!!!!LET DETRITUS UNITE US!!! or THE ULTIMATE QUAGMIRE, the uphill battle to eliminate detritus in the reef tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My motivation for mechanical filtration is getting the detritus out of the water column because I want my DT water to be clean (or look clean) :) . If you have a sump/refugium and it's settling there, isn't that the point? As for the rocks... I have really fine oolite sand, so I can't say how much of what settles on my rocks is detritus or just my substrate.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just listened to Adam and thoughts about detritus removal phosphates and nitrates but no real conclusion as to if detritus is good or bad. He doesn't know his nutrients levels either. Seems he's always used some form of mechanical filtration so no experience on removing his socks etc to see the results.
Am waiting untiI somebody does some long term science based tests not just what they do and think. Seems nobody really wants to go there.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which baster do you use? I’ve used 2 and they both make it way too difficult to do that often. 1-the squeeze part pops off and 2-is harder to squeeze so starts to hurt hand/forearm.
I attached a mj 800 to a piece of PVC with zip ties. Blow the crap out of everything.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthiest most successful tank I've ever run was a Triton no water change / no mechanical filtration system. I had pumps going in my sump to keep detritus suspend.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just listened to Adam and thoughts about detritus removal phosphates and nitrates but no real conclusion as to if detritus is good or bad. He doesn't know his nutrients levels either. Seems he's always used some form of mechanical filtration so no experience on removing his socks etc to see the results.
Am waiting untiI somebody does some long term science based tests not just what they do and think. Seems nobody really wants to go there.

not scientific based although for over a year I have a system that gets filtered naturally using many different organisms including heterotrophic bacteria artificial stimulation to mimic the ocean filtering capabilities.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not scientific based although for over a year I have a system that gets filtered naturally using many different organisms including heterotrophic bacteria artificial stimulation to mimic the ocean filtering capabilities.
Very similar here. I haven't used mechanical filtration for years just a skimmer and an ATS with a little rowa to aid phosphate control. I just don't see the need for much else and it works for me and some others.

Back