Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had good luck with uniseals, they always seem to leak. Even if it's not right away, they all eventually end up leaking.

Schedule 80 bulkheads have a thick enough gasket to "smoosh" into not flat surfaces.

At my previous house I had two installed in barrels that never leaked a drop in 8 years. They usually do fine for me and I've probably used a couple dozen of them over the decades. I was really surprised it leaked!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap Ken that is wild!! You never contacted me...

They acclimated well, were doing great, schooling and eating fine, and on the third day I started noticing large red blotches, internally, affecting more than half of their body.
Do you have pictures?! I would love to see what you saw.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap Ken that is wild!! You never contacted me...

I was too disgusted and realized there was nothing I could do. I was going to try food soaking but the effected fish immediately stopped eating.

I tried to get pictures but they are not very good. The camera would only capture the darkest areas, so if you see a blotch there are 50% more not visible in the pictures.

Sick fish would have closed fins, if they did come out they would hover in the top corner, distressed breathing.

These are from 5/9:

IMG_4394.png
IMG_4393.jpeg
IMG_4392.png
IMG_4391.png

As it got worse they got easier to see… these are 5/12, 5/14
IMG_4390.png

IMG_4389.png
IMG_4388.jpeg

After it covered 50% of their body for a day or so they would then hide constantly and disappeared one by one. Never saw a dead fish.

Never any external symptoms other than behavioral changes.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 33. Removed uniseal and put in a bulkhead. I was able to do this without taking the tank out. I fished a piece of RODI tubing up the hole and slid the bulkhead down into place, then pulled out through. Haven’t leak tested yet but will tomorrow.

IMG_4395.jpeg

Need to clean up but it looks really cool down here at night!!

IMG_4396.jpeg

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was too disgusted and realized there was nothing I could do. I was going to try food soaking but the effected fish immediately stopped eating.

I tried to get pictures but they are not very good. The camera would only capture the darkest areas, so if you see a blotch there are 50% more not visible in the pictures.

Sick fish would have closed fins, if they did come out they would hover in the top corner, distressed breathing.

These are from 5/9:

IMG_4394.png
IMG_4393.jpeg
IMG_4392.png
IMG_4391.png

As it got worse they got easier to see… these are 5/12, 5/14
IMG_4390.png

IMG_4389.png
IMG_4388.jpeg

After it covered 50% of their body for a day or so they would then hide constantly and disappeared one by one. Never saw a dead fish.

Never any external symptoms other than behavioral changes.
Well please send me a message, let me get you taken care of. It kinda looks like bruising...

We can come up with a plan to introduce any new fish from us as well if you like. I am happy to work with you to get the fish you want into your system. What a bummer that was the outcome but I am glad it doesn't look like uronema outside of the general description as you said.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 34.

Bulkhead worked. Leak seems fixed now.

I ran all the 1/4” RODI tubing under the house. All the tubing is run in 3/4" PVC pipe. I should NOT need to get under the house again!! :cool:

I cut a 2-gang hole in the wall for the tubing to pass through. I have plans to make this look nice. Waiting on some parts from Amazon.

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

Here’s all the tubing…

IMG_4408.jpeg

Then three of the lines come out inside my tank cabinet. When I put the tank in I put this access door in and also a 1.5” pipe going through the floor into the crawlspace. This is so I can easily pull tubing or wire through!! Really came in handy today. I’ll cap it later.

IMG_4409.jpeg

The gray plug is for my Stenner pumps. It will patch them though to Hydros as if I ran a long extension cord.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 35.

The bulkhead is leaking very slowly. Maybe a spot the size of a silver dollar each 24 hours. I still have to fix it though. :rolleyes: Never had so many problems with a leak like this.

Waiting on some parts so I worked on random things like making this wall plate for 1/4” bulkheads.

IMG_4421.jpeg
IMG_4422.jpeg

I will also be making a set for Hydros GX12 connectors. I’ll share all the files for this stuff in the 3D print thread after.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Printing a batch of tube holders and brackets while I’m at work.

IMG_4426.jpeg
you may want to look into a PEI springsteel build surface; They're pretty inexpensive and they're transformative.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to look into a PEI springsteel build surface; They're pretty inexpensive and they're transformative.
Thanks never seen those. I’m pretty bad at 3D printing, not really into it. I wish I had a cutter for sheet metal though!

The tape is just because I’m trying PETG, which probably isn’t going to end well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back