Let's debate the pro and cons of kessil ap700 vs ap9x.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure why one can not find the ap700 on most all big web stores now, but MANN they are pushing the ap9x tho. I remember debating my light choices 3yrs ago between 360we 360x or the ap700 (it was the new thing) the ap700 is only 4 years old and it seems to have fallen COMPLETELY off the radar. and the ones I have found are on sale at a good price but again wonder why?

ill start.
so whats the pros or cons of these two lights?
why the ap9 over the ap700?
why has the ap700 kinda vanished?
not much out there on this, if the light functions, im good looks, and style, is not important to me. I hang my light and walk away.
You can still find those 360we

Last edited:

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the ap700 is a great light I see nothing they did different with the ap9. It seems that just trying to market a bad product with no new features. The ap 700 even looks better then the ap9. I own both and sent back the ap9 and just bought another ap700. I will say one thing with the ap700 kessil never really cared about there customers and fixed the crapy app

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ap700 is a great light I see nothing they did different with the ap9. It seems that just trying to market a bad product with no new features. The ap 700 even looks better then the ap9.
im leaning toward the 7 cause I have been following it for several years. what were your cons on the ap9? or reason for sending it back. i have only had one run-in with kess customer care and it was really positive even on an item that was a few weeks outside of warranty. but you never know.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AP700 (and A360WEs) have been discontinued - the remaining stock is on clearance pricing. That's why they're becoming less and less widely available - as partners sell out, they don't have the ability to replenish stock. We'll continue to provide support for all units, so no need to worry about getting a product and being stuck with something we don't support down the road.

As for the differences between the AP700 and AP9X:

- AP9X is substantially smaller and lighter. This allows for more mounting options (single arm mount is available)
- The AP9X puts out about 12-15% more light than the AP700 with the same power draw. This is due to advances made in the LED technology in the 5 years since the AP700 was launched.
- The connection process and app that the AP9X runs are far more reliable and robust than the AP700
- The AP9X has a revamped fan and heat sink which allows for the unit to run quieter and more efficiently
- The lensing between the AP9X and AP700 has been reworked to allow for a more even blanket of light with less hotspots
- The AP9X gives you additional control over the color channels (Violet, Red, Green) to allow you to tweak the visual appeal to your liking
- The AP9X allows for wired or wireless control between units, depending on how you want to use it.
- The AP9X has 0-10v control ports, allowing the AP9X to act as a "brain" for older 0-10v Kessil fixtures to control them

Ultimately, the development of the AP9X was driven by monitoring failures and feedback from AP700 users for years before we decided to revamp the light. We don't just release a new lamp just to release a new lamp - we're not a phone company.

Let me know if there's other questions we can help to clarify!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 ap700's from saltwateraquarium.com last month got them for 800 bucks for 2!
It's definitely a steal. We don't drop pricing very often. The AP700 clearance pricing is the lowest discount (both by dollars and %) that we've ever offered. Once they're gone, they're gone though!

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get the diffusers for my AP 700 but haven't been able to find those

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ap700 is a great light I see nothing they did different with the ap9. It seems that just trying to market a bad product with no new features. The ap 700 even looks better then the ap9. I own both and sent back the ap9 and just bought another ap700. I will say one thing with the ap700 kessil never really cared about there customers and fixed the crapy app
Completely agree the app is crap

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were discontinued years back. My only suggestion is to keep an eye on places like the used gear forums here or eBay - some pop up every so often.
I love the ap 700 so much they are awesome but what exactly would the diffusers do to make them better

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few more questions for me. my tank is a 4' x 2' x 30" do i really need two? seems one would be ok mounted in the middle,

as for the par at 30" deep in your opinion would it be acceptable, im not a stick head im a mixed tank kinda guy.

what about apex connectivity?

i presently run 4 kessil 360we with 4 t5 bulbs its kinda cramped at the top of my tank. will this one be equal to or better than my current lights that are several several years old? the plan is to move this old setup to my fowler tank and install the ap9x but i fear my corals would suffer.

