Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachems version of the AO and it dont leach if the PH is neutral or lower. Perferct for ca/rx effluent. ;)
But i use rowa as well in a reactor.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phosban does not leach aluminum it is iron based. Only aluminum based ones like phosguard do. Aluminum based phosphate removers are usually white to cream colored. Iron based removers (gfo) are usually brown and basically are rust.

Aluminum based removers work well but can leach some phosphate back when exhausted where iron based do not. Both can remove phosphate at a very fast rate so use caution when first introducing them and so slowly.

Bleaching has occurred in sps with the use of gfo. No one knows why for sure and it does not always happen. One idea I came up with is the increase in iron in the water which can fuel algae and zooxanthellae is algae. It increases and produces more oxygen which sps can not handle and expels some of the zooxanthellae

Dave

Last edited:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would only use that stuff, or any other chemical water cleaner unless you absolutely need to.

instead, just go with carbon and regular water changes.

in a new tank, algae outbreaks are completely normal......and should just be allowed to take their course.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i don't even run my rowaphos all the time only if i see an algae outbreak but i haven't had any in like 5 months. I've been starting to feed everyday again but haven't notice any algae growing either and i up the lighting period by 1 hour. I just go my water changes every sunday.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been kicking around the idea of using some type of gfo. For now, i am going to rely on skimming and my massive crop of chaeto. I dont have alge outbreaks and my sps seem to grow well and have decent color considering im a newbie. For now im going to avoid it, if i find problems later on i would run it but i would start with 1/4 reccomended ammount and id steer clear of aluminum based products.

anomie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started, I was told by a lfs that I should run GFO from the get-go because live rock is always going to leech phosphates. While I have no idea if that is true or not, I have run GFO from the begining with no ill effects (that I know of) on my softie/lps tank. FWIW, I still had the new tank algea blooms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back