Let's talk about household items that can kill your tank!

BRS
AS

Pattys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Certain scented candles. My wife daughter starting burning one few weeks ago. Stunk the whole house up and within 10 minutes some of my shrooms where balled up ready to bail. Fish even started breathing rapidly and my skimmer lines are ran outside. Just the little bit of fumes that got sucked into my overflows and mixed with water greatly upset my tank. Almost instantly.
Don't burn scented candles. We are staying away from scented anything now.
Really didn’t think scented candles are an issue. But now makes sense.

LRT

FrankNPeeps;)
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Really didn’t think scented candles are an issue. But now makes sense.
Yeah I've read about the horror stories but finally found out about it the hard way.
Thanks for reminding me here. This is the one you dont want to burn.
20210718_100103.jpg

Calm Blue Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Saw a Reddit post today that made me think of this thread. If you're curious as to the extent of the effects of diffusers in your home, this person's eucalyptus oil diffuser was turning all flames in the home orange. Hard not to wonder what else that's doing. :eek:

gr8pretender

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Also be careful about washing your hands before putting your hands in the tank ESPECIALLY Dawn dish soap. I had thought I saw the back of my hand a little spot of bubbles right before I stuck my hands in my tank and sure enough when skimmer came on it was foaming like crazy. I spent a couple hours manually skimming the foam to avoid a late night water change and fearing I was going to crash my tank after reading some horror stories with dish soap. I think an emerald crab died from this and maybe a coral IIRC but I got lucky, no other inverts died and all the fish survived. I did a big water change the next day and now even though I’d prefer to clean my hands before I stick them in the tank, I don’t worry about it because what ever is naturally on my hands is definitely not as bad as soap. Or if I do wash, I make sure to thoroughly remove soap and residue.

susanpoythr

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi everyone, wanted to start this thread so everyone can chime in on household items that can potentially cause a huge wipeout. For example, burning candles or spraying aerosols near the tank can be deadly. What are some household items or practices you have heard of that can wipe out your entire tank? Please chime in and leave some insight based on your experiences.
Burning a candle in a bathroom is harmful?

AS

sntmods

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Absolutely!!! Kids and spouses!!! My wife was mad and drunk one day. She decided to dump a years worth of New Life spectrum pellets in my 54 gallon. Didn’t realize she did it. Woke up the next morning. Living room stunk of ammonia. Bacterial bloom from hell. Lost some fish to this. Was almost grounds for a Divorce. Ammonia was off the charts. 100% water change, prime, and a bottle of Biospira later, things finally returned to normal. I was a very, very angry person. Here’s a before and after.

A5867A0A-60E7-4051-89EA-C50F7E095259.jpeg DEC203D6-C290-4192-9894-0B1B80B6BC97.jpeg
Im fairly certain that an act like that would absolutely be grounds for divorce. That's actively taking part in causing the deaths of living things. That's some seriously messed up stuff.

BRS

What is the best "cleaning product" or home recipe for cleaning reef tank equipment?

• Water and scrubbing

Votes: 59 12.4%
  • Citric Acid

Votes: 227 47.9%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 153 32.3%
  • Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Lemon Juice

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 4.2%