Lets see those corals on your back glass or overflows.

Do you grow corals on your back glass?

• Not on purpose.

Votes: 229 37.7%
  • Yes, for Aquascaping.

Votes: 178 29.3%
  • No, scrape the back clean.

Votes: 200 32.9%

• Total voters

TheSeaAndMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate how foreign and out of place overflows always look so I cover them with coral rubble, dead coral and shells and stuff we collect at the beach and it makes it easy to mount and grow all sorts of coral. I also never scrape the back glass, once it gets a nice layer of corraline pretty much anything can stick to it with a little dab of glue. Sorry for the crappy pics, I suck at taking pics of my tanks.. Which is a shame.

View attachment 20180811_153727.jpg

TheSeaAndMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually missing quite a few things on the overflow at the moment as I'm battling Montipora eating nudis and have all my montis (other than the Digi which these don't seem to care for) in QT

20180811_153708.jpg

TheSeaAndMe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palys love the back glass as long as there's ample corraline to hold onto

20180811_153737.jpg

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome photos! Here’s my purple-polyped Monti attached to and growing up the overflow box (by design). I love covering the back wall and box with coral.
Ya thats awesome, I might do that my self.

Thanks to all for their cool pics!
BC9906FE-44F7-4DFD-BFAD-DD4BAC25D9F0.jpeg

Dan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get my coral growing on my glass surrounding my overflow (as you can see through it and see the pipes inside there!), however I am worried about doing my water changes.....When I do my water changes, my water level in the display tank drops by a good few inches. Exposing the coral that is high up on the glass to air for a period of time whilst changing and cleaning would surely do damage.....What are people's thoughts on this?

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get my coral growing on my glass surrounding my overflow (as you can see through it and see the pipes inside there!), however I am worried about doing my water changes.....When I do my water changes, my water level in the display tank drops by a good few inches. Exposing the coral that is high up on the glass to air for a period of time whilst changing and cleaning would surely do damage.....What are people's thoughts on this?

Depends what it is, i've had GSP out of water for at least an hour before and its been fine.

pscheel2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it if it's for a short period. You can also do water changes from the sump, if you have one, to avoid this.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find this thread on the Intertidal Zone interesting...

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow polyps on back glass. Right side up high - behind the rotating powerhead.
IMG_3034.jpg

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to go with Monti Caps on my corner overflows, mid level. My overflows don't have center drains just surface skimmers. And I'm entertaining the Idea Zoa's on the upper back glass however I need to use a species that tolerates high light.

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually missing quite a few things on the overflow at the moment as I'm battling Montipora eating nudis and have all my montis (other than the Digi which these don't seem to care for) in QT

20180811_153708.jpg
Is that a elwgance in the middle

Jay1661

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys had to to a tear down of your tank for let’s say moving purposes. What would you do with your corals on the glass/over flow?
Just try and salvage as much as you can?

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice corals pictured above! :) Here's a Povona cactus on an overflow.
Resized_20180319_170805_5399.jpeg

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay1661 It's kinda going to depend on the species and how it's grown. I've been succesfull with montiporas and GSP draping a towel soaked in aquarium water and dribbling more water over it as it starts to dry out. Anything branching probably is going to have significant breakage using a towel but the base might be ok. The various seratopora species (aka Birdsnests) are so sensitive to air I doubt that technique would work.

OP
OP
ScubaShane

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought my back panel was a good place for the space invader. I also have orange and grafted cap, and I’m even growing green star polyps on my loc-line. When you run out of place on the rocks, and the sand bed, you get creative.

DC017028-65C4-4FF2-BE74-EF573CCBC44C.jpeg

4AA305C6-DA19-4A0B-9C48-87B86FCC0446.jpeg

52828AC4-CF11-4F2C-81A2-00B385A3724C.jpeg
I like the way that cap is growing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back