Let's Discuss the IceCap K1 Nano Protein Skimmer

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon Fellas and Lady Fellas,

I was doing my usual monthly maintenance supply order on saltwateraquarium.com when I noticed this little guy: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/k1-nano-protein-skimmer-10-30-gallons-icecap/

This new skimmer excites me as a Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 owner with skimmer woes, especially this part:

ic_k1_nanofootprint_1.jpg

By my reckoning, it will fit in the accessory chamber of the Nuvo 20 with no issues, here are the dimensions of the back of the tank:

208930-innovativemarinenuvofusionnano20kit-k_2.jpg

My only worry is the height, the bottom of the chamber from the back of the tank is 8.25 inches deep at the water line (in my tank) and the skimmer in question is 13 inches tall.

What do you guys think? I've been looking for a new skimmer and I am trying to avoid hang on back styles as hard as I can. This skimmer is so new that there are no videos on YouTube as well.

PS: If enough of you guys say go for it, I WILL GO FOR IT because my subconscious is telling me...

giphy.gif

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on one myself ! It should fit in second chambers no problem according to the dimensions.

I read somewhere optimal water height is 6-9 inches. (one of the websites selling it, don't remember which one) so thats not a problem. It will probably stick up a good bit, but that might add character to the tank ;)

I'm most curious about noise level though as my tank is in my bedroom.

I would love for you to guinea pig this!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on one myself ! It should fit in second chambers no problem according to the dimensions.

I read somewhere optimal water height is 6-9 inches. (one of the websites selling it, don't remember which one) so thats not a problem. It will probably stick up a good bit, but that might add character to the tank ;)

I'm most curious about noise level though as my tank is in my bedroom.

I would love for you to guinea pig this!
Of course you would love me to guinea pig it ;)

I think I will, I haven't bought any coral or fish in a while so my tank FUNds are in good condition haha

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im happy with the icecap K2-50. I know this is a new skimmer but assuming the new smallest model compares to their old smallest model ut should be decent little work horse.
I certainly hope so, the innovative marine Ghost Skimmer I have has been a headache since I got it and it's definitely time for something better.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it and regret it, it’s a piece of junk and I can’t believe they actually sell this stuff.

It’s very loud, cheaply made and impossible to tune.

the cup is a joke, maybe fine for a 5g tank.

Sorry I don’t have better news. I was looking forward to it too as it fits nicely in the back of my biocube without any adjustments, but it’s junk...couldn’t return it cause I used it and don’t even feel it’d be fair to try to resell it.

Maki_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed it today. Came with no instructions and I've never assembled/installed a Skimmer, so that was a bummer.

The cup is pretty sketchy, the tuning is extremely sketchy, and it is by far not as quiet as some people have made out. It's definitely got noise straight up, we'll see in 2 weeks.

My biggest beef is purely the tuning, being new, and not getting instructions, I just winged it tuning wise on the valve. It filled up the cup about 20% in about an hour, brown water, bubbles are big and thick.
Since I emptied the cup pretty quickly, it's barely filled it up after twisting the valve a few hundred times.
Who knows how it'll perform. It's a loose canon.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay Tuned....
I bought it and regret it, it’s a piece of junk and I can’t believe they actually sell this stuff.

It’s very loud, cheaply made and impossible to tune.

the cup is a joke, maybe fine for a 5g tank.

Sorry I don’t have better news. I was looking forward to it too as it fits nicely in the back of my biocube without any adjustments, but it’s junk...couldn’t return it cause I used it and don’t even feel it’d be fair to try to resell it.
Installed it today. Came with no instructions and I've never assembled/installed a Skimmer, so that was a bummer.

The cup is pretty sketchy, the tuning is extremely sketchy, and it is by far not as quiet as some people have made out. It's definitely got noise straight up, we'll see in 2 weeks.

My biggest beef is purely the tuning, being new, and not getting instructions, I just winged it tuning wise on the valve. It filled up the cup about 20% in about an hour, brown water, bubbles are big and thick.
Since I emptied the cup pretty quickly, it's barely filled it up after twisting the valve a few hundred times.
Who knows how it'll perform. It's a loose canon.

Well I've already pulled the trigger on this, thanks for your input though. I'll get it in and see if I can't make it work somehow. If it doesn't go well my YouTube review should help some folks not make the same mistake again :)

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I got this on pre order over a month ago as there are not many skimmers that will fit the back chamber of the IM Fusion Nano and everyone seems to dislike the IM Ghost skimmer.

So, does it fit: yes, but it does stick out above the tank a good 5 inches or so. Also, I can't get it to fit straight, the filter sock frame in the over flow compartment sticks out and hits it.

But I will say, it does seem to work ( I have a 4 month old new tank that is too clean) and to me it is super quiet.

I hope this helps! Good luck with yours!

Fred

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I got this on pre order over a month ago as there are not many skimmers that will fit the back chamber of the IM Fusion Nano and everyone seems to dislike the IM Ghost skimmer.

So, does it fit: yes, but it does stick out above the tank a good 5 inches or so. Also, I can't get it to fit straight, the filter sock frame in the over flow compartment sticks out and hits it.

But I will say, it does seem to work ( I have a 4 month old new tank that is too clean) and to me it is super quiet.

I hope this helps! Good luck with yours!

Fred
I use the media baskets so not being able to get it straight shouldn't be an issue, thatnks for your feedback though :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good idea, do you use the IM baskets?
Yup, I put filter floss on the top and bottom rack and phosphate reducing pads on the middle.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back