Let's see your bestest and ugliest ghetto mods or builds!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spacer on return pipe.

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium want's to grow Ha instead of chaeto. Hey it's a nutrient export so I don't care. However it's a pita to clean off the glass. So I hung a screen in there likw a scrubber& lined the inside walls & floor with white plastic cardboard. I learned the ha doesn't like to grow on the plastic & I used white to see if it might reflect some light back into the ref. I started this Dec 16th & the screen is already greening up. Any Op's or ideas to improve the design?

HPIM8913.JPG

Might as well make it into an ATS

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this actually perform?

Water is pumped from the sump through the coiled hose inside the fridge and back to the sump... I use an Inkbird controller to turn on the pump to cool or heat the aquarium as needed...

If I ever redo the diy chiller, I’ll use a larger fridge and more coils of tubing (or a water reservoir instead )...

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I remember the days of the diy pvc overflow. Many a flooded dorm room for this guy due to those set ups.

I like the chiller idea. I wonder if that would keep up.

I should have used a bigger refrigerator and more coils (or a reservoir)...

It’s good in a pinch... it buys me extra time to get the temp back down...

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have used a bigger refrigerator and more coils (or a reservoir)...

It’s good in a pinch... it buys me extra time to get the temp back down...

From what I've read refrigerators can't do much as far as cooling capacity. You could be at the limit of what you will get. I've seen cheap chillers for $260 which would work better but evaporation would be the cheapest and work the best.

IMG_3977.PNG

IMG_3978.PNG

Last edited:

Allen752

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is pumped from the sump through the coiled hose inside the fridge and back to the sump... I use an Inkbird controller to turn on the pump to cool or heat the aquarium as needed...

If I ever redo the diy chiller, I’ll use a larger fridge and more coils of tubing (or a water reservoir instead )...
Are you use ITC-308 from Inkbird? How about the cool and heat goes? works good?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is JB Weld saltwater resistant?

Yes it is I have used jb weld on at least 1 piece of equipment in every tank I have ever owned. I even dropped a reef octo external skimmer off my counter once and it shattered and I JB welded it back together. Just never ever ever use the JB clear weld 2 part. It says in the msds harmful to aquatic life for long term effects. All the rest are safe to my knowledge but I just just the standard jb weld it works

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back