Lets talk about High Nutrients, Light Spectrum and Coloration and the correlation if any?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most definitely witnessing a certain trend of the toxic and solid green coloration starting to show up in alot of my mushrooms and other corals lately.
Not sure if this has anything to do with this or not.
I did experience a Nitrate overdose that was beyond registerable for a couple weeks before I caught it a few months back.
Nitrate overdose did completely deplete my Phosphates during this time.
I have also changed my Reef Radience black box out to a Reef Breeders Photon V2+ sometime in last 4-6 weeks as well. Which I'm running super close to @brsinvestigates softy settings reccomendations.
Besides that after getting Nitrates pretty locked in between 15-20 and Phosphates back up to around .15 nothing else has changed. Matter of fact its been pretty stable for a couple months.
I will add that since getting everything stable and changing out my lamp and getting new one dialed in. I have also been experiencing alot of growth and bouncing on shrooms that where doing sub par at best.
Anyhow getting back to the trend in coloration I'm seeing.
Its not only happening in my shrooms.
Check out the green marbling starting to happen in my WWC grafted cap.
20200905_171526.jpg

As well as one of my bounces with the toxic green marbling in cap and bounces that have shown up last month or 2.
20200905_171630.jpg

Solid green has really started popping in this Poletti JB. Matter of fact its solid green with only red speckles and marbling.
20200906_161619.jpg

Its for sure not in my brain. Looking for answers why and how its happening now.
Did my Lighting change or Nitrate overdose throw some kinda crazy mutation or bring certain aspects of coloration to the front or is it a combination of all of the above?

Anyone experience anything similar?

Would like to discuss

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bumping a blue light special showing the green a little better.
20200906_181836.jpg

Doesn't matter what spectrum though the toxic bright greens are easily seen in any light now. Heres another one that isn't so much toxic green but is starting to color up nicely.
20200905_171659.jpg

I'm going to keep bumping this thread until we get into any kind of real discussion regarding spectrum, nutrients, coloration, intensity and bouncing bubbles so lets here what you got:)

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sold orange Leptoseris that grew into a Molten Lava Leptoseris with GFPs (green fluorescent proteins) and the green was transferred. However, over time the green disappeared again from the orange coral when they were no longer touching. Can the green be transferred over distance? Not sure, but I'd be more inclined to think that the GSP you're seeing was present, but needed certain environment conditions (higher light, nutrients, etc.) to become visible and/or dominant.

Interesting topic. Might want to check out Dana Riddles work with fluorescent proteins for a more concise answer.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sold orange Leptoseris that grew into a Molten Lava Leptoseris with GFPs (green fluorescent proteins) and the green was transferred. However, over time the green disappeared again from the orange coral when they were no longer touching. Can the green be transferred over distance? Not sure, but I'd be more inclined to think that the GSP you're seeing was present, but needed certain environment conditions (higher light, nutrients, etc.) to become visible and/or dominant.

Interesting topic. Might want to check out Dana Riddles work with fluorescent proteins for a more concise answer.
Interesting @Nano sapiens thank you for your input. Just to clarify one thing from your post you mentioned GFP's being transferred but later reffered to GSP was it a typo?
The only coral I had in my system through it all was JF minecraft shroom that showed anything close to the toxic green im seeing in these other corals. I dont believe its ever touched anything and has been in nursery long before light change or nutrient stabilization so I'd have to rule that out.
Although I do still have it in my system.
20200424_165103.jpg

I'd love to hear what @Dana Riddle or @Thales has to say or anyone else that has any kind of input on the matter.
I don't believe its been explored enough.
Don't know why but strongly feel this subject needs to be explored to its fullest.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mystery, but often repeated observation that the presences of nutrients and light and stability provide the environment for corals to thrive. When they do, colors often get brighter and we say the tank is happy.

As far as corals trading pigments, yup, I have seen that also. Comes and goes and who know how or why they trade stuff but the color changes appear to be along the line of a straight across pigment transfer. Often florescent greens get passed to duller corals so those changes are obvious with causal observations. The movement of dull pigments might happen unnoticed?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mystery, but often repeated observation that the presences of nutrients and light and stability provide the environment for corals to thrive. When they do, colors often get brighter and we say the tank is happy.

As far as corals trading pigments, yup, I have seen that also. Comes and goes and who know how or why they trade stuff but the color changes appear to be along the line of a straight across pigment transfer. Often florescent greens get passed to duller corals so those changes are obvious with causal observations. The movement of dull pigments might happen unnoticed?

As I stated in previous post. The only coral i had with the toxic green in my system was that JF minecraft.
I believe doubtful they touched. But to touch them all impossible.
Some where added after the minecraft was segregated to nursery.
That being said. Its other half did melt away into the system. Is it possible the other corals absorbed the pigments?
Yes I do find that possible as i was finding it everywhere.

That brings me to something else I have observed though. I have a shroom that wasn't bouncing before light and nutrient change pictured above. Could be things stabilized and I got things dialed.
But what made it bounce. Was it intensity, spectrum, nutrients being dialed or all of the above?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a typo and should be 'GFP'
Right on thats what I was thinking thank you for clarification and comments.
Never would have thought about the melting minecraft dissolving and the possibility of my others corals absorbing the pigments somehow.
Is that even possible?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick rundown of bouncing shroom I mentioned earlier and a progression of pictures through out its time in my system.
When I recieved it. In lower nutrients and Par. But stable.
20200801_155405.jpg

Same shroom shortly after Nitrate OD.
20200801_161431.jpg

To a couple months later after light change, spectrum, par intensity, nutrient boost and stabilization
20200906_181836.jpg

This shroom has changed on every level.
Probably doubled in size since lamp change 4-6 weeks ago.
Why and how?
Is anyone experiencing similar growth in correlation to higher nutrients, spectrum or par specifically in mushroom corals?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily bump for conversation, observations. Share your experiences, thoughts, data. Anything?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for info :)
Thoughts or anything anyone has on the subject. Observations. Knowledge or tell me I'm crazy its all good lol

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Bump to see 2 month progress. I am also starting to dose no3 and po4 to slowly bring up my nutrients.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's doing really well all settled in and growing, coloring up like crazy.
@Thales has a great build thread if your looking for some super healthy colorful corals at higher nutrients you should definetely check his out. As well as @SBB Corals is also having great success on a higher nutrient diet.
Everything is pretty stabil here.
Nitrates haven't moved been sitting at 10-15ppm no matter what I do.
My Phosphates did creep up close to
.2 so I ran some chemipure elite and brought it down to around .03-05. However I took it out because I did not want to bottom them out.
I'm just going to let thing settle where they settle and let it run from here on out. Don't make sense chasing numbers when my corals are happy. Seems like the more I do they don't like it anyway.
20201201_084212.jpg
20201125_144018.jpg
20201125_144008.jpg
20201125_111710.jpg
20201125_093530.jpg
20201125_085711.jpg

Id go easy dosing phosphates. It took a few weeks to get them up dosing and checking everyday and someday not even getting them to register. Somewhere around week 3 I checked and they where sitting at .15

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
The colors are so vibrant!! Yep I 100% agree I never chase numbers, stability is king. I have been following SBB's High end SPS thread. How did you originally get your No3 and Po4 up, dosing?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors are so vibrant!! Yep I 100% agree I never chase numbers, stability is king. I have been following SBB's High end SPS thread. How did you originally get your No3 and Po4 up, dosing?
Sodium Nitrate for No3
Mono Potassium Phosphate for Po4
Think Greenleaf sells a kit with both.
I use James Planted Tank calculator for measurements.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back