Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 24. I have insomnia so might as well post this update.

Trim is now done.

IMG_4206.jpeg

I also had to find that pipe I sealed into the wall. Cut a small 6x4 hole for access.

IMG_4211.jpeg

I got lucky and was very close to the pipe end, so no cutting required. I felt around to figure out where I needed to drill.

IMG_4212.jpeg

Success!

Glued in some pipe and closed up the aces hole. After paint you’ll never notice it.

IMG_4213.jpeg

IMG_4214.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 25. I had helpers today.

Spent about 3 hours today doing final prep for paint. Took 4 tubes of caulk because of all the beadboard, but everything is sealed up nice and tight now. Ready for paint

IMG_4229.jpeg

I can almost see the finish line now.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 26. Paint. I really didn’t feel like working on this at all today, but I set a goal to get it painted and forced myself to do it.

Last minute prep, just stuff some paper in the boxes and cover pipes.

IMG_4249.jpeg

Drove out to the shed and loaded up my paint stuff. This is an amazing little paint sprayer from Harbor Freight. I also already had plenty of paint left from when I painted my garage last fall.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Then after about an hour of getting setup, it took 20 minutes to spray…

IMG_4254.jpeg

YES IT IS DONE!

That is really the end of “the hard work”. All that’s left is installing the tanks and figuring out how to mount the door.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to find hinges for this huge heavy trap door. :thinking-face:
Probably not a bad idea to find something with some type of slow close feature. Thinking something similar to a storm door with a hydraulic closer. Moreso so it doesn’t come slamming down on the kids.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not a bad idea to find something with some type of slow close feature. Thinking something similar to a storm door with a hydraulic closer. Moreso so it doesn’t come slamming down on the kids.

I’ll definitely be putting two gas struts on there. The problem I’m having is finding a hinge that will be hidden, support the weight and also not bind. I watched YouTube videos for an hour and didn’t find anything great.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely be putting two gas struts on there. The problem I’m having is finding a hinge that will be hidden, support the weight and also not bind. I watched YouTube videos for an hour and didn’t find anything great.
Yeah, I used a pair of those for each of my light canopy doors so I they open like an awning, soft close, etc. work great. Heavy but nothing like your door.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something like this, 4 in a row possibly

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say leave it, some kids need a hard lesson.

Day 26. Paint. I really didn’t feel like working on this at all today, but I set a goal to get it painted and forced myself to do it.

Last minute prep, just stuff some paper in the boxes and cover pipes.

IMG_4249.jpeg

Drove out to the shed and loaded up my paint stuff. This is an amazing little paint sprayer from Harbor Freight. I also already had plenty of paint left from when I painted my garage last fall.

IMG_4246.jpeg

Then after about an hour of getting setup, it took 20 minutes to spray…

IMG_4254.jpeg

YES IT IS DONE!

That is really the end of “the hard work”. All that’s left is installing the tanks and figuring out how to mount the door.

heck of a job, and a fun thread follow over the last month or so.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you think the door weighs?

I’d guess it’s around 80 pounds.

something like this, 4 in a row possibly

I saw these on Amazon. Supposedly they will hold 45lb each. Not sure I believe it! These might work if I can figure out how to mount them.

Ranbo 6 x 2.5 x 1 inch Zinc Alloy/Aluminum Alloy Material Heavy Duty Invisible/Concealed/Hidden 3 Way Adjustable Butt Hinge Suitable for Commercial Residential Industrial Door https://a.co/d/66zP2o6

may want to look into a piano hinge to run the whole length of the side:

That would definitely work but wouldn’t be hidden.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed there’s a 7-inch home that supports 88lb each. And fully adjustable is nice. Maybe two of these and some struts then.

I’d have to mortise the side jamb and I think add a board on the door to mortise for the other half.

And it only opens 180 degrees, which is ok I think.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed there’s a 7-inch home that supports 88lb each. And fully adjustable is nice. Maybe two of these and some struts then.

I’d have to mortise the side jamb and I think add a board on the door to mortise for the other half.

I was gonna say these work awesome I use them all the time.. basically what you linked.. these soss are super strong..
image.jpg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think they would work best and if your adding gas struts they will take lots of the load

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say these work awesome I use them all the time.. basically what you linked.. these soss are super strong..
image.jpg
Oh thanks I’ve heard of soss but never used them. I need to see if they have some rated for outdoor use.

The only problem is there’s 1” thick tongue-and-groove pine floor in the mix. It’s not just two pieces of thick material like a normal door and jamb. It may still work if I get creative. Or maybe there is a model for a super thick door that could work.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back