Lets talk about frag sizes and coral prices!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay away from vendors that sell really small frags (like 1/2 to 3/4"). There was one vendor that had a frag on his site of an acropora "frag" that didn't have over 3 or 4 polyps on it!

I've ordered enough from varied vendors enough to know which one's assessment of size is on target (or better yet consistently sends bigger frags than advertised). On acropora vendor that I love to do business with falls in that category. In fact if I have pretty sizeable order he will throw in one or two free frags of value equal to the ones I ordered. That's the kind of business I'll support.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, while I like frag classification in terms of size, it really is all for naught. The price of a "frag", by whatever size descriptive name you would like to call it, is determined by simple economics. The demand will be determining the price. If we want to change things, we have only to look at ourselves, as the consumers, to be responsible for the prices the sellers are charging. You, @JoshO nailed it. "They" will charge whatever "we" are willing to pay.

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, while I like frag classification in terms of size, it really is all for naught. The price of a "frag", by whatever size descriptive name you would like to call it, is determined by simple economics. The demand will be determining the price. If we want to change things, we have only to look at ourselves, as the consumers, to be responsible for the prices the sellers are charging. You, @JoshO nailed it. "They" will charge whatever "we" are willing to pay.
Exactly the point I was getting at! Ultimately we can control the market if, as a collective, we agree to. But unfortunately there will always be those who are willing (not necessarily happy) to pay crazy prices was nubs of corals!
I think a size classification would be a good start as it allows consumers to know exactly what they're getting, and also prevents vendors from making them increasingly smaller!

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly the point I was getting at! Ultimately we can control the market if, as a collective, we agree to. But unfortunately there will always be those who are willing (not necessarily happy) to pay crazy prices was nubs of corals!
I think a size classification would be a good start as it allows consumers to know exactly what they're getting, and also prevents vendors from making them increasingly smaller!
Spread the word! No more crazy prices for nubs

73b448bab57035cd46c98fc39e011eff.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back