Let's get salty! What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use?

What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use? Mulitple choice available!

• Price

Votes: 289 41.2%
  • Brand Loyality

Votes: 84 12.0%
  • Mixes Easy

Votes: 232 33.1%
  • Mixes Clean

Votes: 270 38.5%
  • Mixes to the right parameters

Votes: 426 60.8%
  • Easy to get

Votes: 203 29.0%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 40 5.7%

• Total voters

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected mine In this order not saying this is a good way but it seemed to make sense to me
1) can be mixed and stored with little precipitation
2) matched the parameters I wanted
3) decent brand

Great reasons, just curious on your choice?

Ditzel1200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro - Acro and SPS love it - doesn't screw my Cal-Reactor balence up - always the same levels in each bag - I don't have to scrape creep off the water line - mixes better then any other I've used . You get what you pay for.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you beat this for the price. So you have to take 5mins and clean out your bin once an a while, big deal :). If anyone is interested chewy is running a sale right now :)

salt.JPG

Last edited:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with RSCP then onto Salinity as it is mined but now use TMPR as Salinity left my buckets absolutely filthy and all crusty. Tank has never looked better since moving to TMPR and could not be happier. If I couldn’t get my hands on it for some reason I would used RSCP

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro: 40-42 gallons mixes clear in 15 mins, plus it has the numbers I like and it's cheap...was cheap.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Quantum probiotic SPS salt it's the quickest and cleanest salt I've ever used the specifications of the salt is the same from one bucket to the next. The livestock seem to enjoy the change over to this salt and respond well to it as well I'll be using this salt till the end of keeping my glass box with a portion of the reef within it.
IMG_20191111_220815.png

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you beat this for the price. So you have to take 5mins and clean out your bin once an a while, big deal :). If anyone is interested chewy is running a sale right now :)

salt.JPG

I used to love it, but it’s DKH is too high, at 13!! So I switched.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get salty today!

There are so many salts to choose from and so many reasons as to why people choose one over the other. Today I would like to know why!

Brand loyalty, price, ease of mixing, ease of getting, mixing parameters, cleanliness etc..

Why do you use the salt that you use? What are the reasons?

best salt graphic.jpg

My children of the sea, tell me, but more, show me. At first I was really green m being able to buy wholesale, I've had the chance to try every brand. In the end, Ocean in Motion, real ocean water with microplankton , I will never use synthetic again.
I haven't set up my auto water changer yet, but when I do, system will be very simple, because sw ready to use. No mixing, no adjusting specific gravity. Store and use.

Here proof of its benefits. Pictures done lie. I'm already a Grandpa and going to be a Great Grandpa eventually

20+ babies and 15 frags we cut and are growing

IMG_20191107_134251_303.jpg IMG_20191103_223419_882.jpg

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using instant ocean reef crystals. I started with normal instant ocean but after deciding that there were going to be way more corals in the tank than I had originally planned, I figure I would go to IO reef crystals.

After 2 or 3 different shops and people had said the use IO RC and seeing there tanks it clearly is working as a product.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they changed their Formulas, back in the day we did a 50/50 mix of both Oceanic and Instant ocean and end up with ~ 450cal, 9 ° Dkh, 1370 mag.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I let my fish and coral talk to me. I have tried and used Many sea salt brands as I have many years in. Instant ocean will forever be an industry leader .
I have a love for reef Crystals, however have experimented with Red Sea Coral Pro, aquaForest, Fritz Pro, Kent, Corallife, Live Aquaria and have now ordered Tropic Mairin Actif as I typically keep a mixed reef.
I believe from testimony, results from others and speaking with a REP at RAP...… Tropic Marin may be my best yet but time will tell.

Reeferfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get salty today!

There are so many salts to choose from and so many reasons as to why people choose one over the other. Today I would like to know why!

Brand loyalty, price, ease of mixing, ease of getting, mixing parameters, cleanliness etc..

best salt graphic.jpg

Reeferfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get salty today!

best salt graphic.jpg

Osidedude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sand filtered ocean water I get from Scripps in San Diego (La Jolla). Don't miss buying and mixing saltwater

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bet that the larger tanks might care about price more than the nanos overall. But just a guess.

Reeferfrank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out using red reef pro then I changed to fritz blue box I find it holds the ph well and I don’t have to add magnesium or calcium in between water changes. I use it on my 150 mixed tank and my 32 gal biocube reef tank

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HW Marinemix. Mixes to the parameters I like, mixes clean.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back