0   0   0
DSC_0258 (1024x714).jpg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, lovely leathers you all have there.
I have a query with regards to the toxins they release.
My issue is I have a 4 year old 7 gallon tank with 2 clowns and loads of hammer corals, a couple mushrooms and a neon green sinularia. The water levels have been stable at:
Alk 8.2
Calcium 415
Mag 1320
Nitrate 10
Phosphates around 0.03 (salifert)
Ph 8
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
My problem is the hammers have been bailing heads to the fact I'm down to about 4 heads.
I was wandering of the leathers/mushrooms could be releasing toxins and stressing the hammers?
Screenshot_20200502-115807_Gallery.jpg
this was it before more heads started to go. I have now cut out all the dead corals and placed a toadstool in there now.
Screenshot_20200502-120314_Gallery.jpg
this is after the remodel. I'll post a pic later when everything is open if it all opens today that is. The sinularia has been in there for nearly 2 years.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sinularia does have a tendency to kill lps corals. FME, I was never successful with lps within a foot of the sinularia no matter the flow. This was not immediately, but as it got larger. I tried many different lps and never worked. Always ended up in qt to recover. I did try on other side of tank and did okay, until I added gorg. Different story.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I have a large sinularia along with several extra large toad stools right next to many euphyllia and not far from SPS and I have never seen any issue.

I have a little carbon in a bag in the sump but I rarely change it. Maybe every few months. I do run UV at night.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sinularia does have a tendency to kill lps corals. FME, I was never successful with lps within a foot of the sinularia no matter the flow. This was not immediately, but as it got larger. I tried many different lps and never worked. Always ended up in qt to recover. I did try on other side of tank and did okay, until I added gorg. Different story.
Cheers so in a 7 gallon tank I'd say I'm asking for trouble then.

Hallzers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK these aren't my leathers, but I just love 'em.

I have had such a hard time finding these that I've finally decided that after the shipments are back to normal I'm going to just have a few colonies imported through my LFS. I'm hoping to find a few reefers/growers that would like to go in with me so we can split it up, share the costs a little, and get some better quality leathers that are not typically imported.

PM me your info if you want one and I'll put you on the list

South Africa new soft coral.png  Yellow sinularia.jpg yellow soft-coral-koh-tachai, similan islands.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back