Let's say you wanted an aiptasia farm...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO I'M NOT GOING TO BE RAISING AND SELLING Berghia Nudis! Just thought the question could be fun!

What would your set up look like and what would you do to grow thew most?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Aiptasia Farming was a thing....
I'd win the STATE FAIR Blue Ribbon every year.

They may even rename the Event after me.

blue-ribbon-001.jpg

Upvote 1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1623976379077.png

Upvote 0

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tank with HOB filter and heater. I feed them Reef Chilli and baby brine shrimp. I call this the "Nightmare Fuel Tank":

IMG_3225.jpeg
Jeez, I joke about my 13.5 fluval being a tank of doom since it's stocked with xenia, gsp, Kenya tree and yellow polyps but you really took it up a notch....

Upvote 0

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I already have one.
2021061721141066--207452901824208462-IMG_3715-L.jpg

Why would I want another?
2 x 165 watts over a 29 gallon tank and a few pellets now and then. Works really well for ulva too.
See any in here?
IMG_3701-X2.jpg

Go file fish.

How about here
IMG_3627-X2.jpg

Go Copper Banded Butterfly

Pests need love too
IMG_3694-L.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO I'M NOT GOING TO BE RAISING AND SELLING Berghia Nudis! Just thought the question could be fun!

What would your set up look like and what would you do to grow thew most?
A popular guy we know from down here in Miami was recently looking for lots of aptasias to feed Berghia Nudis, lol! That’s the only thing they eat otherwise they starve.
I would say a conventional reef ready tank. Cheap lighting. And cross the tank baffles made of eggcrate, they love eggcrate especially under frag plugs! Feed, and feed some more, nitrates and phosphates won’t bother, although you don’t want the algae to smother!
Then raise the Berghia and open up an offer to sell the Berghia and payback 50% value if returned after they clean the clients tank.

Upvote 0

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally have. 15 gallon covered. I want to order a few nudi and start a farm. Every ones in a while I’ll stick my hand in there and torment the entire lot to try and produce more.

I should use my time else where haha.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder what the possibilities would be to copy some of the ideas from hydroponics and vertical farming and have a submerged rack system for growing Aiptasia!

200.gif

Aiptasia farmers unite!!!

Upvote 1

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What would your set up look like and what would you do to grow the most?
I'd start with a 12' long 18" X 30" reef flat tank with all the bells and whistles. Best lighting for Aiptasia? I don't know but it would have to be expensive. Lots of water flow, ATO, fully automated especially to add drift food every couple of hours. Then I'd buy a nice rock of them from some poor soul that was giving up and tearing down their tank because it was overrun with them. I would mix that seed in with Fresh Gulf Live Rock, crank up the lights and wait for them to blossom.

I'm not sure this would work when I think about it. Everything else I've ever tried to grow crashed. I suspect the Aiptasia would also die inside a week if I was trying to get them to explode?
Good Morning Smile GIF by DreamWorks Animation

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d go to the bad cheap section at my lfs and get aiptasia covered zoos. I’d feed daily

Interesting thought and please bear with me while I try to follow the idea. As I think this through, I have a serious question - wouldn't this approach be prone to also introduce other unwanted pests that may be problematic in an aiptasia farm? Is there such a thing as "clean aiptasia" and would it matter? If someone were to get aiptasia to feed their nudibranchs would "pest-free" aiptasia be important?

Upvote 0

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fail proof plan for establishing an aiptasia farm:
1. Set up a saltwater tank
2. Wait
Poof! Success guaranteed! Hahaha!
This is not as easy as you might think. And the more nudibranch you have to more difficult this task becomes. They are not as tough as everyone thinks they are.

Upvote 0

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find greatest success by seeing one and disturbing it by poking at it with a stick. seems the more you bug them, the more they reproduce.. also, let the tank go, dont do water changes, just top off. Lots of slimey red algae helps. Feed the tank a lot or sparingly but the secret is ticking them off. they respond by reproducing.. Aiptasia X, pokey sticks, try and suck them out with a siphon, anything. more threatened and mad they get, the more they create offspring to make you poke them more.. I have a 40B getting close to wall to wall with this method. cant wait for the day I drain this tank.. and bake it in the sun.. then refill it and have a monster crawling out to eat me.

Upvote 0

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought and please bear with me while I try to follow the idea. As I think this through, I have a serious question - wouldn't this approach be prone to also introduce other unwanted pests that may be problematic in an aiptasia farm? Is there such a thing as "clean aiptasia" and would it matter? If someone were to get aiptasia to feed their nudibranchs would "pest-free" aiptasia be important?
Is this an attempt at logic humor?

Upvote 0
Back