Let's reminisce-p-s! The very first one...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Acropora palmata is on the endangered species list, listed as threatened, so it is (hopefully) not being imported any longer, at least not legally.

My first sps was a really ugly green digi. Over the years, I have tried many methods of killing it but still it lives. At one point it even developed cool orange polyp centers, as I believe it may have borrowed some zoox from a neighboring m. setosa colony, but then it fell behind the rockscape where it resided in the dark until I found it months later, minus its cool orange friends and back to its original army green color.

Wow, Adam, not sure which acro is my fav from my last order. Really loving the sky parade, the GC acroberry and efflo, the blue humilis, shades of jaundice, marmalade n jade, and nilbog residence, and all the others. So glad I found Battlecorals!!!

Lol. Great post! May have to do an " ode to the digi" one of these days.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if this was my very first but it was one of the first that did well and grew. These first 2 are pics from 2003
Full tank

and then a new tank a few years later in 2006
A purple Milli haven't ever seen one like it since

What happens when elkhorn monti takes over

and one last shot

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have missed this right of passage, as far as acropora are concerned. I don't have a singular piece, I guess looking back I was a bit ambitious since I'd never kept acropora before, but I had been in the hobby for a few years and felt confident in my abilities. If we were to include all SPS however, then my first would've been a red monti cap that I purchased in 2013.

I started my SPS tank back in October, but before I was able to get it wet, my brother decided to take a break from the hobby and sell out. He had quite a few SPS colonies, and before he sold any of them I told him he had to make me a frag pack. Most of the pieces he had in his possession were wild/maricultured pieces, and he hadn't colored all of them up to their full potential as he only had them for a few months. I told him I wanted to use them as test frags and hopefully give us both a chance to see how they color up.

This is a picture of (most) of the frags from last October,
22153742251_82fd6ff7da_o.png

Well me being overly ambitious, I had a mini tank crash and things haven't been easy. Though despite having a tank crash whilst fighting dinos back in January (the dinos started back in November), I've only lost one of the original pieces introduced to my system; though I still have one piece that's barely hanging on, hopefully it'll recover.

Here's some of the original additions today, recovery has taken a while and things still aren't where they should be, however growth is finally picking up and color is still coming in. Some pieces are doing much better than others, but for the most part they're all doing well.

25774060054_2138a7042e_o.png
25980713853_cee2904b6e_o.png
26286549512_87b4fa7a74_o.png
26310542950_90cc7b107b_o.png
26737457445_c6a93d877e_o.png

26133617553_91c5c5b838_o.png
25980713573_4348f2cc13_o.png
26133618573_bd6bdf3668_o.png
25980712703_a45a4ee0df_o.png
26133615503_987b6f2527_o.png

Last edited:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first salt tank was in 1970 I think. It had fake corals, not real corals. Stand was wrought iron, filter was an undergravel with wooden airstones and little giant air pump. You can't believe the amount of salt creep. Lighting was a fluorescent shop light. Water was made with IO and tap water with dechlorinate. And Adam, your old timer was right, you could buy baby sea turtles. They had them at my lfs.

My first reef tank was in 2000 I think, compact fluorescent was pretty new to the scene. My first acro I didn't kill in a short period of time didn't happen until I got serious about stable parameters and water changes with my nanocube. It was an orange digi. It didn't flourish but it didn't croak either. I've only been what I consider successful with acros until 2+ yrs ago. Fun thread Adam

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Adam. You're my Mr. Miyagi! The first pic is the table that took forever to color up. Wax on, wax off

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I seem to have missed this right of passage, as far as acropora are concerned. I don't have a singular piece, I guess looking back I was a bit ambitious since I'd never kept acropora before, but I had been in the hobby for a few years and felt confident in my abilities. If we were to include all SPS however, then my first would've been a red monti cap that I purchased in 2013.

I started my SPS tank back in October, but before I was able to get it wet, my brother decided to take a break from the hobby and sell out. He had quite a few SPS colonies, and before he sold any of them I told him he had to make me a frag pack. Most of the pieces he had in his possession were wild/maricultured pieces, and he hadn't colored all of them up to their full potential as he only had them for a few months. I told him I wanted to use them as test frags and hopefully give us both a chance to see how they color up.

This is a picture of (most) of the frags from last October,
22153742251_82fd6ff7da_o.png

Well me being overly ambitious, I had a mini tank crash and things haven't been easy. Though despite having a tank crash whilst fighting dinos back in January (the dinos started back in November), I've only lost one of the original pieces introduced to my system; though I still have one piece that's barely hanging on, hopefully it'll recover.

Here's some of the original additions today, recovery has taken a while and things still aren't where they should be, however growth is finally picking up and color is still coming in. Some pieces are doing much better than others, but for the most part they're all doing well.

