Let's ROCK! What type of rock do you have in your reef tank and do you love it?

How much do you like liverock in your tank? Not the aquascape, but the rock itself!

• Love it and wouldn't change it

Votes: 356 61.8%
  • Like it ok but would try something different

Votes: 169 29.3%
  • Don't like it at all

Votes: 31 5.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.5%

• Total voters

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry purple rock is my favorite! nice to see many other rocks out there and seeing options as well!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my main display, it’s Tonga/Fiji rock since 1995, when it was exported. This rock has never dried, and still doing what it’s supposed to.

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 1/2 years most of that coating is actually gone. I keep hoping one day I'll wake up to see something growing on them other than algae. :)
Have you tried some rock covered in coralline to spread. In a full year and only just starting to get some coralline growth. There is something off about the rock.

Wil__Mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. What type of rock do you have in your reef tank?

I use CaribSea LifeRock

2. What do you like or dislike about it?

I like that it comes pest-free and is painted to look like it has coraline algae on it. I also like that it has no impact on the world's reefs. It's also much cheaper than Real Reef Rock.

IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0243.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_160900437.jpg
    IMG_20210416_160900437.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 24

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently all I use is dry rock for me to seed. I don't like the Florida version of live rock. But, in my previous tanks, I used all Walt Smith Fiji Live Rock. Now that was LIVE ROCK! Pics from 2005.
DCP_2567.JPG
DCP_2568.JPG
DCP_2571.JPG
Yeah that Walt Smith live rock is EPIC!! I want to order some but the min. order qty./poundage is crazy high cost around $400 and up for rock.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that Walt Smith live rock is EPIC!! I want to order some but the min. order qty./poundage is crazy high cost around $400 and up for rock.
I didn't even know you can still get it. When Fiji shut down years ago, I assumed that included all the live rock as well. I just saw that they are now placing rock and harvesting the (cultured) rock. Glad to see it's still available...at a price.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pukani but I found it has a ton of nutrients inside and definitely needs to be pre cycled for a while or you will have a lot of problems with a new tank

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have my original Fiji Live rock that I bought 20 years ago. I love them! I downsized from my 120 gallon to a 35 gallon 11 years ago I sold off much of it and kept just 6 of my favorite shaped pieces for my current tank.

CFDB1396-B22F-4C46-ABF7-0B6ADAE241EF.jpeg

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncured Marshall Islands. Love it and wouldn't change it. I wish I could still get more. After ~1 month of truly disgusting decay the most amazing diversity of organisms sprang to life. Crabs, clams, buttons, Jellyfish(!), carpets of copepods and amphipods, macroalgaes, tunicates, sponges, tubeworms, I could go on and on. Purple, purple, purple. Absolutely nothing noxious.

reefer fro canada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock but aged it for four months in a plastic garbage can with no light just heater and a power head.Added all kinds of bacteria and when I put it in my tank readings were stable no peakes.I would use this again but it takes a lot of patience.I would rather leave the live rock in the ocean.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock but aged it for four months in a plastic garbage can with no light just heater and a power head.Added all kinds of bacteria and when I put it in my tank readings were stable no peakes.I would use this again but it takes a lot of patience.I would rather leave the live rock in the ocean.
That's why I used LifeRock by CaribSea. Didn't have to wait, didn't have to hurt the environment, and no pests.

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's rock and roll! :p
Sub Pop Yes GIF by Sub Pop Records

No really, let's talk about ROCK! More specifically the rock we have in our saltwater reef aquariums that make up our beautiful aquascapes!

1. What type of rock do you have in your reef tank?

2. What do you like or dislike about it?
(NOT YOUR AQUASCAPE but the actual rock)

You get a BIG THUMBS UP for sharing a photo of your ROCK!

Real-Reef-Live-Rock-10-lbs-99.jpg
Caribsea life rock, and after one of the easiest tank set up using this rock. I don’t think I’ll ever use anything else again.

Attachments

• 623091C1-3F08-46AF-AD32-2D4606DC232B.jpeg
    623091C1-3F08-46AF-AD32-2D4606DC232B.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 23

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heater in a garbage bag? Was it in a tub of some sort?

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said "other", because while I love my rock, I would be willing to try something different.

In 2016 after a six year hiatus triggered by a cross country move, I started my current tank with 50# of Fiji and 50# of Pukani Dry Rock from BRS (both no longer available) in 2017. I was looking for No Pests! I started my previous LPS & Softie tank in 2000 and ran it for ten years with Live Rock. I had some pests; mostly bristle worms (which I now have again), Vermitid Snails, and Bubble Algae.

In 2016 Dry Rock was all the rage. I cycled it with Red Sea NOPOX to the the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate zeroed and lowered. I had heard about the issues with Dry Rock possibly leeching PO4, so I ran GFO 24/7. The tank was almost looking good at about 12 months when my NO3 and PO4 bottomed out at 0.0 or near unreadable. Looking back, I had all the Dry Rock issues. Brown Phase, Slime Phase, Cyano, Dinos, too many SPS mortalities to count. Finally, almost four and a half years in, I can say my tank is in a good spot. LPS, Soft Corals and Zoas did well, but in the last 6-8 months I've dialed in the lighting and water chemistry and have good SPS growth as well.

I skipped the Fiji Rock. The Pukani Rock looks great, has great shape, and locks together well. It's completely coraline encusted. I have a good variety of shapes and sizes including a nice, big shelf rock, thought it is a bit of the "Rock Wall" leaning right. I also run a Brightwell BioBrick in my sump.

Now that it's "Live", I would use it again or get some clean Live Rock to seed Dry Rock; at least 30%. It seems that there are new techniques, additives, and other things to do than throw Dry Rock in a tank and let it cycle.

Bottom Line: Love my rock. I would use it again but... I would definitely get some Live Rock in with it, and I would never run a separate GFO reactor 24/7.
20210404_165451.jpg

Back