod's gut ... then sat there being eaten by bacteria ... it's just a piece of inert dirt ???

V
Interesting well then let me ask you, was there anything going on with your tank that made you think that it would be a good idea to remove that detritus or did you just kind of do it I'm on a whim, just to kind of do it.

I mean were you looking to correct something or something to that effect. Or better question would be do you think it was affecting your tank any way while it was in there, the 2 inches of sludge I mean

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha! Excellent I'm actually going to be on Keiths "rapping w reefbum" again this Thursday! (3rd time:) we'll definitely talk about it. I may have to get ahold of Mike then too and see what his take is these days.
I think I remember Mike saying he bastes very often. Like maybe even daily. Please find out. I look forward to watching your next ReefBum video and discussing this!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tore down two Nano's that were a couple years old. (I am combining them into a bigger tank)
Tank one: Sand bottom, 1 inch ish, few micro brittles, filter sock, Protein skimmer, lots of detritus in the sand bed.
Tank two: Sm gravel bottom, 1 inch-ish, hundreds of micro brittles, Protein skimmer, canister filter (cleaned every six months), Very little detritus.
The second tank was my best tank, I did nothing to it, I never even cleaned the glass! water changes once a month. I would clean the canister when the flow started to slow. There was plenty of detritus trapped in the foam of the canister filter.
Why was the second tank so much better? IMO, the larger gravel and the live rock took care of the aerobic filtration and the canister filter took care of the anaerobic filtration. plus the micro brittles were able to get in all the nooks because of the larger gravel.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back