Let's get salty! What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use?

What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use? Mulitple choice available!

• Price

Votes: 289 41.2%
  • Brand Loyality

Votes: 84 12.0%
  • Mixes Easy

Votes: 232 33.1%
  • Mixes Clean

Votes: 270 38.5%
  • Mixes to the right parameters

Votes: 426 60.8%
  • Easy to get

Votes: 203 29.0%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 40 5.7%

• Total voters

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz RPM Pro for the last 4 years , I do not do water changes, its the only salt that mixes to the parameters I run , and is not a HOT mix -dkh is 8.5-8.8 , where as every other salt i used in the past mixed fresh @ 11- 13 !! My corals like nutrient uptake :) I have been running this salt in my system longer than alot of peoples tanks have been running , without a water change , I did add a 30 gallon frag tank into the system at the 2 year mark , only water besides top off that has hit the system in 4 years, I get insane growth out of every coral , SPS , LPS,. And regularly save dying /dead corals . My experience is not typical , just sharing my results. ( also never lost a coral in this mixed reef 3 tank 180 gallon Total volume system) Here is the kicker , I am using one of those cheap 50 gpd single stage RODI, for the same 4 years , never changed the membrane and my di resin has been yellow for over a year lol .. That being said , don't do what I do , I have been doing this for 30 years and take full responsibility for my tank and inhabitants. Not really sure how I have such amazing results, some have said its cause I have the OG Godzilla bacteria , and actual real live rock , and a DT with SAND ...... again , not the norm

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use H2Ocean and have from the start. I have had experience with other salts in other tanks, but find that H2Oceans suits my tank best. Not dosing as much and it's a natural salt. Dissolves quick, and decent price compared to what is available to me

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV because of contaminants and residue with others. Mixes so clean too and can tweak end result. Would also try another pharm grade option like Topic Marin. Params on standard mix are great for me.

40ozboys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket, Love them since its naturally harvested. Mixes fast and clean.

magic23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LiveAquaria salt, mixes fast, cheap to buy during sale. Been using for a year, just sent my water to Triton lab, according to them my water sample did not contain any trace elements. So it is a very plain salt, thinking to try a different salt.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salinity and reef crystals, mixed 50/50 as I can't get salinity anymore. Both leave a crusty residue and don't store at all without parameter swings, specifically alk. Does any salt actually store for more than a day or two in a mixing container? I've seen the best video, that's not what really happens with reef crystals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use salinity and reef crystals, mixed 50/50 as I can't get salinity anymore. Both leave a crusty residue and don't store at all without parameter swings, specifically alk. Does any salt actually store for more than a day or two in a mixing container? I've seen the best video, that's not what really happens with reef crystals.
Salinity is Very Good salt

Luca Borri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest reef salt: mix fast and clea, good parameters and in a good value for money. With 300 g of marine water and weekly changes the prices is important. With greater avalaibility of money i would use Dupla pr KZ salts

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chosen for: mixes to the right parameters.
But what may be the "right" parameters?
Most salt mixes are of good quality which means "price" setting may soften the yearly bill, certainly when a lot of water is changed.
My choice will be influenced by the sulphate content and the way the mix buffers the water.
Salt mixes available in Europe: https://reefhub.pl/test-of-marine-salts/

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using that Hot Salt. Switched to Tropic Marin Pro. Can’t wait to see what it does.

I've been using Instant Ocean for 20+ years and am now on my third bucket of TM Pro. I've noticed no difference at all and at more than twice the price, there just isn't upside for me. Well, I don't have to reduce the alkalinity so that's a plus (saves me a minute) but everything else is pretty much identical parameter wise. I may try one more bucket as it has only been two months since the change but I'm not expecting anything. Oh, polyps on my acroporas close up at the time of water change where that wasn't the case with the Instant Ocean but everything opens back up after approximately 20 minutes.

Edit: it does dissolve quicker, so could be a plus I suppose (I mix and store 50g at a time so no factor for me).

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO for literally decades but noticed last year a definite clumping issue. Brand new bag would be be basicly a couple big rock hard lumps and it doesn't disolve as fast or as completly as it used to. I've been trying Red Sea, Fritz, Oceanic and Corallife in conjunction with IO for over a year and half now and do not see the clumping problem with the other brands. I also haven't seen much difference in my tanks between brands either so it's whatever the LFS has cheapest.

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef salts are close to the same and then there are lower quality products also. However the only thing that really matters is consistency. There are no perfect parameters, just keep your tank at consistent parameters and you'll succeed

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My LFS promotes Salinity and has it in stock all the time.
I have never used it though. Curious as to why you can't get it anymore?

This is my proof and one of the reasons I use Tropic Marin Pro.
Just took these pictures today just for this thread.
Words in a forum are no proof of fact, see below.
I have had this 165 gallon storage tank in use for some 8 months now. I cleaned it out four months ago, so this is what it looks like after four months of use. This is the third 150G batch I have mixed since that cleaning.
I do not heat when mixing, or storing, as you can see no heator, I mix to 1.025, shop temp when mixed was around 73F and currently temp is 49F
I made this batch three weeks to a month ago.
I normally automatically stir the tank twice a day for 15 min 6am and 6pm for my peace of mind. However I am reworking the electrical and my pump has not been auto cycling since I mixed this batch.
Obviously I have not used any yet. You are looking through 50 inches of saltwater at a clean and clear tank.
I don't know if you can even tell there is saltwater in the last picture, but its there.
Your results might be different, but I like what TMP brings to the table.
Saltwater height.jpg
Saltwater height 2.jpg

Saltwater Storrage tank.jpg

Yes that little black spot in the middle is 4 months of debris build up.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even read through this thread ...thing is with few exception I find most brands adequate ... I use IO... and yes it mixes with water about as well as Crisco but it is cheap and doesn’t kill fish any faster than I do

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS promotes Salinity and has it in stock all the time.
I have never used it though. Curious as to why you can't get it anymore?

This is my proof and one of the reasons I use Tropic Marin Pro.
Just took these pictures today just for this thread.
Words in a forum are no proof of fact, see below.
I have had this 165 gallon storage tank in use for some 8 months now. I cleaned it out four months ago, so this is what it looks like after four months of use. This is the third 150G batch I have mixed since that cleaning.
I do not heat when mixing, or storing, as you can see no heator, I mix to 1.025, shop temp when mixed was around 73F and currently temp is 49F
I made this batch three weeks to a month ago.
I normally automatically stir the tank twice a day for 15 min 6am and 6pm for my peace of mind. However I am reworking the electrical and my pump has not been auto cycling since I mixed this batch.
Obviously I have not used any yet. You are looking through 50 inches of saltwater at a clean and clear tank.
I don't know if you can even tell there is saltwater in the last picture, but its there.
Your results might be different, but I like what TMP brings to the table.
Saltwater height.jpg
Saltwater height 2.jpg

Saltwater Storrage tank.jpg

Yes that little black spot in the middle is 4 months of debris build up.

FYI the blue RO tube is the pick up line for the ATO that is currently not in use.

Back