Let's see your bestest and ugliest ghetto mods or builds!

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the inkbird as well. Excellent little gadget. I have one on my tank, on on the chickens watering bucket, and one I used to replace my outdoor wood boiler thermostat. All working great.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some classic ghetto stuff back when money was tight. All those pics are in Photobucket, I couldn't get in last time I tried.

Jerome Woodward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old laptop sitting there for the seneye

20180104_183702.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an extremely custom angled sump. Baffles were too big.
IMG_7099.JPG

Super high technologies advanced electronics control panel board. I think I'll patent it.
IMG_7471.JPG
This is good to know, as I was checking out their 40 breeder kit.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to absolutly steel this idea, I have been trying to decide how I was going to cover my over flow.

Go ahead, this is why we post:D.

I should note, the holes are rather small and Ive had my salinity drop due to over topping off from ATO. Sludge builds up and its hard to remove, I since made little rectangle cutouts (2 small squares wide) and it has reduced the amount of Top Off water but still to the point I must clean them daily (a little irritating for myself). I might start using a toothbrush to maintenance them.

With that said, I've found baby brittle stars on them so they are keeping the things I want to stay in my display.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead, this is why we post:D.

I should note, the holes are rather small and Ive had my salinity drop due to over topping off from ATO. Sludge builds up and its hard to remove, I since made little rectangle cutouts (2 small squares wide) and it has reduced the amount of Top Off water but still to the point I must clean them daily (a little irritating for myself). I might start using a toothbrush to maintenance them.

With that said, I've found baby brittle stars on them so they are keeping the things I want to stay in my display.

I was actually thinking for the top of my overflow. I figure I may have to cover the grill one day am going to try and avoid it. But I think the same design could be used on top of it, to keep fish out of the overflow. Excellent idea sir and thanks for the tips if I use on the grill of the overflow.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was actually thinking for the top of my overflow. I figure I may have to cover the grill one day am going to try and avoid it. But I think the same design could be used on top of it, to keep fish out of the overflow. Excellent idea sir and thanks for the tips if I use on the grill of the overflow.

Ahhh lol. Your welcome :)

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this and immediately thought of this thread when I had finished. After switching my lights to a model without moonlights I got sick of not having that faint glow to peek in on everyone before bed. So this is my temporary solution.
2018-01-24-19-31-35.jpg

2018-01-24-19-31-58.jpg

2018-01-24-19-32-31.jpg

I am actually fairly impressed at how well it worked out and may redo it so instead of being wrapped all over it is just on the top of the canopy. I will need to order some clasps for that because the tape that comes on the back of the lights is garbage lol. I have them hooked up to my reefkeeper, but they are dimmable and I can make them flash red and green for Christmas lol (that's a joke).

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG

14 gallon Coralife Biocube with “Joey” overflow and 20 gallon Rubbermaid sump with ice buckets to contain live rock, macro algae an mini skimmer...
IMG_1842.JPG

DIY chiller - mini fridge, reinforced tubing with tubing coiled in cage made from Closet Maid shelving... Hummingbird controller...
Does this work? I've been thinking about doing this

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I was hesitant to try it for that reason... the pvc “cup” on the left side of the sump will run dry if the water level drops to its rim...

The chiller works ok for my cube... it could use more volume, though... couldn’t find the perfect jug to fit to maximize the volume of water in the chiller...
What about using smaller tubing to decrease the amount of flow and increase volume.

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this work? I've been thinking about doing this
I’ve had no issues, so far... I switched return pumps to a more powerful, variable speed Jebao to improve turnover... I also used a larger “anti-overflow” container connected directly to the Jebao which has run-dry protection...

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using smaller tubing to decrease the amount of flow and increase volume.
It’s worth a try... my next attempt will likely be a larger refrigerator with more tubing (same diameter) or a single reservoir of chilled water...

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s worth a try... my next attempt will likely be a larger refrigerator with more tubing (same diameter) or a single reservoir of chilled water...
I like the idea of putting a reservoir on the fridge. Let it hold for an hour then pump nice and slow?

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater bracket:

9d5d731ee267bba7631d145c539a88dc.jpg
Love this setup, I am switching to a poly stock tank for my sump and was thinking of ways to mount a heater. I see that you said they are 1/2" tee's cut down have you test fit different heaters or are all heaters the same diameter?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this setup, I am switching to a poly stock tank for my sump and was thinking of ways to mount a heater. I see that you said they are 1/2" tee's cut down have you test fit different heaters or are all heaters the same diameter?

Thank you! I wouldn't think all heaters are the same diameter. I measured the shaft of the heaters I use to determine the size I needed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back