Let's Discuss the IceCap K1 Nano Protein Skimmer

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mulling over pulling the trigger on one myself ! It should fit in second chambers no problem according to the dimensions.

I read somewhere optimal water height is 6-9 inches. (one of the websites selling it, don't remember which one) so thats not a problem. It will probably stick up a good bit, but that might add character to the tank ;)

I'm most curious about noise level though as my tank is in my bedroom.

I would love for you to guinea pig this!
Quiet, can't even tell you have it.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few questions here. I am using a standard rimless tank. Could I mount on the inside edge of the tank. Also can I extend the airline to incorporate a Co2 scrubber?
Not sure about the CO2 scrubber but the skimmer comes with a magnet mount for rimless and non-AIO stlye aquariums

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting as Nathaniel said it was slightly less so than the ghost which is noisy (or so i've heard)
Did you mount it anyway special to reduce vibrating?
It's not the vibrations of the motor on the tank making the noise, it's mostly it producing the bubbles that makes all the noise. Sounds like a white noise machine if you've ever heard one of those.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the CO2 scrubber but the skimmer comes with a magnet mount for rimless and non-AIO stlye aquariums
That's an improvement over the K2, though it did come with an in-tank hang on bracket. Still really happy to see Coralvue hitting some segments that have been pretty neglected, with items that aren't just overpriced junk.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an improvement over the K2, though it did come with an in-tank hang on bracket. Still really happy to see Coralvue hitting some segments that have been pretty neglected, with items that aren't just overpriced junk.
I agree, this is the second product I have from CoralVue (Maxspect Ethereal) and even though neither are perfect, you can get them to do their intended job fairly well after some tweaking.

Steezy B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about grabbing one of these for my nuvo 10. You mentioned the noise is from the bubbles mostly, but how loud is that? My 10 is in my bedroom and I listening to a skimmer all night is not an option

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about grabbing one of these for my nuvo 10. You mentioned the noise is from the bubbles mostly, but how loud is that? My 10 is in my bedroom and I listening to a skimmer all night is not an option
It's not super loud but it probably would be loud enough to annoy me at night when I'm sleeping. You don't really notice it until it is the only thing making sound.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything added to tank wipes out foam/skim column and takes 15-20 to re-build back up. Quiet, decent price, and very well made.

That's pretty common with all skimmers, even my Lifereef :). What matters is how fast it comes back, and it sounds like yours recovers quickly which is awesome!

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting as Nathaniel said it was slightly less so than the ghost which is noisy (or so i've heard)
Did you mount it anyway special to reduce vibrating?
No, just drop right in. The Biocube has several levels of ridges/lips that can be used to rest the unit on, so in that way it is pretty flexible.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even flake food?

Yes, although it is "dry" it still contains oils and other things within the food and from your fingers that, once it goes into the water and especially on smaller volumes, break the surface tension in the water which is what kills foam production.

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 2 things about this skimmer.

First I noticed, the output fixture fits very loosely/poorly into skimmer. Skinny wire tie locked that right in. Had to use for previous skimmer, so no brainer.

Second, started nopox, they said it would kill skimmer. I completely cleaned this before I went to work. Skim not even going to cup, coming out top. I woke to that this am as well.

So it's doing something, now maybe flow adjuster may mean something. :)

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180501_222736.jpg
Well 2 things about this skimmer.

First I noticed, the output fixture fits very loosely/poorly into skimmer. Skinny wire tie locked that right in. Had to use for previous skimmer, so no brainer.

Second, started nopox, they said it would kill skimmer. I completely cleaned this before I went to work. Skim not even going to cup, coming out top. I woke to that this am as well.

So it's doing something, now maybe flow adjuster may mean something. :)
Tv

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should at those glass ones from Japan. Sleek, quiet, expensive. Glass though. Get great reviews.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where i can get one of these skimmers? Looks like it's out of stock everywhere but ebay..for $999(not kidding, someone is actually trying to flip it for that much).

lmarlowe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw that, ridiculous. Champion Lighting shows having them. Although that I placed an order with them (via Amazon) and they cancelled it after sending shipping confirmation. No explanation. At time Premium Aquatics and Fragtagstic Reef both had them.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks.

I called fragtagstic yesterday but they didn't return my call. I got a hold of champion lighting a minute ago and they said they don't have them in stock.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back