Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got into it to mess around with my RC hobbies and make stuff for my kids. Then I started making aquarium stuff and didn't like EBay so I started https://parlaquatics.com for the random 3D stuff I design. I really enjoy the designing.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into it to mess around with my RC hobbies and make stuff for my kids. Then I started making aquarium stuff and didn't like EBay so I started https://parlaquatics.com for the random 3D stuff I design. I really enjoy the designing.
That is really cool! Quite a selection of parts. I like designing too but I only know solids, sketch, and sheet metal… haven’t tried to learn the rest of Fusion yet. I use Sketchup for woodworking.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is really cool! Quite a selection of parts. I like designing too but I only know solids, sketch, and sheet metal… haven’t tried to learn the rest of Fusion yet. I use Sketchup for woodworking.
Thanks!
I tried SketchUp todo some landscaping but ended up doing it fusion360 because I wasn't ready for the learning curve... I shoulda watched some videos.
if you see any fusion360 video by Lars its worth watching!
How did you learn Sketchup?

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I tried SketchUp todo some landscaping but ended up doing it fusion360 because I wasn't ready for the learning curve... I shoulda watched some videos.
if you see any fusion360 video by Lars its worth watching!
How did you learn Sketchup?

I mostly learned Sketchup from YouTube videos specifically related to woodworking use.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 36. Spent a lot of time running around getting random supplies I needed but still got a lot done.

I hooked up the water lines to the wall plate. I labeled them all too hopefully prevent mistakes.

IMG_4444.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4446.jpeg

Then I removed the hatches and enlarged the holes. They were too tight and didn’t open easily.

Then I took apart the dual head Stenner pump for AWC. It needed cleaning and new hoses. This is REALLY complicated when you only do it every couple years but I got it done.
IMG_4447.jpeg
IMG_4449.jpeg

Pumps all cleaned. Time to mount them.

IMG_4453.jpeg
IMG_4455.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still on hold waiting for parts. This is just like a house where the construction goes fast and the finish work drags on.

I’m currently on a side quest, converting some mollies to saltwater because I have a new fish to quarantine on the way. :rolleyes:

IMG_4494.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still on hold waiting for parts. This is just like a house where the construction goes fast and the finish work drags on.

I’m currently on a side quest, converting some mollies to saltwater because I have a new fish to quarantine on the way. :rolleyes:

IMG_4494.jpeg
I think the contractor is trying to milk the homeowner… oh wait….

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on parts to arrive.

In the meantime, here is the fish that just went into QT today. I am absolutely terrified that I'm trying quarantine on one of these. He is in 2PPM copper. I just fed him for the first time and, entirely to my surprise, he is eating like a pig! I fed a cube each of mysis and brine and he ate almost all of it. This is a good and bad thing... I'll have to be really careful not to overfeed with him and cause ammonia spike.

Screenshot_12a.png

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ain’t cheap these days so good it’s eating. Hopefully he makes it through the Cu.
Yeah the copper is the least of my worries. I think people blame it for other problems. I’m most worried about ammonia, oxygen depletion and the likely possibility he’s already carrying something that will emerge soon. I’m most afraid of ich in his gills. I’m already getting supplies setup in case I need to do an H2O2 bath.

I did a lot of reading and there’s more conflicting information on this fish than any other I’ve seen.

Mollies are at 1.024 now, so hopefully I can get them in tomorrow.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out how to cut the mortises for these SOSS hinges. Normally I would route them, which I can do for the door, but I don’t have clearance on the porch side. They seem to require tight tolerances (in 32nds) so this will not be a fun time if I have to chisel them by hand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back