Let's see your ATO RODI Reservoir ideas!

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 180 (see build thread in my signature). Total water volume will end up being around 300 gallons. I am pretty sure my 5 gallon clear camping water jug isn't going to cut it o_O

I am plumbing the sump to the basement, so I have a lot of flexibility! Can't wait to see what you do!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a new 180 (see build thread in my signature). Total water volume will end up being around 300 gallons. I am pretty sure my 5 gallon clear camping water jug isn't going to cut it o_O

I am plumbing the sump to the basement, so I have a lot of flexibility! Can't wait to see what you do!
Is your RO/DI unit in the basement? You could use a brute trash can as a RO reservoir.
Check this thread out
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-a-good-rodi-water-storage-container.65688/

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 15 or 20 gallon tank I got from Petco for cheap at one of their $1 a gallon sales. It holds enough water so I only have to fill it up once a week, but doesn't look too bad sitting beside my stand. It has the glass top to keep it covered, and I just cut out a small corner on the top back plastic piece to run the tubing into it.

If you use a large top off container, I'd encourage you to have some sort of fail safe to prevent your ATO pump sticking on and dumping 15+ gallons of R0 water in your tank. I use the more expensive tunze that has the optical eye and a back up float switch that will turn the pump off just in case. The extra money for that kind of fail safe is worth it in my opinion.

20171210_104957.jpg

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. It runs to a float switch in my sump. It draws 15 gallons from left tank and when it gets low I switch the valve and draw another 15 gallons from the right tank. If the float switch was to ever get stuck it could only dump 15 gallons at most which my sump can hold and my apex would alert me. That has never happened though. This last me two weeks in my 200 gallon total tank.

20171113_125906.jpg

20171122_111627.jpg

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. It runs to a float switch in my sump. It draws 15 gallons from left tank and when it gets low I switch the valve and draw another 15 gallons from the right tank. If the float switch was to ever get stuck it could only dump 15 gallons at most which my sump can hold and my apex would alert me. That has never happened though. This last me two weeks in my 200 gallon total tank.

20171113_125906.jpg

20171122_111627.jpg
Now you're just showing off :) very nice!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you're just showing off :) very nice!

I did a water change one time with 5 gallon buckets and said never again, ha. Now I let the salt mix for an hour, turn a valve that pumps 25 gallons out of my tank, turn another valve that pumps 25 gallons of new saltwater mix back into the tank. Takes 10 minutes and the hardest part is turning a valve.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 15 or 20 gallon tank I got from Petco for cheap at one of their $1 a gallon sales. It holds enough water so I only have to fill it up once a week, but doesn't look too bad sitting beside my stand. It has the glass top to keep it covered, and I just cut out a small corner on the top back plastic piece to run the tubing into it.

If you use a large top off container, I'd encourage you to have some sort of fail safe to prevent your ATO pump sticking on and dumping 15+ gallons of R0 water in your tank. I use the more expensive tunze that has the optical eye and a back up float switch that will turn the pump off just in case. The extra money for that kind of fail safe is worth it in my opinion.

20171210_104957.jpg
I use a Tunze as well. Love the backup!!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20171113_125906.jpg

20171122_111627.jpg

Where did you get your containers??? I’d love details in how you set it up! It might look more complicated than it is. But this is kind of what I was looking for. Although the tank idea would be fine too. @crabs_mcjones - yes. It’s in the basement. So I have a lot of flexibility.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2a33759352e7a0e7e9725f1800867044.jpg

16 gallon Ace Roto mold conical, small jebao pump controlled by Autotopoff.com electronic redundant flow switch.

16 gallon conical came from rural King locally. Got lucky that they had one in stock.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your containers???

I can't speak for where Daltrey got his, but I have two 40 gallon Ace Roto Mold containers I got from rural king online. They have some great deals on shipping that was better than anywhere else I saw. My setup isn't near as nice as Daltrey's as I don't have them plumbed together. I dont have the luxury of having them plumbed straight to my sump either due to my layout. But having a large water station for mixing and water storage has been one of the best things I ever did. I highly recommend it. If you search the forums, there are some other great setups to make you jealous.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for where Daltrey got his, but I have two 40 gallon Ace Roto Mold containers I got from rural king online. They have some great deals on shipping that was better than anywhere else I saw. My setup isn't near as nice as Daltrey's as I don't have them plumbed together. I dont have the luxury of having them plumbed straight to my sump either due to my layout. But having a large water station for mixing and water storage has been one of the best things I ever did. I highly recommend it. If you search the forums, there are some other great setups to make you jealous.

Awesome!! Thank you!! I will start looking! :) Like you said, even if I can just have a larger storage container, that will be awesome!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20171113_125906.jpg

20171122_111627.jpg

Do you use one of these for saltwater?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use one of these for saltwater?

I use the one on the right to mix saltwater only on the days I do a water change. The rest of the time they are both my ato water. I've been doing 25 gallon water changes twice a month but thinking of changing it to once a month.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the one on the right to mix saltwater only on the days I do a water change. The rest of the time they are both my ato water. I've been doing 25 gallon water changes twice a month but thinking of changing it to once a month.
A good friend does 8-10 gallon changes once a week and has had great success! I am thinking about trying it!

Donald Goldsworthy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 55 gallon plastic drum mixing station. I use my left side for my RO/DI water. It has an Avast barrel tender on top hooked to my apex. My 60 cube and 75 gallon tank both run Avast perastaltic pump ATOs. Apex monitors my salinity. And both tanks have hi/low sensors and leak detection.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back