Let's say you wanted an aiptasia farm...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO I'M NOT GOING TO BE RAISING AND SELLING Berghia Nudis! Just thought the question could be fun!

Let's say you wanted an aiptasia farm...

What would your set up look like and what would you do to grow thew most?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remember to upvote the best answers! :p

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water, sand, rock. Maybe a demon-conjuror. Doesn’t even need to be saltwater lol.

Seriously, I’d do whatever you would need for any coral or anemone (feeding, proper flow, lighting etc.) and you would see lots of growth. Evidently they survive cycles, so it shouldn’t be that hard. But I’d rather majano, at least that’s colorful...

Upvote 0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank, light, power head, and a heater if you up north. Add a few aiptasia, use a toothbrush on them, insta outbreak of hundreds!

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already grow majanos because they are pretty. I paid a pretty penny to get these guys… hard to find when you actually want them! They like food!

Hoping to eventually find the purple variety.

5DE45BD5-DF28-4C64-9A43-A87DDA9BF71C.jpeg

Upvote 7

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already grow majanos because they are pretty. I paid a pretty penny to get these guys… hard to find when you actually want them! They like food!

Hoping to eventually find the purple variety.

5DE45BD5-DF28-4C64-9A43-A87DDA9BF71C.jpeg
Meanwhile, in Wisconsin...

Upvote 0

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add them when I take an Aiptasia out to feed the nudibranch tank I cut 2 Aiptasia in the tank in half. And if ONE egg from the nudibranch makes it into the tank, the entire population will be decimated VERY quickly and you'll find HUGE Berghia in there.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they spread much or are they isolated?
they split and can move but don’t do so too much. They don’t seem to just pop up at random on the other side of the tank like Aiptasia. They seem to repopulate more like a traditional nem.

There is a member in nano reef who keeps a Aiptasia tank. Literally a tank dedicated to them.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are Aiptasia like the weeds in your yard that grow out of control until you decide you like one particular one and then try to go it...then you realize that it is harder to grow than you thought?!? Aiptasia grows when we overfeed our reef tanks, so it would imply that if you are trying to grow aiptasia then that tank should be overfed, but how much is too much? How would you set up the filtration to pull out enough, but not too much? Is there a way to measure what would be the "best" parameters for growing Aiptasia?

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure where ever the tank is it is miles from any other reef systems. Otherwise, you will have to answer to any nearby reefer.
Also, try not to sell your frags, just give them away. That way you can make sure if your system fails, you have others to recolonize your system.

Upvote 0

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Aiptasia like the weeds in your yard that grow out of control until you decide you like one particular one and then try to go it...then you realize that it is harder to grow than you thought?!? Aiptasia grows when we overfeed our reef tanks, so it would imply that if you are trying to grow aiptasia then that tank should be overfed, but how much is too much? How would you set up the filtration to pull out enough, but not too much? Is there a way to measure what would be the "best" parameters for growing Aiptasia?
They're photosynthetic as well. You don't have to overfeed to have an outbreak.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back