I have my shopping cart pre-loaded with an ap9x just needing to be pushed over the edge.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree the app is crap

The app has had it's issues in the past - not going to deny that. The most recent firmware update on the AP700s did help with that. Check to make sure you're running firmware 4.2. If you're having repeat issues, reach out to our support and we'll see what we can do.
I love the ap 700 so much they are awesome but what exactly would the diffusers do to make them better

The diffusers had somewhat of a small, but extremely loyal following. There were people who claimed it helped to mix the color better, or grow their coral more, or a variety of other things. Ultimately though, they didn't make sense to keep making so we made the choice to discontinue them.

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app has had it's issues in the past - not going to deny that. The most recent firmware update on the AP700s did help with that. Check to make sure you're running firmware 4.2. If you're having repeat issues, reach out to our support and we'll see what we can do.

The diffusers had somewhat of a small, but extremely loyal following. There were people who claimed it helped to mix the color better, or grow their coral more, or a variety of other things. Ultimately though, they didn't make sense to keep making so we made the choice to discontinue them.
I have to check if mine is updated I just got them last month and have not looked to update it

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few more questions for me. my tank is a 4' x 2' x 30" do i really need two? seems one would be ok mounted in the middle,

as for the par at 30" deep in your opinion would it be acceptable, im not a stick head im a mixed tank kinda guy.

what about apex connectivity?

i presently run 4 kessil 360we with 4 t5 bulbs its kinda cramped at the top of my tank. will this one be equal to or better than my current lights that are several several years old? the plan is to move this setup to my fowler tank and install tha ap9x but i fear my corals would suffer.

I have my shopping cart pre loaded with a ap9x just needing pushed over the edge.
1 lamp would work well for this setup.

Given that you currently have A360WE, the AP9X is absolutely the way you should go. The AP9X will allow you to control your A360WE via the app as it has those 0-10v ports on the back. You would be able to choose how many A360WE you want to run in order to achieve your desired intensity numbers, and have 1-2 as spares on hand.

APEX compatibility is actively in the works right now. We're waiting on a few things we need from Neptune, but both companies are actively developing the software needed. Hopefully we'll be able to provide more concrete info on it soon for y'all.

T33BLACK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does anyone have any good settings they like to share for either light? What is a recommended schedule to follow for them to go off of like a guide

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you currently have A360WE, the AP9X is absolutely the way you should go. The AP9X will allow you to control your A360WE via the app as it has those 0-10v ports on the back. You would be able to choose how many A360WE you want to run in order to achieve your desired intensity numbers, and have 1-2 as spares on hand.
let me clarify I want to move all my current 360we and my t5 bulbs to my 6' fowler tank, and install the ap9x only over my 4' x 2' x 30" reef tank, if I make this move will one ap9x still be enough or should I keep 1 or 2 360we to work with the ap9x over my 4' x 2' x 30" reef

when you say speak of the 0-10v cables you are talking about those 3.5 mm headphone-looking cables i currently have connected all four of my current lights together?.

can you pm me a promo code? hahahahahahaha.
can i buy direct from kessil? i will not hold you accountable if it does not work out in the future with the ap9x. I understand the difference between professional opinion and **** happens

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ap9x bought. that will do donkey,,,, that will do. lol

Capture.JPG

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im leaning toward the 7 cause I have been following it for several years. what were your cons on the ap9? or reason for sending it back. i have only had one run-in with kess customer care and it was really positive even on an item that was a few weeks outside of warranty. but you never know.
I mean the main cons
-more expensive
-even worse app
-The colors and par are pretty much the same (I see no difference)
-The mounting is nicer for the ap700 if you are doing wall hang
-the ap700 looks more sleek and natural while the apx9 looks like a flying space ship (person preference)
- Over all the price has a huge different I got my ap700 on sale

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perhaps the ap700 processor was too limited to support the app features demanded by customers. Easier to start over with the ap9.
Im pretty sure people are talking about the app on how it would just crash and make your life hell if you wanted to add 2

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back