25774060054_2138a7042e_o.png
25980713853_cee2904b6e_o.png
26286549512_87b4fa7a74_o.png
26310542950_90cc7b107b_o.png
26737457445_c6a93d877e_o.png

26133617553_91c5c5b838_o.png
25980713573_4348f2cc13_o.png
26133618573_bd6bdf3668_o.png
25980712703_a45a4ee0df_o.png
26133615503_987b6f2527_o.png

Great post man and really good looking pics that pink lemonade looks amazing. color in these pics looks really clean and natural. Really sorry to hear about the crash though:(

Last edited:

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would add some more pictures from 2006-7, sadly my tank is nowhere near as nice now, one move and several crashes later. I swear the water in my new place is much worse went from using tap with no alagae problems to RO/DI and fighting it all the time in all my tanks.

A closer view of the purple milli

and my favorite milli I have ever had

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post man and really good looking pics that pink lemonade looks amazing. color in these pics looks really clean and natural. Really sorry to hear about the crash though:(

Appreciate it Adam, fortunately it's only been a setback and a test of my patience (I wish I had more :p).

I still have 4 out of 5 of the acros I received from you as well, in fact one of them is really taking off nicely in growth. I lost the yellow, it's gone more green now, but it's doubled in size since the last photo. This was one of your "wilds", now dubbed the BC Ultimate Table.

26553829122_d9d5f89a32_o.png

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Appreciate it Adam, fortunately it's only been a setback and a test of my patience (I wish I had more :p).

I still have 4 out of 5 of the acros I received from you as well, in fact one of them is really taking off nicely in growth. I lost the yellow, it's gone more green now, but it's doubled in size since the last photo. This was one of your "wilds", now dubbed the BC Ultimate Table.

Nice man that is coming around for sure,. blast it even harder and you'll pull that white/yellow back out for sure. Ive got a piece frying under leds and another under iwasakis and its there. Thanks for posting though growth looks really good i'd say.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Figured I would add some more pictures from 2006-7, sadly my tank is nowhere near as nice now, one move and several crashes later. I swear the water in my new place is much worse went from using tap with no alagae problems to RO/DI and fighting it all the time in all my tanks.

A closer view of the purple milli

and my favorite milli I have ever had

Looks awesome man. Blue with green polyp reminds me of the T- storm milli that Ryan P had growing a number of years ago

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Your stuff is really coming along man looks outstanding!

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll play. First SPS was the purple nana in my 40B TOTM that dominated the middle of the tank. I got it in 1999 as dying brown encrustation on some second hand live rock when I set up the tank. Needless to say it recovered.

nana_1.jpg

Just to the right of the scrolling Montipora in the middle (which along with the pink millepora above it and the blue tip tenuis below it were the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th SPS I acquired, from Harbor Aquatics in Indiana).
tankleft.jpg

Those were the good old days...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll play. First SPS was the purple nana in my 40B TOTM that dominated the middle of the tank. I got it in 1999 as dying brown encrustation on some second hand live rock when I set up the tank. Needless to say it recovered.

nana_1.jpg

Just to the right of the scrolling Montipora in the middle (which along with the pink millepora above it and the blue tip tenuis below it were the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th SPS I acquired, from Harbor Aquatics in Indiana).
tankleft.jpg

Those were the good old days...

Must have been something leaching from that trash can fuge that old school Sps can't get enough of lol!

Amazing post Tim. Thanks for that one

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share my story even though it's not much..
I started a nano-reef mid 2015. 10 gallon Innovative Marine.
I started with some cheap zoas and mushrooms. I would constantly be on the forums learning more about how to keep a successful reef tank. Eventually I had a small collection of zoanthids.

In the beginning, I saw acros at the LFS and thought "meh.." they're not flowy enough.. I wanted things like euphyllia, zoas, anything that would move with the current.
After being on R2R for awhile. I started to see pictures of the more colorful acros and I thought "alright.. these are starting to grow on me"

First piece I tried was an ORA Red Planet. It was a small 1" frag with nice color.
I had to test it out in my nano because I've heard about how SPS HATE parameter swings.
Not gonna lie, the Red Planet suffered a bit in the nano but it hasn't completely died. It turned a dark red color throughout.

I still have it to this day and now it's sitting in a 80g system with all the bells and whistles.. Deltec skimmer of course :)
The new system has been up for about 5 months now and I can happily say the ORA Red Planet has recovered, is showing growth and beginning to color back up. The base is showing green in some areas and the red is turning a lighter shade.

Now I'm completely addicted to SPS and have a few nice pieces (ASD Rainbow Mille, TCK Pikachu, Pink Floyd...) but still none from Adam. That'll definitely change soon!
I'm still learning and hope to have a nice successful mixed reef. Also, the collector in me doesn't help with the SPS addiction.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This baby came to me as a hitch-hiker 4 years ago, with a very large psammocorra colony. I noticed a 1" piece of what I thought was brown encrusted monti, it was just sitting there. I initially thought that I should scrape it off because it was killing the base of my psammy, but because I am lazy I left it where it was. It stayed that way for another year, just encrusting a little bit more and changing its color to green. After I got into the hobby a little more, I purchased a BM doser, and within two weeks this baby started growing like a wildfire. Totally lives up to its name .
IMG_0139.JPG

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never should have gotten rid of the magic trash can fuge!

right! that tank clearly defied all odds by any standard then or now!

would love to hear more stories! please feel free to share anyone! let's here more about your early days.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back