Lethargic golden rhomboid wrasse in QT

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

so today I went to check on my QT. And I noticed my male wrasse was super lethargic swimming at the top of the water. I fed them and he’s picking at the food but not much. It’s a 20 gallon long with a make and female rhomboid and then I have a divider with a purple tang on the other side. Today is day 12 at therapeutic level of copper power. I just tested the copper and it’s at 2.13. It’s a little higher today due to a large water change I made yesterday. I don’t observe any damage or red areas. No rapid breathing however he just seems off. Almost swimming around looking like he’s stoned. purple tang and female rhomboid look normal. Any ideas what could suddenly cause this. I tested nitrates yesterday and they were high which was why I did a 50% water change but outside of that I have no idea. I’ve uploaded a picture and a video.

thanks

4AE80D09-CB1B-4442-9292-9264AB7E0616.jpeg 9ABD9784-095F-4698-8094-7EEAADF1CDF5.jpeg

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took another video. He can’t seem to maintain balance or grab food. Not sure if he jumped and smacked against the lid but he’s not looking good. Still no rapid breathing but if he can’t eat, he will eventually die! =(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took another video. He can’t seem to maintain balance or grab food. Not sure if he jumped and smacked against the lid but he’s not looking good. Still no rapid breathing but if he can’t eat, he will eventually die! =(

Ugh - this is that weird issue seen in newly imported flasher and fairy wrasses. I don't know what causes it, but it isn't from copper (copper could make it worse though?). Because it shows up during quarantine, people blame copper, but that is just coincidental timing.

It is a neurological defect of some sort. People frequently say it's from the fish hitting the tank wall after being frightened. However, these fish never show mouth or head damage as would be expected from striking something hard. There are three likely culprits, none are really treatable: A viral disease, nematodes migrating to the nervous system or Uronema protozoans infecting the nervous system.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh - this is that weird issue seen in newly imported flasher and fairy wrasses. I don't know what causes it, but it isn't from copper (copper could make it worse though?). Because it shows up during quarantine, people blame copper, but that is just coincidental timing.

It is a neurological defect of some sort. People frequently say it's from the fish hitting the tank wall after being frightened. However, these fish never show mouth or head damage as would be expected from striking something hard. There are three likely culprits, none are really treatable: A viral disease, nematodes migrating to the nervous system or Uronema protozoans infecting the nervous system.

Jay Hemdal
Thank you for the reply. Yeah this is the first time I’ve ever experienced a wrasse due this in quarantine. He looks the same today. Really dopey, can’t seem to catch food. I feel like it’s only a matter of time since he can’t grab food. Ugh… so there’s nothing I can even try feeding to him medication wise? Not even fenbendazole to try and kill whatever’s causing this? Should I worry about the other rhomboid and the purple tang. They both still look perfectly healthy and are eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. Yeah this is the first time I’ve ever experienced a wrasse due this in quarantine. He looks the same today. Really dopey, can’t seem to catch food. I feel like it’s only a matter of time since he can’t grab food. Ugh… so there’s nothing I can even try feeding to him medication wise? Not even fenbendazole to try and kill whatever’s causing this? Should I worry about the other rhomboid and the purple tang. They both still look perfectly healthy and are eating.
Since nobody knows what causes this, any treatment would be a pure guess. Fenbendazole will kill nematodes, but then, if it IS worms, and there are a lot of them, they die inside the fish and can cause toxic shock. Viral issues have no cure of course. Internal protozoans such as Uronema are notoriously difficult to treat....sorry, I don't have anything for you to try really.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since nobody knows what causes this, any treatment would be a pure guess. Fenbendazole will kill nematodes, but then, if it IS worms, and there are a lot of them, they die inside the fish and can cause toxic shock. Viral issues have no cure of course. Internal protozoans such as Uronema are notoriously difficult to treat....sorry, I don't have anything for you to try really.

Jay
Well I appreciate the knowledge. I’ve already done my normal 14 days of feeding general cure and they’re in copper. Just more concerned about the other two fish contracting whatever this one has….

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I appreciate the knowledge. I’ve already done my normal 14 days of feeding general cure and they’re in copper. Just more concerned about the other two fish contracting whatever this one has….

I can’t tell you if this is contagious, but the cases I’ve dealt with have all been single fish issues.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can’t tell you if this is contagious, but the cases I’ve dealt with have all been single fish issues.

Jay
Wouldn’t the general cure feeding treat the internal uronema? Since it has metro in it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t the general cure feeding treat the internal uronema? Since it has metro in it?
The dose of metro is always too low. It needs to be fed at 5000ppm to be effective and at that dose it is super bitter to the fish and most won’t eat it, even if you mix it with masking agents like cod liver oil. Uronema is really tough to kill.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back