lets see those leathers especially the neon sinularia

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it worked. By the way, dont' get discouraged if your first pic comes up bad, its a bug in the forum software. Just edit it, and re-paste the link, and save. :)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it worked. By the way, dont' get discouraged if your first pic comes up bad, its a bug in the forum software. Just edit it, and re-paste the link, and save. :)
One thing I've noticed that seems to bypass the error is if you type something prior to the first image, or just leave a blank line by hitting enter.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here goes....
this was the 6+ months old. is it a sinulara?
DSCN0452.jpg

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey macon,
considering the sinulara pictures are 6 months old, does that look like normal growth?

Sure. It doesn't look abnormal at all to me.

Keep in mind that, even amongst leathers, growth rates can be dramatically different.

I have a neon mumps that is one very odd critter. I have had him/her for years. It has never grown a bit. In fact, it will stay "in" for months. It might come "out" for a few days, then goes right back "in." Further, it seems to hate light. And, I'm talking to a ridiculous extreme. This thing honestly appears to REALLY HATE light. So, what this means to me is that there are just some of these guys that can be really strange.

I think I mentioned the cute little Stereonephthea here before. This little one (and I mean LITTLE) is out-and-about every day. But, it simply will not grow...not one single bit.

Others, I have to cut and give away parts of them away frequently. They will grow "right out of the tank" if left alone.

So, given these ranges, I would say that your growth rate is certainly not abnormal. And, given my experience, I would say it looks pretty typical.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I really didn't want to do this, but here goes.

I love this thread. It is my favorite, at the moment. (Yes, I admit it. I am enjoying it even more than the Corallimorph threads.) So, I figure I should contribute at least something.

The reason I hate to do this is because I recently took my 125g down, in preparation for a move (I may be moving...not a tank move.) So, it kind of hurts to look at pictures of it. It was my baby. I still have all the leathers, but have had to cut them back to frag sizes, in order to transport them all when necessary. They are doing well, but they are pathetically small. The only good news is that I will be building a 10-12ft. tank (for a Naso) in the future. All of the leathers will be going in that tank (I can't wait for the day.).

Unfortunately, I could never get a FTS. I live in a tiny apartment, and could never get far enough away from the tank to get the whole thing in a single picture.

This is the closest thing there is to a FTS. I will not apologize for the algae. There was a blind Sohal living in this tank, and the algae was one of the only things she could "find" to eat. She was fed lots of Nori, and did very, very well for having been blind. (Please, keep in mind, that a 125g is too small for a Sohal. The only reason I felt comfortable with her being in this tank was that she was blind. Again, she did really well. The only times she had troubles was when I moved any of the furniture around. Then, it was BUMP! OUCH! BUMP! OUCH! So, we kept rearranging things to a minimum.)

All of what is pictured here are leathers (except the big porites in the middle).

Hopefully we have learned how to copy/paste in a better way today. We are about to find out.
Porites.jpg

I will try to find some "mug shots."

Last edited:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was taken before the "great leather invasion." Note Adalia (the blind Sohal), and the coral there is actually a Colt (Cladiella).
Picture463.jpg

Random mugshot???????????
img--0010.jpg

Last edited:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarafina. Every night she would swim into the current created by a Vortech, which is what she is doing here.
Picture460.jpg

No more mug shots on Photobucket yet. I'll have to go through some folders.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is a sohal? that last pic looks like a lionfish..

well when u finish your move it'll be fun building a new tank..

Ah, sorry about that. A Sohal is a Tang. (The striped fish in the photo.)

Sarafina is indeed a Dwarf Lionfish. She now lives with a friend of mine.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there is funny news. I set out to contribute something. I am so horrible at photography, that I can only contribute horrible pictures and embarrass myself.

Oh, well. Consider it an exercise in humility.

Picture209.jpg

Picture225.jpg

This is the light-hating neon mumps. Obviously, hating life (too much light, annoying shrimp).
Picture230.jpg

The arrival of the Palau Nephthea. Again, not the most attractive of the leathers. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Picture318-1.jpg

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang Police, Gather Around.

SERIOUSLY, THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NOT NORMALLY SEE!!!!!!!!!!!

A Sohal should NEVER be put with other Tangs. Someone usually dies, if you put a Sohal with other Tangs. And, it's not generally the Sohal.

The only reason this picture is allowed to exist is that the Sohal was blind, and could not "find" the other Tang. I assure you, though, the Sohal could smell the other Tang.
Picture481.jpg

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I was all proud that I had so many pictures to go through to share. I now realize that I have so many because I made so many attempts, but kept failing.

This is going to be some work to even locate a few that are presentable. Sorry, I'll continue tomorrow.

Enjoy looking cross-eyed at the two tangs together, in the meantime.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems here... just run plenty of carbon

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool leathers guys. Anyone ever have issues with their toxins affecting SPS?

I didnt have too much of an issue when i had my leather but it was just growing too big too fast...my friend has it in his tank (bigger than mine) and is growing some montis and other SPS with no problems either.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back