Let's get salty! What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use?

What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use? Mulitple choice available!

• Price

Votes: 289 41.2%
  • Brand Loyality

Votes: 84 12.0%
  • Mixes Easy

Votes: 232 33.1%
  • Mixes Clean

Votes: 270 38.5%
  • Mixes to the right parameters

Votes: 426 60.8%
  • Easy to get

Votes: 203 29.0%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 40 5.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's get salty today!

There are so many salts to choose from and so many reasons as to why people choose one over the other. Today I would like to know why!

Brand loyalty, price, ease of mixing, ease of getting, mixing parameters, cleanliness etc..

Why do you use the salt that you use? What are the reasons?

best salt graphic.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NSW because I can get it for free and it's consistent. I do have to add Alk and MG to match the reef.

Otherwise, I use IO because it's consistent and not really high in Alk. I aim for 8DkH and some of the other salts are crazy high and require acid additions to match my system.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell NeoMarine. Has been great for the 5+ years I have been reefing. One thing I have learned is if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it! And it mixes fast and clean.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro, I have been successful after trying their "Mixed Reef Recipe" and I am happy with my results so I don't plan on changing.

On the other side though, I don't do water changes unless there is a problem. I just test, test, test, then dose accordingly to maintain stable parameters.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got into this hobby I watched the @Bulk Reef Supply 52 weeks of reefing and they always recommended HW Marine Reefer mix, so I started with it, since then I like the parameters it mixes at and it’s very easy to mix, so I continued using it.

Last edited:

BadgerReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marine Pro because it mixes consistent to the parameters I need for a SPS tank. Also it disolves quickly in case I need to make up some for an emergency.
Also very stable in storage to keep water available for auto water change or such emergency situations.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Absolute Ocean (that's probably not a salt... but it does the same thing) if I have to make up saltwater (not often). I also use it to increase salinity if it drops - equal amounts of the two liquids dumped into the sump and job done.

I used it from initial setup and it mixes instantly as it's liquid and the levels are spot on.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin for some of the reasons stated above, but for a new reefer like me, its a great way to eliminate another variable. Its homogeneous from the top to the bottom of the bucket, every time. The most consistent piece of advice you hear from seasoned reefers is be consistent in what you do. This salt enables me to be consistent in one more facet. Put enough consistent (and correct) facets together and I get happy fishies and corals.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro, I have been successful after trying their "Mixed Reef Recipe" and I am happy with my results so I don't plan on changing.

On the other side though, I don't do water changes unless there is a problem. I just test, test, test, then dose accordingly to maintain stable parameters.

Do you dose to match all of the "Mixed Reef Recipe" levels ie. DKH 11.3?

Back