Let's get salty! What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use?

What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use? Mulitple choice available!

• Price

Votes: 289 41.2%
  • Brand Loyality

Votes: 84 12.0%
  • Mixes Easy

Votes: 232 33.1%
  • Mixes Clean

Votes: 270 38.5%
  • Mixes to the right parameters

Votes: 426 60.8%
  • Easy to get

Votes: 203 29.0%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 40 5.7%

• Total voters

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used almost every salt that is of at least decent quality... I come back to Tropic Marin everytime... It's just so consistent, mixes up fast & easily and is very "clean" compared to the other brands I've used.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked multiple:

mixes easy : so i can mix it up the same day, or even an hour before i need it.
mixes clean: i don't like dirty mixing buckets
mixes to the right parameters: near, or relatively close to NSW levels.

other: comes in 5 gallon pre-packaged bags.
i mix 5 gallons at a time, no measuring, no opening of buckets letting air and moisture in, and clumping up the rest.
the entire box stays fresh.

i used TMPR for a long time. it did everything apart from the 5 gallon pre-packaged sizes.

now i use Two little fishies Accurasea1, so far, so good.

J.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get salinity because I moved and no store within 6 hours of me sells it and seachem doesn't allow online sales of it, for some strange reason. I may try the HW brand if I can find it since it has good reviews or tropic Marin but it has some bad reviews

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get salinity because I moved and no store within 6 hours of me sells it and seachem doesn't allow online sales of it, for some strange reason. I may try the HW brand if I can find it since it has good reviews or tropic Marin but it has some bad reviews

Well that's a bummer.

Bulk Reef Supply has the HW in stock.

Every product has some bad reviews, including my favorite TMP.
The negative TMP reviews that I have read do not match my TMP experience.

Most are balking about the cost not a real review on the salt.
I don't value negative reviews based solely on the price point. Not saying cost is not a factor it is, but I want to know what the product can or can't do. Its up to me to determine if the cost is not worth it.

The next common negative review was low ALK, I have a feeling this may be more related to the individuals water or other water column parameters the individual has in their system that's effecting the overall ALK.
But I personally prefer the lower end of the spectrum. Why, because it is easy to increase by dosing. Easier to raise than lower. We all dose no mater the parameter of the salt mix right. Now if one is looking for a high ALK right off then, why are they buying TMP knowing out of the bucket its on the low end?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my ALK around 8 or so, which is what I get with salinity but it drops quick in the bucket. About 9 ALK when mixed with reef crystals which is fine but again I have to use it or lose it as it drops when stored a few days. I honestly don't care about price. Salinity was 99 for a 225 gallon bucket. I have smaller tanks and my reefer 350 that may never get started.

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea blue bucket. Started with coral pro because as a noob i didnt realize how alk really worked in a reef. I thought within a range was good but then learned you want it as stable as possible. so I switched.

Blue bucket mixes to decent parameters.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been almost 2 years since a water change correction I have never changed water. I'm not even sure what salt I started with.

do you have a link to a build thread, or tank log or maintenance / dosing schedule? i'm interested to see how you're making this work. i tried a no water change tank once, and i failed. would like to learn from folks who've been doing it successfully for long term.

cheers!
J.

Nate h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using IORC for several years. It is easy to get and just works. With a lps and softie tank at this time I’ll stick with it. When I upgrade I might try out of of the higher end salts

Loverman Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a rookie , but wouldn't it be nice if tropical marine had a mix closer to fritz perameters . The pro , AlK seems low & the classics , Calcium seems low ? Is it easy to bring the AlK up on the pro with just Kalkwasser ? Like I said , rookie . I like the idea of keeping parameters consistent with water changes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tropic marin

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Instant Ocean in the 75g since setup (little over three years) but switched to Tropic Marin Pro on September 15th of 2019. It has been almost exactly four months now and I've observed no difference at all. Outside of the higher alkalinity of Instant Ocean (which I reduce with muriatic acid), all other parameters have mixed up about identical. I'm going to give it two more months just so I give it a fair chance but at the time of writing this, I see absolutely no reason to spend the extra money on the Tropic Marin. At half the price and equal results, it makes the decision to stick with Instant Ocean really easy. If TM was only $5-10 more (meaning $45-50 for a box/bucket) I'd continue using it.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back