Let's talk about food ie Reef Roids

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning folks.

Recently I started using Reef Roids in my tank but was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with it, prior to using that I was using microvor from Brightwell. so far I have had no problems with reef roids but have read a few posts of it being a nightmare and killing their tanks. I thought I would ask here since this is my most trusted source of information.

Happy Humpday

Thanks

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed reef roids to my coral twice a week and other than sometimes my skimmer goes crazy afterwards I don't notice any negative effects. I've read that it raises nitrates (and maybe phosphates) which mine are a little high but nothing that is alarming for me, and I'm not necessarily blaming it on the reef roids.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use it according to your nutrient levels, if raised then use less, I use it mixed with Red Sea reef energy but once every 2 weeks or thereabouts

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using it for years. I make a paste out of it with reef chili and mysis. 2-3 times a week. As long as your system can handle it, it doesn’t matter if it’s roids, aminos, regular flake food. If your biofiltration isn’t up to par you’ll polite the tank. Just baby step it and increase with time.
image.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed at least once a week mixed with ab+.
Haven't noticed anything crazy with parameters but run my nutrients a little higher than most.
Shrooms love it.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use reef roids to target feed my torch and trachyphylia once a week with no problems at all

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the feedback guys, I will keep an eye on my parameters.
Thought I'd mention i use about half or a little less per feeding by spot feeding. If you can turn off flow usually works good right before water change. Hit them all with a bit. May take a cpl feedings to get them acclimated but my shrooms including tiny babies with barely visible mouths know when it's feed time now and close up almost instantly.
Should help with keeping params in check as well. Little goes along way spot feeding.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have a tank that is fairly mature and a good understanding of how to deal with nutrient export. If you don't this will fuel a algae outbreak that will be hard to control. Using this type of thing needs to be taken with caution, and used judiciously.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started out feeding reef roids for the fact i bought into the hype, some folks love it and have success with it.

after i noticed my phosphates going sky high, i switched to benepets and coral feast with no effect of phosphates

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I purchased it when i first started the hobby and never used it due to Phosphate spikes i've read on here.

However, my good husbandry and keeping up with my tank i've dialed in a 0 nitrates, and 0.02 phosphates. Recently, i used reef roids to bring my Phosphates up for my SPS

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back