Lethargic yellow watchman goby

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby has been acting weird the last few days sitting up on my wave maker swimming all over the tank and developing white patches all over his body rubbing his body on the substrate on top of heavy breathing been eating though until today I witnessed him try to take a bite of food and completely missed more than once. Managed to get a few nibbles and back to the cave he is running into rick while swimming not looking good at all. I have a pair of clowns and a bunch of inverts in the tank. Can anyone help me identify what disease he may have? It’s a small 15 gallon tank currently don’t have a qt tank it’s in the cycling process still. Do I need to get him out before whatever infects the rest of the tank?

salinity 1.024
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 15
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.1
Alkalinity 7.7
Temp 77.8
3C20D587-D07A-4C72-BB2D-86C46376C9D6.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2786.MOV
    18.8 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Poor guy is listless and Im thinking water quality . I can say that it will be difficult to assess a possibility with 2/3 of its body in a cave making it impossible to see any signs of bacteria/parasite/deformities and imperfections.

Check in the mean time:
AMMONIA
Nitrate
ph
temperature
Salinity

Live foods may perk it up but again with fish within cave, these are educated guesses and not symptoms.

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy is listless and Im thinking water quality . I can say that it will be difficult to assess a possibility with 2/3 of its body in a cave making it impossible to see any signs of bacteria/parasite/deformities and imperfections.

Check in the mean time:
AMMONIA
Nitrate
ph
temperature
Salinity

Live foods may perk it up but again with fish within cave, these are educated guesses and not symptoms.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.1
Temp 77.6
Salinity 1.025

I do have an established copepod population in the tank I believe have seen him feeding on unfortunately I don’t have any pic of him out at the moment. This is the best shot I could get of him before hobbling back to cave. His Entire left side is covered with white patch.

76A1E8D5-7626-43A0-A414-29C807DFDC73.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a bit of discoloration around the face and best represents bacterial issue and again would be associated with water quality and diet.
Treating in a separate container/tank- maracyn 2

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bit of discoloration around the face and best represents bacterial issue and again would be associated with water quality and diet.
Treating in a separate container/tank- maracyn 2
Other than my nitrates being at 20ppm what else could be would be an issue with the water quality I have all parameters in recommended ranges? I’m new to the saltwater world so any help much appreciated. Do I need to worry about anything spreading in the tank to other fish if it’s a bacteria related? Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Other than my nitrates being at 20ppm what else could be would be an issue with the water quality I have all parameters in recommended ranges? I’m new to the saltwater world so any help much appreciated. Do I need to worry about anything spreading in the tank to other fish if it’s a bacteria related? Thanks
Get a second opinion on ammonia
I think it’s safe to say - get a second reading from a trusted LFS and have them test your water to assure no false reading from your test kit
I’m guessing you are using api kits which are notorious for false readings hence the low price for their kits

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a second opinion on ammonia
I think it’s safe to say - get a second reading from a trusted LFS and have them test your water to assure no false reading from your test kit
I’m guessing you are using api kits which are notorious for false readings hence the low price for their kits
I’m using salifert test kits. I’m sure they work cause i used them threw cycling of tank. I used dr Tim’s one and only with first defense and dosed tank with the ammonia chloride followed instructions to a T. I know I’m new but I made sure I did my research before I jumped in. I’m also using Natures ocean nutri seawater water. Topping off with rodi. I’m also testing alkalinity and phosphate all in range. I’m honestly just trying to figure out what I did wrong and learn from it also do I need to worry about any bacteria infections spreading?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby has been acting weird the last few days sitting up on my wave maker swimming all over the tank and developing white patches all over his body rubbing his body on the substrate on top of heavy breathing been eating though until today I witnessed him try to take a bite of food and completely missed more than once. Managed to get a few nibbles and back to the cave he is running into rick while swimming not looking good at all. I have a pair of clowns and a bunch of inverts in the tank. Can anyone help me identify what disease he may have? It’s a small 15 gallon tank currently don’t have a qt tank it’s in the cycling process still. Do I need to get him out before whatever infects the rest of the tank?

salinity 1.024
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 15
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.1
Alkalinity 7.7
Temp 77.8
3C20D587-D07A-4C72-BB2D-86C46376C9D6.jpeg
How long have you had this fish, and when did you last add an animal to the tank? What I see is possible flukes, followed by a secondary bacterial infection. The little head bob it does in the video is coughing, and fish do that when their gills are congested.

There isn't a lot you can do for it in the DT. If you can move it to a QT, you would start with a five minute freshwater dip (to knock the flukes back). The fish is very sick, so may not survive that (but that also means it was destined to die in a day or two anyway). If the fish does make it through the dip, you would then dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Furan-2 and treat with prazipro for the flukes. If any other fish in your DT show symptoms, you might consider dosing the DT with prazipro as well. In my opinion, dosing the DT with prazipro right away isn't likely to work since the goby also seems to have a secondary bacterial infection - still, it is something to consider.

Jay

OP
OP
kingjames_dc5

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this fish, and when did you last add an animal to the tank? What I see is possible flukes, followed by a secondary bacterial infection. The little head bob it does in the video is coughing, and fish do that when their gills are congested.

There isn't a lot you can do for it in the DT. If you can move it to a QT, you would start with a five minute freshwater dip (to knock the flukes back). The fish is very sick, so may not survive that (but that also means it was destined to die in a day or two anyway). If the fish does make it through the dip, you would then dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Furan-2 and treat with prazipro for the flukes. If any other fish in your DT show symptoms, you might consider dosing the DT with prazipro as well. In my opinion, dosing the DT with prazipro right away isn't likely to work since the goby also seems to have a secondary bacterial infection - still, it is something to consider.

Jay
Had the fish about a 3 weeks put in the DT around the same time. Been fine until the last week or so. I only have a pair of clown in tank with him and they are doing fine not showing any signs of illness..kinda why I was confused about him I unfortunately don’t have a qt tank it’s in the cycling process. I will see if I can find someone with one that can help this little guy out. Is it a possible that water quality played a roll? What’s would cause the bacteria infection as well? Trying to understand what cause the illness so I can help prevent from making the same mistakes. Thanks for the help I appreciate.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the fish about a 3 weeks put in the DT around the same time. Been fine until the last week or so. I only have a pair of clown in tank with him and they are doing fine not showing any signs of illness..kinda why I was confused about him I unfortunately don’t have a qt tank it’s in the cycling process. I will see if I can find someone with one that can help this little guy out. Is it a possible that water quality played a roll? What’s would cause the bacteria infection as well? Trying to understand what cause the illness so I can help prevent from making the same mistakes. Thanks for the help I appreciate.
I do not think it is a water quality issue. You said you have “a bunch of invertebrates” in the tank, but didn’t mention any issues with them. Without exception, in a tank where the inverts are thriving, but fish have problems, it isn’t water quality. Invertebrates are much more sensitive to those issues.
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back