Lets see those CLAM photos! Clams that you have, had, or even photographed.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is probably a dead thread but I have a question for you clam lovers, I have a Red Sea Max Nano (20g), I would love a clam but don’t know if it could work. I have a 4’x2’x2’ tank but it has a Jade wrasse, radiant wrasse and a CBB so I feel like it would be preyed on. Is it possible to have SPS Mushrooms (R. yuma & florida, a blue discasoma) and two LPS in with the clam??
Also what would be better suited for a tank? I’d assume crocea but wanted your thoughts first.

Also the water and rocks in this tank are 2 years old (Live). The tank is 1 year old but the water and rocks are 2 years old, will this make any difference or not?
My lights are set on white so I’d prefer something that looked more natural and didnt have quite “At you” colours (I do quite like the blues in Croceas and that looks natural which is why if possible I’d rather go for T. crocea).

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse would eventually bother / eat clams. I suggest a Squamosa or Derasa, they are the easiest clams to take care of.

You can have a clam in a smaller tank.. Just know that clams can get big. Here is a pic of some Maxima clams in my tank.

E70AD622-891D-4F37-92DE-E21E6CE57F71.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse would eventually bother / eat clams. I suggest a Squamosa or Derasa, they are the easiest clams to take care of.

You can have a clam in a smaller tank.. Just know that clams can get big. Here is a pic of some Maxima clams in my tank.

E70AD622-891D-4F37-92DE-E21E6CE57F71.png
Yeah, the 4’ isn’t suitable for a clam (Which is why I would rather have a small clam). My Nano has 3 wrasses, two are temporary (Blue Star Leopard, Naoko Fairy and a Pink streak), none of them bother coral or inverts but do hunt for pods.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this is probably a dead thread but I have a question for you clam lovers, I have a Red Sea Max Nano (20g), I would love a clam but don’t know if it could work. I have a 4’x2’x2’ tank but it has a Jade wrasse, radiant wrasse and a CBB so I feel like it would be preyed on. Is it possible to have SPS Mushrooms (R. yuma & florida, a blue discasoma) and two LPS in with the clam??
Also what would be better suited for a tank? I’d assume crocea but wanted your thoughts first.

Also the water and rocks in this tank are 2 years old (Live). The tank is 1 year old but the water and rocks are 2 years old, will this make any difference or not?
My lights are set on white so I’d prefer something that looked more natural and didnt have quite “At you” colours (I do quite like the blues in Croceas and that looks natural which is why if possible I’d rather go for T. crocea).
20g is perfect. T. maxima high in the rocks with daylight spectrum and you're good to go. T. crocea will work too, but make sure you give it a nice placement in the rock so it can bore into it and feed it all the light you can. Top down view is always best with clams, so enjoy!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g is perfect. T. maxima high in the rocks with daylight spectrum and you're good to go. T. crocea will work too, but make sure you give it a nice placement in the rock so it can bore into it and feed it all the light you can. Top down view is always best with clams, so enjoy!
How quickly do the two species grow?? Also how big do you expect them to get in captivity?? Is it the full 14-16 inches that T. maxima gets in the wild and 6 inch that T. crocea gets? I don’t mind 6 inch but 14-16 inch seems huge if they’re fast growing.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How quickly do the two species grow?? Also how big do you expect them to get in captivity?? Is it the full 14-16 inches that T. maxima gets in the wild and 6 inch that T. crocea gets? I don’t mind 6 inch but 14-16 inch seems huge if they’re fast growing.
Crocea is the slowest Tridacna and maxima is right behind on growth. The key with both is giving them a secure rock to attach to and bore in. And lots of light.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do yourself a favor and buy James Fatherree's book on clams. You can pick it up on Amazon used for around $20 or so. There's a wealth of information in that book. Daniel Knop's book is great, but older.
Will do!! Thanks for the help - I’ve never really thought about a clam till recently :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are truly awesome animals! I love 'em!
So do I, hopefully a 3’ tank would be enough for a maxima since I don’t think I’d be able to get much bigger (and that’s within a few years)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So do I, hopefully a 3’ tank would be enough for a maxima since I don’t think I’d be able to get much bigger (and that’s within a few years)
You’ll be fine with that size. I’ll be keeping crocea and maxima in a 10g shallow mangrove tank. I’m in the process of building the nano setup now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back