Lets talk about live ocean rock and why why we so scared bruh?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be real the only pest I haven't been able to defeat is spirobid worms i got as hitchhiker from a major vendor on this site!
I got tons of pictures (over 30k)through all kinds of experimentals just sayin ahead of time;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a spirobid worm?

What are you calling live ocean rock?

Is AquaTouch still in business?
@HuduVudu
I got my rock from Dan at gulfliverock.com with around 18-25 yrs soak before I cured it for last 2-3 yrs.
I'm calling spirobid worms what they are-
Screenshot_20211126-193541_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HuduVudu where u at dawg?
Lets talk about real ocean rock or the closest we can get to it-
I paid around $2/lb shipped to nearest hub but I order 200lbs. Still have pix somewhere.
You thinking its not possible to get ocean rock or whats you angle?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been real curious about ocean rock lately. Never done it before but I'm thinking about trying it for my next tank

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HuduVudu where u at dawg?
I am in Southern Texas ... tag says it all. :)

My store was in Tempe, then I moved it to Mesa. It was a ish show. I was so stupid and my timing was impecible. Transfered store 9/1/2001. That was when I really realized live rock was legit and since I bought the store there were very very old tanks and I was using them to cure. I had some really really amazing live rock. In fact that rock was keeping the store afloat for far longer than it should have.

After store failed did maintenance that didn't work much better, but I had a tank at Mayo for a while. I just look back and think about how dumb I was. :(
Lets talk about real ocean rock or the closest we can get to it-
I paid around $2/lb shipped to nearest hub but I order 200lbs. Still have pix somewhere.
I believe you. I just wasn't sure what you were refering to as ocean rock. Too many people in this hobby are trying to be the inventor of "new" things.

My rock is from Live Rock and Reef. At or near the same plot as where you got yours. Seriously the best rock I have ever seen ... no die off and the amount of "free" kewl things is unreal.
You thinking its not possible to get ocean rock or whats you angle?
Ohhh no I 100% believe live rock is available. My angle is I used to work at AquaTouch, just wonder what their longevity is and if Kinsley is still slinging fish.

I was going to go back to Phoenix for MACNA but when they did the crazy crap "because" of covaids I was like nope no way never. I will never ever do MACNA. I miss Phoenix, it was a difficult but good time in my life. Sorry for the nostalga.

Mostly I am just trying to bump your thread :p

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally insane man ocean rock was the only option back in the day when I was getting into reefing.

I think it would be awesome to have all of that authentic life in your tank. If anyone has any recommendations let me know! :)

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Southern Texas ... tag says it all. :)

My store was in Tempe, then I moved it to Mesa. It was a ish show. I was so stupid and my timing was impecible. Transfered store 9/1/2001. That was when I really realized live rock was legit and since I bought the store there were very very old tanks and I was using them to cure. I had some really really amazing live rock. In fact that rock was keeping the store afloat for far longer than it should have.

After store failed did maintenance that didn't work much better, but I had a tank at Mayo for a while. I just look back and think about how dumb I was. :(

I believe you. I just wasn't sure what you were refering to as ocean rock. Too many people in this hobby are trying to be the inventor of "new" things.

My rock is from Live Rock and Reef. At or near the same plot as where you got yours. Seriously the best rock I have ever seen ... no die off and the amount of "free" kewl things is unreal.

Ohhh no I 100% believe live rock is available. My angle is I used to work at AquaTouch, just wonder what their longevity is and if Kinsley is still slinging fish.

I was going to go back to Phoenix for MACNA but when they did the crazy crap "because" of covaids I was like nope no way never. I will never ever do MACNA. I miss Phoenix, it was a difficult but good time in my life. Sorry for the nostalga.

Mostly I am just trying to bump your thread :p
Much reef love.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be awesome to have all of that authentic life in your tank. If anyone has any recommendations let me know! :)
Any of the Gulf Rock is going to be amazing.

Here is mine from Live Rock and Reef:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I’m scared of is bobbits and other eunicids. Other than that bring it on!
I had a bobbit worm with mine. They are actually kind of kewl. Likely if you get them they will be small. I think they feed off of bristle worms and amphipods when they are small.

So the trick with them is that they build a burrow. You will see it, once you know what you are looking for. It has a bunch of larger than your sand sized rocks, glued together with what looks like slicone sealer. It usually goes back into or under something. Just wait and watch you will see it's head pop out. You can get the complete worm by pulling the thing that it is attached too and scraping from the back forward the burrow. When I got mine out I took it to the LFS and let the triggers see what they thought. Seems bobbits don't fair well in this situation.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I definitely love my purchase from gulfliverock.com (price was good too)

They don't look very interesting, I am hoping that won't be a problem once the sticks grow.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely love my purchase from gulfliverock.com (price was good too)

They don't look very interesting, I am hoping that won't be a problem once the sticks grow.
What did you get? I've journal 3' gorgs, 7-8inch rfa, softball sized clams etc. Gotta get the primo. The regular should be better than the rest. Either way I'm pretty sure there's only a cpl sites to get it from and they are all mostly getting rock from gulfliverock.com;)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look very interesting,
OMG ... the rocks don't mean anything. LOL they are from a quarry.

The life is what you get. I got two gorgonians, a very interesting green LPS. Some sort of carpety type of brain coral. Red macro (two types), halamida, large clams and a large sponge. The amount of life on that rock is unbeliviable. All still alive. I did lose an LPS because my butterfly was hungry and ripped it off of it's skeleton.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back